Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will you switch from Winamp2 to Winamp3 now that it\'s final? (Read 60911 times) previous topic - next topic

Will you switch from Winamp2 to Winamp3 now that it\'s final?

Comments welcome.

Reply #1
Probably yes, cause I like it. Not sure though.

EDIT: Well no. Not yet. It still lacks too many features. :-/

Reply #2
I am waiting for a mpc plug-in before switching... or simply testing WA3.

Reply #3
I hate the way the new playlist operates in WA3. 

I'll probably just stick with WA2 for awhile, unless I'm forced to use 3

Reply #4
I am waitng for Album List  Never was a big fan of the Media Library.

Reply #5
I'll probably stick with Winamp 2 at first. Winamp3 is really nice and I'll definetly test it, but without Shoutcast/Icecast support it's completely useless to me...

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #6
Depends on what I'm doing.

When I just want to hear some music while sitting in front of my computer I'll stick to Winamp 2.x. But if i plan to make playlists and do dedicated listening, I'll be using Winamp3.

Winamp3 is just not as resource friendly as Winamp 2.x but playlist management is much better. Though i'd like to see some more playlist/media library in the future.

(So where's the option "I'll switch over but not completely?"  )

Reply #7
Originally posted by guruboolez
I am waiting for a mpc plug-in before switching... or simply testing WA3.

http://www.blorp.com/~peter/wa3.htm

Reply #8
What should I vote? I already switched with RC1.

Reply #10
No, still alot that is missning for me.
What I want:
* Logarithmic Volume & Panning. (Not possible in WA3 yet)
* dB steps with Vol. & Pan. instead of % - enabled with e.g. out_ds (Not possible to fix with WA2)
* volume & pan bars that don't depend on stuff like resolution etc. - smooth stepless movement. (Not possible to fix with WA2)

yep.. that's about it...
oh
* Something similar to AlbumList but better and with more features.

Reply #11
KAMiKAZOW > thanks a lot !!! Hpe that a better one will come soon (i.e Comments tags)

Q! > That's a good protection

Reply #12
I will switch as soon as a good iTunes skin is available.  The UI for Winamp3 is horrible and ugly.

Reply #13
for the task of the moment.  For listening to streaming online radio, tiny footprint CoolPlayer rules! (Get ver 2.06 from BetaNews) At present,  there's no particular advantage I can find in WA3 to offset the disadvantage of resource hogging.  As a matter of fact, I think Sonique 2 (Brazil's new threat!) more appealing. That could change as plugin apps are developed...As a video player, WA3 is for the birds.

Reply #14
I've been using 2.x versions and they always
worked great on my Duron 1.2 and my "other babies" 100/233 mhz.
Since I use the oldest to play mp3's,mpc's and cda's connected to my
sound system I prefer not to upgrade by obvious reasons...
Time ago, tried 3.x beta, and didnt like it...kinda slow and
buggy. Maybe 3.0 final is ok, but 2.80 is being great in all tasks(in
the tree machines)...
BTW, Why did they remove shoutcast from 3.0?(Oops... I almost
forgot who owns Nullsoft!!).

Abracos para o grande Roberto.

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #15
i'm not using wa3, imo it's still too buggy (funny, i used beta1 - beta3 versions as my primary player), i still live with v2.x (though i dont have 488/3.0, can't download it, sitting on a really shitty 56k now).
to all of you who bitch about Winamp 2.x being too stupid (having limited features / retarded playback engine / whatever) & Winamp 3.x being too big/bloated - yes, i understand what you mean, i'd be probably with you if i wasn't one of Winamp devs. this is really hard, it doesn't make much sense to improve v2 (because any "major improvements" would break skins/plugins; any big changes i can think of would go in the direction of simething similar to v3 anyway).
about "missing features" in 3.0 - they will hopefully appear in 3.01 or something, some of things had to be removed so whole thing could be finished before the deadline.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #16
Originally posted by LIF
Abracos para o grande Roberto.

Abracos para voce tambem, grande LIF.

Reply #17
Abracos para voce tambem, grande LIF.

Abracadabra, sim salabim. :cool2:

On topic now: I'll stick to Winamp 2.x until 3.x has matured some more.

