Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I spent 4k on a 18 year car (Read 4246 times) previous topic - next topic

I spent 4k on a 18 year car

Hmmm...ok, lemme start with this. I had a 1986 Volvo 240 for about 10 months that never gave me problems. Then a lame Escalade ran into the back of me and totaled it.

Well, I just recently found a 1990 Volvo 240 with a 143k miles on it for 3,900.00 after TTL. I've been pricing these Volvos for the past year and that's about what they go for in excellent condition(also agrees with the kelly blue book price). It had a new paint job and everything on it looks to be in mint condition. It also has a new timing belt and converted AC. It drove really good. I put a down payment on it and I will be buying it in a couple of weeks when I get my settlement money. I also did a car fax report on it and it showed no wrecks on it or problems with it.

My friend saids that I am crazy to spend 4 grand on a 18 yr car. But my previous volvo, although i only had it 10 months, ran great. I am hoping for the same with this one. Do ya'll think I made a mistake?

Reply #1
Hmmm...ok, lemme start with this. I had a 1986 Volvo 240 for about 10 months that never gave me problems. Then a lame Escalade ran into the back of me and totaled it.

Well, I just recently found a 1990 Volvo 240 with a 143k miles on it for 3,900.00 after TTL. I've been pricing these Volvos for the past year and that's about what they go for in excellent condition(also agrees with the kelly blue book price). It had a new paint job and everything on it looks to be in mint condition. It also has a new timing belt and converted AC. It drove really good. I put a down payment on it and I will be buying it in a couple of weeks when I get my settlement money. I also did a car fax report on it and it showed no wrecks on it or problems with it.

My friend saids that I am crazy to spend 4 grand on a 18 yr car. But my previous volvo, although i only had it 10 months, ran great. I am hoping for the same with this one. Do ya'll think I made a mistake?

An 18 year old car with 143,000 miles on it.....  I wish you luck.

Reply #2
I think you made a mistake, or rather, i would've never bought that. You're probably thinking that a Volvo is the safest car money can buy, "built like a tank", you hear people say. If you do, let me tell you that car safety has improved tremendously since those old models, even though they were ahead of their time concerning safety. The british motoring show Fifth Gear recently did a crash test with a 15 year old Volvo vs. a 3 year old Renault with a 5 star NCAP rating:

Page 1
Page 2
Youtube video

The end result is rather drastic, basically you get crushed in the Volvo.

So, it's clear it has no safety advantage over newer cars, and that's about the only advantage worth a Volvo. In conclusion, get a newer car instead.

Reply #3
A woman I know is driving an older Volvo wagon. Over 300,000 miles on it and she says all she ever does is change the oil. The father of a buddy of mine is the kind of guy who buys a car and then drives it into the ground. He swears he'll never buy a Volvo because he doesn't want to own a car that long.
I once owned a 1955 Volvo PV544 that I bought for $100 and drove for two years, then sold it for $200. I've never heard anyone speak poorly about a Volvo that I can recall.

Reply #4
ya, my last 1986 volvo i had it only for 10 months but in that time it never broke down. i've been driving my moms extra chevy cavalier 1993 for about 10 months also. in that time the cavalier has broke down a few times and costed me a total of 2,000(for reals!) in repairs. i never want to buy a ford or chevy ever again. after driving that old volvo i am disgusted how that cavalier was made so poorly. no pride in workman ship.

Reply #5
There are many anecdotal stories of Volvos lasting for a very long time.  That being said, consumer reports and other sources consistently show Volvo as being one of the more expensive non-luxury brands to maintain.

Four thousand dollars will buy you a much newer Accord/Camary or Civic/Tercel with dual front airbags, a much better reliability rating, and less expensive repairs.

Regardless of what CarFax says - I would be very cautious about a car with a new paint-job as well.

The main issue is, IMHO, regardless of reliability and initial build quality, at 18 years we're talking body-mounts (if any on this car), suspension bushings, fuel and brake line hoses, caliper seals, power steering hoses and (more expensively) pump seals...the list goes on and on - all the small issues and non-metallic parts which corrode with time and will come up to haunt you if you are unable/unwilling to address them yourself.
Creature of habit.

Reply #6
If it had been an Italian sports car I would have seen  4K on an 18yr old car as no big deal, but an 18 year old Volvo with that many miles...Hmmm. Although, like others I've heard the stories about Volvos dependability and longevity and safety. You might end up with a few quirks but you'll probably be okay
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming." --Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

Reply #7
I paid $2000 for a '73 Beetle in not-so-good condition when I was younger and stupider. I can't offer you advice, but I can offer you schadenfreude.

Reply #8
In my younger and stupider days, I bought a British car (Triumph Spitfire) and a British motorcycle (BSA). Great as long as you prefer working on your vehicle rather than driving it.

Why are there no British computer companies?
Their engineers can't figure out how to make a PC leak oil.

Reply #9
Volvo 240 is the best car ever, my father drove them long times.
Advantage of these old cars:
You can repair and maintain many stuff easily yourself or by some more or less gifted car mechanics guy without special tools or knowledge or computers.

I cannot say, if 18 years and 4000 is a bargain and compare to others used cars.

But i express my opinion, that air bags, modern electronics etc. are not needed to drive. Drive in a safe manner, not too fast and don't stick too close to other cars...
Back to basics !

Check your Volvo for corrosion everywhere, depends also, if salt had been distributed over the streets in winter and snow, ice times.
it depends also, if the 1st owner had sprayed wax, oil, bitumen into the hollow parts of the car to protect internally against corrosion. Even sweat-water might otherwise cause corrosion in long times.
oh, and i don't like Diesel, poison to our air, Diesel is more expensive to maintain,
drive benzine models, and fit them with propane/butane injection system....  Good for your pocket -wallett and for our air, environment !!

Reply #10
In my younger and stupider days, I bought a British car (Triumph Spitfire) and a British motorcycle (BSA). Great as long as you prefer working on your vehicle rather than driving it.

Why are there no British computer companies?
Their engineers can't figure out how to make a PC leak oil.

Wrong. They can't find a PC CPU chip with positive ground! 
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston