Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK 1.0.1 Beta released (Read 26481 times) previous topic - next topic

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #25
Following the evolution of TAK meanwhile gives me the feeling it can be the best thing since Flac (sorry for not calling it the best thing ever)
Tom doesn´t feel nerved answering many questions some ape tamers never had the nerve.
Me feels pretty stupid meanwhile to pin down the sense of TAK in another thread.

All i can say: Move on Tom with your consequent work!!
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #26

I think it would be more useful if the table just showed relative compression rates.  Whatever row is selected is the baseline, and then the stronger settings will be .4% or whatever and the weaker modes will be -.4% and such.

You are right. Probably i will go back to relative compression rates. The first (internal) version was using them, but i myself and some hydrogen members feared, that newbies would take such values as guaranteed and would keep on telling me that i should correct the table or even call me a liar.

I did it. I removed the first column ("Efficiency") and replaced the second one ("Relative") with compression difference values. If you slecet preset NORMAL, this column will tell you, that on my sample set TURBO achieved -1,25 percent less compression and EXTRA+MAX performed +0,75 percent better. After those modifications the rightmost column was empty. I filled it with the corresponding command line parameters: p0 to p4m. This hopefully makes several things clearer.

Thanks for your suggestions.

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #27
I don't know if this is a real 'bug' of the commandline encoder. But the log file created, when using the -l2a option with the commandline encoder in foobar2000, is partly in german.

See the "ja" and "nein" in the log file below:
Code: [Select]
=== Diagnostics ============================================

Linear Predictor
  Predictors:                                64
  Optimize quantization:                    Ja
  Apply window:                              Ja

Frames

Channel decorrelation
  Prediction:                                Ja
  Check both:                                Ja
  Difference:                                Ja
  Mid-Side:                                  Ja

Frame partition calculator
  Resolution:                              128
  Validate:                                Nein

Bit coder
  Optimize Choice:                        Nein

PreFilter
  Enable:                                  Nein
  Sensitivity:                                0 (0 - 2)

Diagnostics
  Verify:                                  Nein
  No output:                              Nein
  Use MMX:                                  Ja
  Use SSE:                                Nein

=== Results ================================================

temp-9BEAE...956795A636EDD27D86.wav  49.08%  41*

Compression:    49.08 %
Duration:        85.12 sec
Speed:          40.86 * real time

For the rest I want to thank you.
I'm encoding and decoding in foobar2000 right now and it works very good!

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #28
I don't know if this is a real 'bug' of the commandline encoder. But the log file created, when using the -l2a option with the commandline encoder in foobar2000, is partly in german.

Thank you for reporting. I am using some of my general purpose modules for the protocol generation, which i am also using in some projects i got paid for. Currently i don't want to touch them, therefore this tiny bug will persist, until i replace the protocol generation code with something else. It's also possible, that i remove this protocol mode. I already removed the diagnostics tables from it which were part of the yalac evaluation releases. They will come back, when i ask for help for the evaluation of a new optimized codec and probably then i will also replace the german words.
I'm encoding and decoding in foobar2000 right now and it works very good!

Great!

Thomas

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #29
Preparation of the final release

I plan to release the final version as well as an updated SDK and Winamp plugin tomorrow (saturday). I would have preferred to wait a bit longer for possible bug reports, but unfortunately i will have little time to work on TAK for several weeks, starting on monday. Since the preparation of a new release (it has to go through a couple of validation tools i wrote) takes up to a whole day, i will have to release the final tomorrow what gives me the opportunity to perform corrections until monday morning, if something with the final should go wrong.

Fortunately the beta already seems to be very stable.

Here is a list of the fixes and modifications. If you have found any bug not listed here, please tell me now!

TAK Applications

Improvements:

- GUI Comparison table: I removed the first column ("Efficiency") and replaced the second one ("Relative") with compression difference values. If you slecet preset NORMAL, this column will tell you, that on my sample set TURBO achieved -1,25 percent less compression and EXTRA+MAX performed +0,75 percent better. After those modifications the rightmost column was empty. I filled it with the corresponding command line parameters: p0 to p4m. This hopefully makes several things clearer.

Bug fixes:

- One tester has sent me a very special file which could not be encoded; the encoder stopped with an error message. The fact, that TAK 1.0 was also affected by this bug and nobody before reported such problems, confirms, that this file generated a very special conndition. Fortunately TAK still contains much self check code (which is slowing it down a bit), which detected this error condition and threw the error message. This bug affected only the encoder; if your files have been encoded without the encoder reporting an error, they are fine.

TAK SDK, library and Winamp plugin

Modifications:

- The APEv2 tag reading functions are a bit more tolerant when reading invalid tag headers not following the official APEv2 specification.

Bug fixes:

- When playing back (or decoding) high resolution audio, the library and the Winamp plugin reported wrong values for the current compressed bitrate.

If you have something to add, please tell me!

Thomas

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #30
Has anyone compared decompressed files with the original (via binary compare or checksums)?

It's been quite a while someone has reported doing this.

Thomas

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #32

Has anyone compared decompressed files with the original (via binary compare or checksums)?

It's been quite a while someone has reported doing this.
I just did with a few of the albums I've encoded and foobar says that they're all equal

Thanks.

Well, my question has been motivated by an email i received. An user reported TAK creating files with MD5-checksums different from the original. Panic!!!

Fortunately he soon send me also the checksum files and some screenshots. The checksums were identical, but the screenshots show, that the checksum software couln't find the files to check anymore. Obviously an operator error...

But this was really shocking...

Thomas

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #33
What about changing +Extra to +Enhanced?
Or just "plus" (extra compression is hardly an enhancement). "Slow" would be understandable (but a setting like "-Fast +Slow" would not make it really better).
Or call "Extra"  "Very High" and keep +Extra (or -x[n] like suggested)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #34
Hm, what's about the new dynamic comparison table in the encoder options dialog?

Is it understandable, how it works? I know, the documentation in the Readme could be improved.

The idea was to give new users an idea about the effect of the Preset+Evaluation level settings on compression efficiency, encoding and decoding speed.

I am trying to encode TAK with foobar but I have strange resultsin here because I don't use commandline encoding very often. I have problems to create the commendline
It would be nice to have some examples within the readme.

Could someone help me?

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #35
Spirit,

take a look at the WIKI...

.sundance.

TAK 1.0.1 Beta released

Reply #36
strange I searched here for Information about TAK but didn't find this side. 

so thanks a lot