Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC Passthrough Over HDMI (Read 4770 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC Passthrough Over HDMI

Hi All,

I am trying to play AAC file through HDMI my receiver is capable of detecting AAC streams.

I tried by playing using MPC-HC/BE players. Didn't succeed.

Even I tried using Kodi player by enabling audio pass through still same issue.

Does anybody know how to pass through AAC stream over HDMI?

Please help me guys on this issue

Re: AAC Passthrough Over HDMI

Reply #1
But HDMI can transmit uncompressed 8 channel 192 kHz/24-bit PCM, it's fully capable to transmit decoded AAC.
Edit:
Can you play anything over HDMI?

Reply #2
Yeah...   I would have thought your drivers (or software) would just decode it...    I've played MP3 files via HDMI into a TV (from Winamp) and I never even thought about it not working, although I wouldn't expect the TV to decode MP3.   I assume you have a Windows computer or a Mac? 

my receiver is capable of detecting AAC streams
Are you sure?   ...If it has a USB port, it may only play AAC files from there.

Reply #3
Yeah...   I would have thought your drivers (or software) would just decode it...    I've played MP3 files via HDMI into a TV (from Winamp) and I never even thought about it not working, although I wouldn't expect the TV to decode MP3.   I assume you have a Windows computer or a Mac? 
I am using Windows

my receiver is capable of detecting AAC streams
Are you sure?   ...If it has a USB port, it may only play AAC files from there.

HDMI 2.0 is capable of transmitting AAC

Reply #4
Sure?  A couple of hours earlier, you got a reply that pointed out that although the Wikipedia article claims so, there is no support for the claim in its sources.
No mention here: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

Reply #5
In Wikipedia they have mentioned under Version 2.0 it can support HE-AAC

Version 2.0[edit]
HDMI 2.0, referred to by some manufacturers as HDMI UHD, was released on September 4, 2013.[109]

HDMI 2.0 increases the maximum TMDS clock to 600 MHz (18.0 Gbit/s).[110] HDMI 2.0 uses 8b/10b encoding for video transmission like previous versions, giving it a maximum video bandwidth of 14.4 Gbit/s. This enables HDMI 2.0 to carry 4K video at 60 Hz with 24 bit/px color depth.[110][111][112] Other features of HDMI 2.0 include support for the Rec. 2020 color space, up to 32 audio channels, up to 1536 kHz audio sample frequency, dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen, up to four audio streams, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, 25 fps 3D formats, support for the 21:9 aspect ratio, dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams, the HE-AAC and DRA audio standards, improved 3D capability, and additional CEC functions

Reply #6
This might sound dumb, but what is the benefit of adding more complexity to support AAC(or any other lossy format) pass-through when HDMI already supports uncompressed audio?
I can understand why it matters for bandwidth limited scenarios such as though S/PDIF, but why HDMI? Does it have something to do with HDMI ARC?

Reply #7
Your EVMK2G board is quite powerful and surely can decode all sorts of lossy formats:
Features
66AK2G02 C66x DSP+ARM A15 Processor at 600MHz
2-GByte DDR3L with ECC
TPS659118 PMIC
Audio and Serial expansion headers
Processor SDK Linux and TI-RTOS support
Supports Gigabit Ethernet
But why do you think it can receive AAC via HDMI?

Reply #8
A couple of hours earlier, you got a reply that pointed out that although the Wikipedia article claims so, there is no support for the claim in its sources.
No mention here: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

In Wikipedia they have mentioned under Version 2.0 it can support HE-AAC

[citation needed].

Who is "they", what is the source and where does that source mention "AAC"?