Reply #18
stupid question...
Can I install WA3 in its own directory and still have access to winamp 2.xx?  Hell, I'm still using winamp 2.72 and am happy with that.  I do like the skinning options for 3 though,  corner amp etc.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #19
Originally posted by dreamliner77
stupid question...
Can I install WA3 in its own directory and still have access to winamp 2.xx?  Hell, I'm still using winamp 2.72 and am happy with that.  I do like the skinning options for 3 though,  corner amp etc.
yes

Reply #20
What I see as a user: Winamp3 = Winamp2 + media library + advanced skinning + crossfading + video player capability + internal routines to factorize large numbers for the NSA (must be some reason why it's so slow). Currently I don't need any of these features and the lack of a good mpc plugin makes me stick to Winamp2 for the time being.
The most apparent change to me is the skinning system. I was very impressed by the skins I tried. Fancy animations etc. The variable layout got me confused though from time to time. You can tell me that the internals have changed alot and are much more flexible, that's cool, but as a user I don't see any benefits yet. The interface just feels slower. Let's see what the future brings.
Note: this is just my personal way of looking at the program. I respect those who have worked hard on the new version. I'm also not sure what to expect. v2.80 is allready a very cool, flexible, feature rich piece of software. Making major improvements is almost impossible.

Reply #21
Winamp3 is ok in my opinion but there are a lot of niggles I have with it. I'm sure everyone has heard the argument about Winamp 1/2 breaking the laws of GUI design but I think with this latest version its gone far too overboard.

The skins argument will no doubt kick in but I find that its far more than that. Its purely technical elegance throughout the whole user experience. I think Winamp's strength is in its mature back end .dll's, and input and output plugins which Peter works tirelessly on.

OK, lets look at the winamp3 user interface. Could you say that without even touching the application, you'd be able to guess what every control would do? I doubt it.

The Media Library / Playlist is a confusing setup of two methods of doing something which should essentially be done in one control. The components themselves are abysmal and rushed and should have really been thought out a whole lot better. Since when does clicking buttons make a menu pop up? (see playlist editor).

The contrasts on the default skin are too harsh and makes the application look ugly. It's like having a black fronted hi-fi with brushed silver buttons... quite oxymoronic!

Among other complaints, the top of the windows have their own controls which make no sense at all, like the + in the left corner of the windows... all metaphorically confusing and inconsistant!

I'm getting quite bored of complaining but I feel Winamp3 is basically great concept, abysmal execution. So, I'll end up using it anyway due to its versatility, but the learning curve is a highly unnecessary and could have been circumvented for newbies.

Oh, and dont get me started on the configuration dialogs!

Later

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #22
This might be a stupid question, but... what's driving development of WA3?  The reason I ask is that it seems silly to me to compete directly with WMP (or anything by Microsoft, for that matter), and WA2 really is *good enough* I think in most respects, for the majority (maybe not... please, no flames).

Just a purely rhetorical question, but... is it possible to call a piece of software "done?"  Just say "it's finished, that's the last version" and then offer services, skins, the chatroom and various other goodies (maybe even paid services) to accompany that finally finished, completed piece of software. 

As a sometimes-programmer I know the conventional answer to this question, but in this day of upcoming so-called "web services" ... maybe it's possible to finish a software instead of the typical happening, where company/programmer interest gradually "poops out" and the project is dropped... or when a program just starts to bloat out of control eventually.

Reply #23
I am a tagging maniac, and have a big and growing mpc library : it's painful to navigate in it. MediaJukebox made a good job before I switched to APE2...

With Winamp3, I have a lot of pleasure : the Media Library is wonderful (but buggy : there are missing files). I can navigate easily, and in many directions, in my library.

http://membres.lycos.fr/guruboolez/AUDIO/Winamp3.png

If bugs are limited, I may use it frequently. Just hope that Case will develop soon a good plug-in for musepack.

P.S. mpc sound seems to have some problem... But I'm not not sure

Reply #24
>> what's driving development of WA3?
My guess AOLTW.  I think they are looking for some return on their investment.  i remember seeing early screen shots of a Winamp3 based AOL Media Player.

But when it comes right down to it there is either two ways you can go with a Media Player.  The small and fast or the Jack of all trades thing.  It looks like Nullsoft is trying to cover them both.  Seeing since EVERYTHING in Winamp3 is a component you can have it as small or as large as you want.  In fact I think it is kind of cool.  Don't want the Media library?  Delete it.  Don't want the Minibrowser?  Delete it.  And so on.

But when you have corporate interests behind a product you have to try to appeal to the masses who LIKE WiMP and MMJB.  Trying to do that without aniliating your loyal user base of fast and efficient users can be tough.