Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows Media Player Plus! - Various enhancements for WMP (Read 310335 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Media Player Plus! - Various enhancements for WMP

Reply #200
Announcement: Windows Media Player Plus! 2.6 is now available for download. This update adds support for showing the currently playing media in Skype's mood message and fixes some stability issues that were uncovered after the release of version 2.5. Updating is highly recommended.

See the Version History page for a detailed list of what's new and what has been fixed.

Reply #201
Since downloading the latest version of WMP Plus! in June I have been unable to edit 2 consecutive song "lyrics" in Tag editor plus.
The second one comes up with the message "Lyrics are read-only because the music file is open in another application".
I have Windows7 64-bit.

Reply #202
What was the message for the first song?

Can you please check if the song isn't being held open by WMP itself? You can do this by opening WMP's Play tab - the currently opened song will be highlighted (it doesn't necessarily have to be playing).

Which version of WMP Plus were you using before updating? It would surprise me if this got introduced with version 2.6 since there weren't any changes to the tag editor.

Reply #203
What was the message for the first song?

Can you please check if the song isn't being held open by WMP itself? You can do this by opening WMP's Play tab - the currently opened song will be highlighted (it doesn't necessarily have to be playing).

Which version of WMP Plus were you using before updating? It would surprise me if this got introduced with version 2.6 since there weren't any changes to the tag editor.

The first song lyrics page is editable in the normal way - there is no message. This would be the first song edited in WMP after a restart of Windows7. The play list is empty when the second song shows the error message. I now notice that all songs in the library with lyrics display the same error message after the first opening after a restart of Windows.

I am not sure which version immediately preceded 2.6. I had certainly already downloaded a 2.? version.

Reply #204
Then what exactly does happen when you try to edit the lyrics of the first song?

Are you saying that you don't see the message on songs without lyrics? Can you add lyrics to these songs?

What's the file type (or types) of the affected songs?

It seems that I can't reproduce this on my own Windows 7 system, so as far as I can tell, the songs are really open in another application. Can you check if you can edit the lyrics outside of WMP, such as in Explorer or Mp3tag? And can you also check if you see the same issues when booting Windows in Clean Boot mode? Thanks!

Reply #205
is it possible to increase eg in registry...the amount of tracks for which disk set numbers are still presented (ie above 500 tracks).
I systematically cleaned all my tags with musicbrainz picard, using discnumber tags and am hitting the limit more often than not in various views.

thank you for great plugin.

Reply #206
Yes, you can change the limit by editing the IncludeSetMaxItemCount registry value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BM-productions\WMP Plus and restarting WMP. But note that the performance of browsing the library may suffer if the limit is too high.

Reply #207
Yes, you can change the limit by editing the IncludeSetMaxItemCount registry value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BM-productions\WMP Plus and restarting WMP. But note that the performance of browsing the library may suffer if the limit is too high.

thank you.

Reply #208
It would be really nice if WMPPlus would support unicode file paths (at least i think that's the problem):
When editing files with Tag Editor Plus, "The request is invalid in the current state" pops up if the file path is not contained in the standard character set, e.g. if it's in cyrillic.
As Windows supports those paths, I would find it consequent for the plugin to support it as well.
This shouldn't be to hard to implement (maybe even only a compiler switch?) and make things a whole lot easier for people with other alphabets.
The error shows up if a tag is unicode and the file is not within a unicode path, but if you hit "apply" and then "OK" it is applied anyways - when pression only "OK" it usually isn't.

Otherwise I love your plugin, thanks a lot for it!

Reply #209
WMP Plus should already support Unicode file paths. Are you using the latest version, 2.6? On which version of WMP/Windows?

It's more likely that these issues are caused by the tags contained within the files. What's the file type (or types) of these files?

Would it be possible to upload one of the affected files, so I can take a look? You can use Dropbox or a file sharing website like SkyDrive/RapidShare, and send me the download link via PM. Thanks!

Reply #210
I came to that conclusion, as in the interface unicode strings are often displayed as question marks (eg. in Settings->Party Shuffle in the list of playlists, as well as in the error messages) and adding images works, if they are moved to another, non-unicode path.

Screenshot of the Messages / Folder: Dropbox link
If you want, I can upload a audio file, too, but as it happens with every unicode named file I don't see much point in doing so.
W7x64, WMP12, WMPP! 2.6

Thanks for your fast reply!

