Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Outputting PC sound to a stereo system (Read 2668 times) previous topic - next topic

Outputting PC sound to a stereo system

Is there a convenient way to output sound from my computer to a standard audio receiver? I have only mundane PC sound outputs (onboard audio with standard PC 2.1 out, and I could install my audio bracket for 5.1 output). The reason I ask is that I will be at my parent's place for Thanksgiving and I would like to be able to output Winamp from my computer through their stereo system. If it matters, my PC would probably be about 10m from the stereo in question.

Reply #1
You need a standard audio cable with a stereo mini-jack at one end to connect to your PC line-out socket and twin phono plugs at the other end to connect to your sereo-amp aux-in sockets. I beleive the usual source in the States is a shop called 'Radio-Shack'.

You may suffer some signal loss/interference over a distance of ten metres - not sure if you can buy a 'shielded' version in that length.

ß

Reply #2
Just wondering, has anyone tried the stereo-link 1200 or the Xitel Hi-fi Link? These 20-bit DACs connect to computer via USB and include RCA outputs that you can connect to a stereo. From the reviews they seem to produce excellent sound over the "average" soundcard... any opinions?

Reply #3
not sure if you can buy a 'shielded' version in that length.

Shielded cables are always advised. That always made me wonder, since in France, non-shielded CINCH cables don't exist (the line coax plug are called CINCH). I doubt they exist outside France.