Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: UPNP and opus support (Read 3913 times) previous topic - next topic

UPNP and opus support

Having recently switched to using opus for my lossy library I can find no support for this format with UPNP server software.

I am using Linux on either a raspberry pi or an odroid u3. I had good experience with minidlna with ogg vorbis in the past. Afaik minidlna has not yet support for opus.

Has anyone found a upnp solution for opus that works for them? Or should I switch back to ogg vorbis? Tia.

Re: UPNP and opus support

Reply #1
Update. I have trialled Asset UPnP however I found that playback would kind of hang at the end of each track. This was on the odroid U3, for which device this software is strictly speaking not supported, though it works fine with flac. 

I tried changing the file extension to opus.ogg instead of the normal opus. Playback worked in minidlna but no tags could be read, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I discovered that there is a patched version of minidlna with opus support which I will try next.

Reply #2
you can use mediatomb which support transcoding opus into wav

Reply #3
Thanks, but that would kind of defeat the purpose to my way of thinking? Up to now I have kept my music files in flac format, and shared them via upnp on the network. Since I also transcode to opus for portable use,  I was wondering if I could use an opus library also with upnp. With less bits to move around it would presumably be easier on the network, more responsive etc. Potentially I could also switch from using a usb hard drive to an sd card. It just seems more efficient overall. Transcoding would increase the load on the cpu and the network, as well as reducing responsiveness?

Reply #4
I use a raspberry Pi with Hifiberry and a external DAC to stream files (WavPack & FLAC). I use Foobar with uPNP plugin. It streams everything losslessly to the PI. It plays Opus fine, but it is decoded on the Laptop and then sent to the PI, not problem with Wifi AC (Also N is fine).

Everything that plays on Foobar plays on the PI, even Tone://x

My RBPI has an Ethernet connection (cable). Laptop is wireless.

Reply #5
I use a raspberry Pi with Hifiberry and a external DAC to stream files (WavPack & FLAC). I use Foobar with uPNP plugin. It streams everything losslessly to the PI. It plays Opus fine, but it is decoded on the Laptop and then sent to the PI, not problem with Wifi AC (Also N is fine).

Everything that plays on Foobar plays on the PI, even Tone://x

My RBPI has an Ethernet connection (cable). Laptop is wireless.

Thank you. If I understand correctly you are using foobar as the server, presumably on windows. Unfortunately this would not work in my situation as I am running a headless Linux server.

I have done some more experimentation with Asset and it seems to be working now. I am also playing around with mpd - not so easy to set up. I am using the built-in http stream, but that seems to be transcoding so causing the odd stutter.

I would be interested in any views on mpd vs upnp.