Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Auto retreive CD Titles from freedb on disc insert? (Read 6888 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto retreive CD Titles from freedb on disc insert?

I've seen MANY topics on this, and have a few components that I thought would accomplish this (seems it used to be possible but isn't in newest version) and was wondering if there is a way to use plugins such as masstagger to have the cd titles automatically retreived from freedb upon inserting a disc? The only reason I ask when so many others have is because there may have been some developments since those were posted.

Reply #1
Inside foobar2000's installer is the freedb-plugin. Run the installer again and make sure you checkbox it under optional. Then after inserting a cd it's a matter of selecting and a rightmouse click or two.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply, is there a way of currently having Foobar or a Foobar plugin accomplish this automatically without user intervention?

Reply #4
Wasn't it possible before with foo_freedb before it was rendered obselete by 0.9? Is it possible at all anymore?

Reply #5
By design, fb2k doesn't access the internet without your expressed wish to do so.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
I agree, but I would have thought that it could be possible by a) giving foobar my pre-configured blessing to do so and/or by b) utilizing a plugin that defys the design modal slightly to allow for automation, surely?

Reply #7
Inserting the disc requires manual effort. Ripping it requires manual effort. Ensuring that the freedb results are correct requires manual effort. What's one more click in this process to retrieve the data? And what about false-positives and whatnot? I'm all for automation, but this is over-automation to me. freedb occasionally requires user-intervention.

Reply #8
But it automatically retreives SOMETHING from freedb, it's not as though one has to type the title of the artist and album, is it? And the times it is wrong are very few and far between (by the way, I'm not using Foobar for ripping, just listening). It just seems that it WAS possible, so it must have been desired by some users before?

Reply #9
I´d appreciate the option for automation here, too. Mostly the first hit is ok from freedb...

Reply #10
I´d appreciate the option for automation here, too. Mostly the first hit is ok from freedb...

Automating this would be useful for me as well.  I use a PC without keyboard/mouse running foobar as my main home music system.  It is controlled by an IR remote control from the other side of the room (I'm using size 32 fonts!). Anything that can't be done by a single key press is difficult to do from the remote, and I really don't want to start using context menus from that distance!

Reply #11
Ensuring that the freedb results are correct requires manual effort.

I disagree. You could have freedb catching the data automatically, and when you look at the tracks you can easily see if it's wrong and correct it. That's automation with a occasional manual intervention.

I do this with EAC and usually there are no problems with it.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #12
You're welcome to disagree. I, for one, would not mind having more automation either. However, it seems as though the development team has routinely chosen against automation, preferring a single-click-per-action approach.

Reply #13
... preferring a single-click-per-action approach

wich any makes sense as you 1. often enough has more than one result for the same result and 2. the applied result is stored in a database (cddb-folder).

Reply #14
But it isn't really a single-click-per-action approach as it involves:

One click and drag to select the tracks
      One right click to select menu
            One click for freedb tagger
                One click for update tracks
                      One click to close the tag dialog box

So that's a bit more than single click approach.

Reply #15
One click and drag to select the tracks
      One right click to select menu
            One click for freedb tagger
                One click for update tracks
                      One click to close the tag dialog box

...and one click TO RULE THEM ALL!!
(I just couldn't stop myself...)

Reply #16
What happens when freedb finds multiple results for the same CD? Select the first one? Present the user with a list like it already does when querying manually?

Reply #17
Very few times (so far never for me) it gets it wrong, if so, you should be able to correct the mistake by right-click menu selection.