Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: alternate names for shntool helper programs (Read 4043 times) previous topic - next topic

alternate names for shntool helper programs

I love shntool, but I'd really like to be able to specify a different .exe on the commandline to be used as a helper program; for example, I'd prefer to use 'flac 1.1.0.exe' as my helper for flac, but I don't know how to change that from 'flac.exe'...can anyone help me out?

(my reasoning - I already have a bunch of scripts that use the annotated .exe filename, and since it's already in the path, I'd hate to have another copy of the .exe around as well - and good ol' windows won't let me link one file to another.)

Reply #1
Currently there is no support for specifying alternate program names for audio input (though you can use the 'cust' output format for audio output).  So to use "flac 1.1.0.exe" to read flacs, you would have to compile a customized copy using Cygwin, changing:

Code: [Select]
#define FLAC "flac"

to:
#define FLAC "flac 1.1.0"

in src/format_flac.c .

Now that I think of it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to support alternate input codec programs using environment variables, e.g.:

set SHNTOOL_SHN=shorten-2.3a
set SHNTOOL_FLAC="flac 1.1.0"
shntool len *.shn *.flac

I'll add something like this in the next version.

Reply #2
I love shntool, but I'd really like to be able to specify a different .exe on the commandline to be used as a helper program; for example, I'd prefer to use 'flac 1.1.0.exe' as my helper for flac, but I don't know how to change that from 'flac.exe'...can anyone help me out?

Just use symbolic links (on unix machines "ln -s"), called on Windows junctions.

To create junctions without the Win2K Resource Kit use this freeware:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction

in your case : "junction flac.exe flac 1.1.0.exe" This will work only on NTFS drives.

Edit:
Forget it... windows handles only directory links/junctions  (how they can work without symlinks?)
.halverhahn

Reply #3
shnutils (jason, right?) -

perhaps a better option is to compile against a standard set of configurations, and have these be editable/configured by the user

(in *nix ~/.shntools & in windows \shntools.cfg ) or something like this

but, in reality, how many different versions of LOSSLESS codecs does one have in $PATH ?

in a more interesting support idea for shntools --> it's time to start a project to port wavpack to *nix

later

Reply #4
in a more interesting support idea for shntools --> it's time to start a project to port wavpack to *nix

Actually, tomorrow would be better. 

I am releasing the second beta of WavPack 4.0 with sources. This version includes decoding of legacy WavPack files and should be much easier to port to various platforms than 3.97 was (even endianess should be transparent). Also, I have set up decoding to be completely library driven, so porting player plugins should also be trivial.

Reply #5
To create junctions without the Win2K Resource Kit use this freeware:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction

Edit:
Forget it... windows handles only directory links/junctions  (how they can work without symlinks?)

To create the NTFS equivalent to symbolic links, you have to create "hard links," the file-based companion to junction reparse points.  Some software is available here.