Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How viable is Opus for encoding multi-channel audio? (Read 6277 times) previous topic - next topic

How viable is Opus for encoding multi-channel audio?

Hi!

I'm wondering how opus fares these days for multi-channel audio. Can I expect proper channel orders in files and during playback? Can I expect efficient encoding of audio without artifacts for multi-channel also? (Including the data appropriately divided between the channels)

Are there any recommended and/or specific settings for multi-channel?

Re: How viable is Opus for encoding multi-channel audio?

Reply #1
Can I expect proper channel orders in files and during playback? Can I expect efficient encoding of audio without artifacts for multi-channel also? (Including the data appropriately divided between the channels)
Yes. (I tested only with 5.1 though.)
It'd be a good idea to test the correctness of channel layout anyway.

Are there any recommended and/or specific settings for multi-channel?
Default settings, just as for stereo.
You'd probably want to use a higher quality setting, because it is an approximation of total bitrate, not per channel or per coupled channel pair.
For example, if you are satisfied with `--bitrate 128` for stereo, it'd likely be reasonable to use `--bitrate 256` for 5.1.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #2
Yes. (I tested only with 5.1 though.)
It'd be a good idea to test the correctness of channel layout anyway.

Default settings, just as for stereo.
You'd probably want to use a higher quality setting, because it is an approximation of total bitrate, not per channel or per coupled channel pair.
For example, if you are satisfied with `--bitrate 128` for stereo, it'd likely be reasonable to use `--bitrate 256` for 5.1.

Thanks for the tips. I expected to raise the bitrate. I was just wondering how well it's utilized between channels. Whether there's any bitrate wasted for silent channels, or others are starved.

Reply #5
Maybe offtopic, but is there a plugin for foobar that enables these gauges so you can see the bitrate in realtime, like on that site?

Would love such an option in foobar :)

Reply #6
Maybe offtopic, but is there a plugin for foobar that enables these gauges so you can see the bitrate in realtime, like on that site?

Foobar does this by default in the statusbar.

Reply #7
It may not be a scientific answer but as for bitrates, I found that 288kbps is the golden cut of transparency for me on multichannel (5.1) audio. I had to go though through listening isolated channels which may not  be considered a legit way of quality checks. Give it a test though.

Reply #8

Foobar does this by default in the statusbar.

Yes, but as numbers. Would be nice to have some gauge or even a history (line) option.

Too bad this is not possible (?) with FLAC. Only the average bitrate is shown.