Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rate your music with Foo_rating plugin (beta) (Read 121399 times) previous topic - next topic

Rate your music with Foo_rating plugin (beta)

Reply #25
There was no Rating listed available. So, I tried to make one but I do not know what to type in for the field. I tried %rating% and such but nothing has worked.

Screenshot

I figured it out but now I am wondering why it displays numbers instead of stars and why I must use the system tray icon to rate the music rather than just being able to select it in the column. Thanks.

Reply #26
Read the rest of the thread. It's apparently against a license or something. That's unfortunate, since I too would love such a feature.

Reply #27
I like th look of this.

But, I'm not much good with this stuff. How do I make the rating display in a column? What do  type into the display page in columns preferences? I'm used only to using normal tags (%title%, %artist%, etc.) but this isn't  a tag.

Can you help?

Reply #28
I like th look of this.

But, I'm not much good with this stuff. How do I make the rating display in a column? What do  type into the display page in columns preferences? I'm used only to using normal tags (%title%, %artist%, etc.) but this isn't  a tag.

Can you help?

You can use %rating% to display rating in column UI. 

Reply #29
Hey Billhao

I really like foo_rating, thanks for your work so far.

I found no description of how to make the rating column look like it does in your screenshot, with a couple of stars displayed instead of a number. So I did this little formatting script, maybe it's of use for other users too, so I'll post it here:
Code: [Select]
$if(%RATING%,
$ifgreater(%RATING%,4,OOOOO,
$ifgreater(%RATING%,3,OOOO,
$ifgreater(%RATING%,2,OOO,
$ifgreater(%RATING%,1,OO,O)))),)

1 ==> O
2 ==> OO
3 ==> OOO
and so on. not very difficult indeed. Of course one can replace the 'O's with something more fancy

A suggestion for the tray icon: it might look better if you would use a star like one of those that you already use in the rating baloon instead of the smiley. Maybe a grey one if a song hasn't been rated so far and a yellow one if it's already rated (no idea if this would be difficult to realize)

So far, best wishes,
Jörg

Reply #30
Hey Billhao

I really like foo_rating, thanks for your work so far.

I found no description of how to make the rating column look like it does in your screenshot, with a couple of stars displayed instead of a number. So I did this little formatting script, maybe it's of use for other users too, so I'll post it here:
$if(%RATING%,

1 ==> O
2 ==> OO
3 ==> OOO
and so on. not very difficult indeed. Of course one can replace the 'O's with something more fancy

A suggestion for the tray icon: it might look better if you would use a star like one of those that you already use in the rating baloon instead of the smiley. Maybe a grey one if a song hasn't been rated so far and a yellow one if it's already rated (no idea if this would be difficult to realize)

So far, best wishes,
Jörg

Jörg, thank you for the suggestion. This definitely will be better and more informative for users. I will make this change in the next release. Thanks again.

For the star icon in the column, I have another plugin for doing this. I will let you guys know soon.

Reply #31
$if(%RATING%,

You can shorten this code to:

$repeat(%rating%,O)

This star character is pretty popular:

$repeat(%rating%,$char(9733))

More advanced:

$repeat($char(9733),%rating%)
$repeat($char(9734),$sub(5,%rating%))

Reply #32

$if(%RATING%,

You can shorten this code to:

$repeat(%rating%,O)

This star character is pretty popular:

$repeat(%rating%,$char(9733))

More advanced:

$repeat($char(9733),%rating%)
$repeat($char(9734),$sub(5,%rating%))

Can someone help me with adding a logo or small picture instead of that OOO rating character?
I have no idea how to replace that OOOO.
Thanks.

Reply #33
Can someone help me with adding a logo or small picture instead of that OOO rating character?
Thanks.

It seems that there isn't a easy way for doing this right now. But I am working on it. I'll show you guys later.

Reply #34
Need you help about icons.

As Jörg suggested, I added the feature that there will be one tray icon for rated track and another one for unrated track, certainly you can customize these two icons. I need two icons as the default one. I intend to use the yellow and gray star as the icons. But I had problem converting them to ico files. There were always some black lines in the edge of star after converting to ico format. I'd appreciate if any of you can do this for foo_rating plugin. Thank you.

Reply #35
Thanks.

For those using Tahoma font - you can download Tahoma Star font which has been modified to include the star symbol -

you can get it here: (post#77)

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry467027

& here's my script for column's ui / track info mod

$if(%rating%,
$rgb(235,235,235))
$select(%rating%,
★,
★★,
★★★,
★★★★,
★★★★★)
)
)

Reply #36
icons

Hey Billhao, here we go:

star_on.ico
star_off.ico

regards, Jörg

Reply #37
Eventually we have the version beta 1.2 available. Here is the link to the download page (the same as the one in the first post)

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~haowang/foo_rating/download.php

Features added:
+ different tray icon for track with rating and without rating
+ support custom tray icons
+ support change font, font color and background color

Thanks Jörg for the idea and the icons. My gratitude also goes to Andreas Toth and people who support the development of foo_rating plugin.

Reply #38
Jörg, this is how the tray icons look like in my computer. They look small. I think it'd be better if the stars take the whole 16x16 square. How do you think about it?

Reply #39
Thank you SO MUCH for making this plugin!!!! I've gotten into the "rating groove" during my short visit with Windows Vista and I had to carry it over to my music. The ability to rate pictures as I saw them in the sidebar slideshow allowed me to totally overhaul my F-16 pictures collection (all 1,100 of them) and I'm hoping to be able to do the same thing to my music collection, which is a "flat playlist" style thing. Some songs in an album are great, while others just suck, but I want to be able to maintain full albums on my computer. Now, finally, I can listen to all my unrated songs, rate them on the fly, and clean up my music collection as well! THANKS!

I first found the rating field in an MP3, and added its column to the Columns UI. Dying for a better way to display them than "5, 4, 3...", I looked around a bit. I found a VERY messy Columns preference set, and stole the column definition for "Rating" out of it. It showed up as blocks, since I'm using the Segoe UI font, so I tweaked the character definition to a fat "dot" instead of the default, which I think is a makeshift star.

I have practically zero experience with this flavor of display scripting (I'm a PHP guy and this is a foreign language to me, weird seeing $blah all over the place and having them be functions instead of variables). Here's what I have for my display...

(edit: That script truly does suck. It sorts totally weird. Oh well. I used one posted above.)

I know there's some code in there I could do without, but it works. I don't know what that block means before/after the hex color codes... so much I don't know.

I found that, then I was looking for an easy way to rate the songs. And here it is! This plugin. Awesome work! And I'm not gonna complain about the icon either. It would be nice if I could make it only pop up when I click it (turning off the option to pop up when moused over doesn't work) but hey, I just turn down the "show" time.

Thanks again!!

Reply #40
Hi Billhao
you're right, the stars don't make use of the full 16x16 area. I just cut them out of a screenshot from the preferences menu where they're displayed as I couldn't find the related files. If you had a star at higher resolution (any format), I could produce a new icon easily. Pixel-by-pixel painting would be quite boring :-/
regards - Jörg

Reply #41
Hi Billhao
you're right, the stars don't make use of the full 16x16 area. I just cut them out of a screenshot from the preferences menu where they're displayed as I couldn't find the related files. If you had a star at higher resolution (any format), I could produce a new icon easily. Pixel-by-pixel painting would be quite boring :-/
regards - Jörg

Now I knew why my icons were blur in the edge. Because the software I am using expand the 12x12 pic to 16x16.

Unfortunately, I only have pics in 12x12 format. Can you expand them to 16x16 without blurring the edge?

Or we can consider using other type of icons for the tray, and make the rating can be identified from the icon. Here is two examples. Please also post your ideas.

Reply #42

16x16 icons (psd included)
download

Reply #43
is it also possible to rate a song when in foobar as in clicking the rating column?

Reply #44
New version: Version BETA 1.3

Download link:

Features added:
+ be able to disable popup window when in full screen mode
Bug fixed and changes:
+ popup window grabs focus of active window
+ stars in popup window are not drawed transparently
+ larger stars for tray icon

Thanks Cyex for the larger tray icons.

Reply #45
is it also possible to rate a song when in foobar as in clicking the rating column?

No, as has been discussed several times in this very thread. Sadly, I've given up on this component. Making your own mass tagging scripts for ratings was actually much easier than I thought it would be(which is why I wanted a component like this in the first place). Now I can rate my songs via the right-click context menu, by rating buttons I put on my build, or by global hotkeys when I'm reading an article or whatever and don't care to bring Foobar up. The only way the solution I use now could really get any easier would be if I could also assign ratings via the ratings column, but since that's against a license...

Thanks for all your efforts, though.

Reply #46
searchin, reading and googling - i can't find answer how to replace OOOOO with stars images
i've already downloaded tahoma star font and latest foo_rating.dll (today)

can any1 help me with this newbie problem?
currently u use it like this:
http://kenny.livenet.pl/tmp/foocol.jpg

because of headache i could missed sth, if it is so pls forgive me

Reply #47
searchin, reading and googling - i can't find answer how to replace OOOOO with stars images
i've already downloaded tahoma star font and latest foo_rating.dll (today)

can any1 help me with this newbie problem?
currently u use it like this:
http://kenny.livenet.pl/tmp/foocol.jpg

because of headache i could missed sth, if it is so pls forgive me

The foo_rating plugin version 2.1 can do this. Please refer to "How to display rating stars in Column UI?" in its download page.

But you should aware that this functionality is prohibited by foobar2000 license. So you should use it on your own risk and responsibility. The author dosen't take any warrant on it.

Reply #48
i did it exactly the same as in instructions
but i can't see nothing, only tray icon

however, i tryed to use it with stars from tahoma star font, finally i see star signs in editor mode, but somehow i can't change playlist font

i change it to tahoma star everywhere i could, but still it's original tahoma

/edit
damn, i missed tab in Playlist view -> Colours and Fonts
what a shame

everything works fine, thanks for help

Reply #49
there is a black border line from version 1.3+

can you fix this?

and.. can you use this plugin with foo_custom_info to rate music?