Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSF to AIFF (Read 6756 times) previous topic - next topic

DSF to AIFF

I have lot's of SACD rip, do you think it's better to keep them in DSF format or it's ok to make them to AIFF ? Is it the same result in the end or do DSF sound better ?

thanks

DSF to AIFF

Reply #1
I have lot's of SACD rip, do you think it's better to keep them in DSF format or it's ok to make them to AIFF ? Is it the same result in the end or do DSF sound better ?

thanks

I recommend to keep in original format, because any conversion in PCM will degrade quality. I found that even vinyl rips sound much better if done in DSD even with following real time PCM conversion at listening. DS became my favorite codec. SACD sound just amazing.

DSF to AIFF

Reply #2
I recommend to keep in original format, because any conversion in PCM will degrade quality.

So you do have some test results to back this up right? And you're going to post them.

DSF to AIFF

Reply #3
I recommend to keep in original format, because any conversion in PCM will degrade quality.

So you do have some test results to back this up right? And you're going to post them.

It is, after all, a lossy process. Converting to PCM requires downsampling by a huge factor, as well as running a significant low pass filter to reduce the huge amount of noise still left in the signal.

DSF to AIFF

Reply #4
It is, after all, a lossy process. Converting to PCM requires downsampling by a huge factor, as well as running a significant low pass filter to reduce the huge amount of noise still left in the signal.

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused I guess, there's been lots of discussion about the benefits of DSD and whether it's even necessary/better than PCM and I seem to remember that it isn't? I could be mistaken.

DSF to AIFF

Reply #5

You lose the ultrasonic part of the recording, which is necessarily filtered out on playback anyway. So you might call the conversion process lossy, but it should not degrade the perceived quality (unless the converter does something wrong).

DSF to AIFF

Reply #6
Most people here will tell you that 16-bit 44.1kHz is audibly transparent, and the human ear needs nothing better. Hence assuming you do the conversion properly, it will make no audible difference.

If it was me, I would have 16-bit 44.1kHz FLACs for normal use as part of my library, but keep the SACD rips in case I needed them for something (most likely: playing them to see if I or anyone else can hear any difference  ).

btw, my SACD-sourced FLACs would in turn be converted to mp3s for portable use, and they would still sound wonderful (assuming the original SACD was recorded+mastered carefully - this being more likely on some random SACD than on some random CD).

I have no use for WAV or AIFF for storing music - I only use WAV when I'm editing/processing/etc.

You do know there's a world of people out there who imagine audible differences which don't actually exist? Proven by the fact that, when they don't know what they're actually listening to, they can no longer hear these differences?

Welcome to hydrogenaudio, where claims of imagined differences aren't tolerated.

Cheers,
David.

DSF to AIFF

Reply #7

1.1) First of all, if PCM is (is it?) problematic when a conversion needs to take place, would that same conversion be possible in DSD?
Else, you would need to define "conversion", and why that conversion is not needed when playing a DSD file.

1.2) Now, seriously, conversions in PCM degrade quality?
I guess you're talking about working in integer formats instead of floating point formats, right? Then, why would you want to do many conversions over an integer PCM file?
And of course, who cares about mathematical differences between two PCM signals, if we're talking in the context of a DSD file. a DSD file is no better than a PCM file, it just degrades in a different way.

I found that even vinyl rips sound much better if done in DSD even with following real time PCM conversion at listening. DS became my favorite codec. SACD sound just amazing.

Do you have a DSD recorder? And that recorder does really work in DSD, and not in PCM?
Are you comparing the quality of the hardware recorder?, the quality of the format?, the quality of the converter?,the quality of the decoder?...

I guess you won't make the mistake to use a DSD program in a PC and expect that magically, your soundcard becomes a DSD recorder, right?