Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Scaling and clipping control in XLD ? (Read 3677 times) previous topic - next topic

Scaling and clipping control in XLD ?

Hi,

Didn't know where to post this topic, since it is more related to a specific software than AAC in itself... Anyway :

I am using XLD (on OS X) to convert CDs (or FLAC files) to AAC. In the options I can't see any way to scale down the input audio before compression, so as to reduce the chances of clipping after decompression. In older times I was using the Lame command-line with --scale 0.98, which was just fine.

Actually this question applies whatever the lossy compression codec selected in XLD.

Reply #1
I understand what you are trying to prevent, and in theory this seems like good practice, but to my knowledge it has never been demonstrated that this clipping is in fact ever audible.

Reply #2
What you're attempting to do isn't possible within XLD.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #3
Some newer CDs I've bought have TONS of clipping and you're right, I can't hear it. However, when an amplifier clips - sometimes just barely - it can be noticeable. I assume it's because of the 'hangover' as the amp come out of clipping there is a lag followed by a fast transition as the output comes out of saturation to the normal signal. The clipping on the CD does not have that delay and looks like the signal was simply cut off with a scissor - 'clipped'.

Reply #4
Some newer CDs I've bought have TONS of clipping and you're right, I can't hear it.

I know one that is heavily clipped and sounds awful (I mean even the CD) : Metallica's Death Magnetic.

Reply #6
Some newer CDs I've bought have TONS of clipping and you're right, I can't hear it.

I know one that is heavily clipped and sounds awful (I mean even the CD) : Metallica's Death Magnetic.

Thats a different type of clipping.

Different from the one I was talking about in my first post, but not from the one Glenn was talking about just above.