Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod badly distorts high bitrate MP3 (Read 24828 times) previous topic - next topic

iPod badly distorts high bitrate MP3

Reply #25
After weeks of listening tests that I found to be intense and at time exasperating (I mean, there are some songs I never really want to hear again) I have decided on a practical solution. I'm encoding at 224 AAC using the iTunes application. I have been quite happy with the playback and have found no trace of the distortion problem. High frequencies are convincing enough that I don't spend all my time thinking about sound quality. I was having that problem with the LAME mp3's. I would hear an artifact and it would draw my attention, thereby destroying my immersion in the musical experience. This still happens at times with the AAC, but not as often.

I really wanted to use the highly tested and mostly open standard solution of EAC with LAME. I was not happy with having to use a proprietary format (Apple AAC). But it is nice to actually be using the iPod now, instead of doing listening tests. What I'd really like to do is find a way to make EAC and iTunes play well together, but the times I've tried to rip with one and encode with the other required so many extra steps and manual data entry it just wasn't worth it.

I've got over a hundred discs encoded so far and am really enjoying this little wonder.

The next step will be to get a giant HD (250 gb or more) and rip lossless for future transcoding. I'm happy for now, though.

Reply #26
I was not happy with having to use a proprietary format (Apple AAC).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would you feel better if I said to you that AAC is from the same committee that developed MP3?

But it is nice to actually be using the iPod now, instead of doing listening tests.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233760"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A nice point, the really important one.

What I'd really like to do is find a way to make EAC and iTunes play well together, but the times I've tried to rip with one and encode with the other required so many extra steps and manual data entry it just wasn't worth it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233760"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22391]this whole thread[/url]? I've heard people there able to integrate EAC and Itunes AAC encoder from the first attempt flawlessly.

Reply #27
I really wanted to use the highly tested and mostly open standard solution of EAC with LAME. I was not happy with having to use a proprietary format (Apple AAC). [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233760"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah.. the other name for AAC in MPEG4 is MP4.. Compared to MP3, MP4 is a very advance encoder.. comprising many new tools which even Apple didn't implement in its ITune !! 

AAC has much improved temporal and aliasing handling capabilities than MP3..