Reply #211
Indeed, the Party Shuffle settings as well as the error messages don't properly support Unicode paths yet. Thanks for reporting.

What exactly do you mean when you say that adding images works?

Please do upload an audio file. I'm still suspecting that the errors are related to the tags, because using Tag Editor Plus on a Unicode-named file works fine on my Windows 7 system.

Reply #212
When adding images, unicode paths aren't supported (when moving the selected image to a non-unicode path there is no problem).
Second bug when adding images: after an error like the one created by a unicode path, the OFD won't show up again.

Reply #213
Oh, you're talking about album art. Thanks again for reporting - I'll look into fixing those bugs for one of the next releases of WMP Plus.

I suggest that we further troubleshoot the "request is invalid" error via PM.

Reply #214
Hello Mr. De Baets,

Excellent piece of software. Unfortunately, some recent Windows update seems to have messed up the context menu functionality.
  • Whenever I right-click a track either in the list pane or the library pane, the “Tag Editor Plus”, “File” submenu, or “Find in library” items no longer appear in the context menu.
  • Also, every time a track is right-clicked, a new file explorer window opens to that track, as if I had clicked “Open File Location.”

The issue is present when Windows Media Player Plus! is enabled, and absent when Windows Media Player Plus! is disabled. I tried resetting WMP settings and reinstalling both WMP and Windows Media Player Plus!, but the issue persisted. Disabling all the context menu features of Windows Media Player Plus did not fix the issue either.

I have windows 8.1 and in the November patch Tuesday there was this update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850 which seems to be almost like a service pack for windows 8.1. I am not sure if this is the source of the issue but seeing as I haven’t changed anything else since then that is my only guess.

Thanks!!!

Reply #215
Thanks for the report - KB3000850 is indeed the most likely culprit. I'll look into this as soon as I find some time.

Reply #216
Announcement: Windows Media Player Plus! 2.7 is now available for download. This update fixes broken plug-in functionality on Windows 8.1 after installation of the November 2014 Windows update rollup (KB3000850). Additionally, a possible Windows Media Player crash has been fixed. Updating is highly recommended.

See the Version History page for a detailed list of what has been fixed.

Reply #217
Wow that was quick. Thanks, you're the man!

Reply #218
Thanks for the report - KB3000850 is indeed the most likely culprit. I'll look into this as soon as I find some time.

Hi Tim:

I saw your announcement that ver 2.7 was released, but the download page shows ver 2.6 only.  I'm having the same problem as described by berban on Nov. 28.  How can I access ver 2.7?

thanks

Bert

Reply #219

Nevermind, I got ver 2.7, thanks

Bert

Reply #220
Hi, i am using Windows 8.1 Update (Pro, x64, ru_RU, all updates installed) with Windows Media Player Plus! 2.7 and WMP still crashing after start for me:(

Reply #221
Please report back the technical details of the crash. Open the Start screen, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application, and look for Error in that list, there should be such an event for each crash. Double-click the latest event and copy/paste its description into your reply. Thanks!

Reply #222
Hi;

I only recently acquired a new computer and was introduced to the horrors of the "new and improved" Media Player 12. A little searching led me to your wonderful program. After a couple of weeks
with it, I to started suffering the disappearing 'Tag Editor Plus' and 'Find In Library' choices. I have 2.7 installed and am still having those buttons go missing. Yesterday I re-installed the program and
it worked for awhile. Today, however, right-clicking a song again fails to offer those choices.

Reply #223
Which version of Windows are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please make sure that WMP Plus is still loaded - it should be listed and checked in WMP's Tools - Plug-ins menu (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

When the menu items don't appear, where exactly in WMP's user interface are you right-clicking a song?

Reply #224
Which version of Windows are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please make sure that WMP Plus is still loaded - it should be listed and checked in WMP's Tools - Plug-ins menu (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

When the menu items don't appear, where exactly in WMP's user interface are you right-clicking a song?

64-Bit. I know it's not guaranteed to work with it, and I wouldn't have said anything if it hadn't worked before, and for a couple of weeks.

Okay, I checked the Tools and it's there, and it was unchecked. I checked the box and decided to answer your last question before taking a look.

It was happening in the Now Playing list pane and in the regular Album screen.

And now that you gave me that info I just reloaded WMP and it's back! Thank you so much for that information. If I have anymore trouble I'll look there first.

I do have another possibly stupid question: Is there a way to turn "Party Shuffle" off altogether? I don't really do playlists.

Thanks again for your quick response and your help.
Steve