Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: So Cool! (Read 9961 times) previous topic - next topic

So Cool!

From the press release about Volvo's two new digital audio gadgets, one of which is a "digital jukebox":

... It is compatible with many of today's major digital formats, such as MP3 and also supports WMA, AAC and the professional standard, Ogg Vorbis. With an upper limit of 320kbps, the digital jukebox system can record the full wave and delicacy of sound at a level parallel to the original source.

I like how they say "the professional standard, Ogg Vorbis".

Now if only I could afford the car, to begin with...

Edit: Full press release here.

Edit 2: I have to add that I'm really impressed by Volvo to jump on to the bandwagon like this and get the formats part right on their first attempt!

Edit 3: Just noticed that it has support for FLAC too! Details
davidnaylor.org

So Cool!

Reply #1
PhatNoise has already worked with several car brands before.

Look here:
http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalm...ayers/index.php

From what I've read about it before, the PhatBox is a pretty sweet device. As you already mentioned, it supports Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. And AFAIK, it even has gapless playback.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

So Cool!

Reply #2
PhatNoise has already worked with several car brands before.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350310"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, so I gather. Well, all the better! Now if only people knew more of the benefits of Ogg...
davidnaylor.org

So Cool!

Reply #3
Professional standard <= Me likes  It is great that free and open-source is making it's way into our lives.

So Cool!

Reply #4
Even me old mp3 zealot switches to Vorbis. I like i now use "THE" professional standard
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

So Cool!

Reply #5
Ehm... what kind of professionals use Vorbis, or any particular lossy format? >:)

So Cool!

Reply #6
Ehm... what kind of professionals use Vorbis, or any particular lossy format? >:)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350333"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now you're just spoiling all the fun. 

Edit: I guess they're maybe referring to the fact that Ogg Vorbis nowadays is used for many games, etc?
davidnaylor.org

So Cool!

Reply #7
It makes me want a Volvo. Indeed the car manufacturers are seriously behind. Personally I think sooner or later anyone wanting to shift players have to support MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG. Unless you are a huge company with unlimited marketing hype like Apple of course.

Triza

So Cool!

Reply #8
Edit: I guess they're maybe referring to the fact that Ogg Vorbis nowadays is used for many games, etc?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350336"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it's more because some audio pro software uses Ogg Vorbis, i.e. Sound Forge, Makie's Tracktion...

So Cool!

Reply #9
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350336"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it's more because some audio pro software uses Ogg Vorbis, i.e. Sound Forge, Makie's Tracktion...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350430"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok. Didn't know.
davidnaylor.org

So Cool!

Reply #10
As I knopw the new VW Golf's audio will also support Ogg Vorbis.
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

So Cool!

Reply #11
nice
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)