Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vote for Opus and Ogg Vorbis support in the next IE! (Read 5232 times) previous topic - next topic

Vote for Opus and Ogg Vorbis support in the next IE!

You can do it here and maybe in the next version of Internet Explorer we will be able to listen music in the Opus and Ogg Vorbis formats online.

Reply #1
Also, one of the biggest websites in the world - Wikipedia - supports both via Wikimedia Commons. And Opus includes some Microsoft (Skype) technology that they could brag about.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #2
Also, one of the biggest websites in the world - Wikipedia - supports both via Wikimedia Commons. And Opus includes some Microsoft (Skype) technology that they could brag about.

You can write it in the comments for the suggestion.

Reply #3
Don't really care for IE (until they do something impressive with their browser) but voted because not having IE support Opus is one of the main reason sites don't even use it...

Reply #4
Also you can support this formats:
APNG — animated PNG (it's very useful for small animations like preloaders )
WebP — another image format
WebM — audio/video format from Google (includes Ogg Vorbis and Opus as audio)
WOFF 2.0 — new smaller font format
(sorry for an offtopic)

Reply #5
Microsoft has already announced that it will not support WebRTC 1.0, which has adopted Opus.  While there is nothing to stop IE supporting Opus standalone, I can't see it happening.

Microsoft has dithered and dragged its feet for years trying to kill WebRTC either directly or by producing conflicting standards, but now appears to be supporting ORTC which can be (probably will be) incorporated within WebRTC.  If Microsoft then finally moves into the same century as everyone else (I'm assuming Safari will have got on board by then, as it already seems to be quietly preparing to support WebRTC) then Opus support will inevitably follow.  That is probably where pressure should be applied.

Ogg Vorbis is a different matter.  I can quite easily see Microsoft just refusing to support it.  Ever.

Reply #6
Microsoft has already announced that it will not support WebRTC 1.0, which has adopted Opus.

Maybe Microsoft will change their mind. At least WebRTC suggestion was posted by Microsoft employee.

Reply #7
I wish they would just adopt Opus as the next Windows Media Audio.  They can easily cover both music and voice with it.

Reply #8
Looks like they've commited to supporting Opus, at least for WebRTC  video/audio conferencing (or their slightly different version of WebRTC anyway, I think it's compatible but they seem to take pains to suggest it's different):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/10...to-the-web.aspx