Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Creative patents folders, directories (Read 3011 times) previous topic - next topic

Creative patents folders, directories

It applies to the way music tracks are organised and navigated on a player through a hierarchy using three or more successive screens.

For example, this would be a sequence of screens that could display artists, then albums and then tracks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4198360.stm

Reply #1
It applies to the way music tracks are organised and navigated on a player through a hierarchy using three or more successive screens.

For example, this would be a sequence of screens that could display artists, then albums and then tracks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4198360.stm
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325908"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Indeed. However, you can patent just about anything today; the patent system is a joke IMO.

Personally, I don't see how one deserves to be awarded a patent on such a thing as Creative managed, as denoted by the story[I have not read that actual patent yet, so I will tenatively base my comment on what the story claims].

I bet that I could[provided I spend the money for the application fees] patent how to wipe one's rear end, based on today's patent standards[how to swing a swing case anyone?].

-Chris

Reply #2
Ugh. I mean, most people around here don't like the dominant hegemonic forces (e.g., Microsoft, the iPod), but this patent sounds just pathetic. It reminds me of an article that ran in The Onion awhile back, with the title: "Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes"
Sometimes satire is as true as the real news.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #3
Does this remind anybody else of Creative patenting the zfail algorithm for real-time shadow rendering, thus forcing id software to bow to EAX hedgemony?

Reply #4
Does this remind anybody else of Creative patenting the zfail algorithm for real-time shadow rendering, thus forcing id software to bow to EAX hedgemony?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325917"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Execpt in that case they actually came up with it first. They just never did anything with the patent. Carmack discovered it independently, but second.

I think this is a perfect case of a parent that fails the "non-obvious" test. Software patents good or bad is besides the point this time. Taking a idea that was so obvious on normal computers and tacking "on a digital music player" to the end of it is not innovation.

Reply #5
Creative is just looking for a way to protect it's place in the DAP line-up. This kinda thing would only help Creative gain a better footing (if not earn more money) with their digital audio players. And as far as I understand, isn't the only reason why this went to court was because Apple tried filing a similar patent two years after Creative placed theirs?

Though, I agree, it's a rather silly (and useless) patent... just as silly as when Apple started suing anyone that implimented a "wastebasket" on their desktops.

Reply #6
You can get a patent for virtually anything. Defending your patent rights against another product is a different matter.