Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ModPlayer, perfect replay of pt2.3d ? (Read 4028 times) previous topic - next topic

ModPlayer, perfect replay of pt2.3d ?

hey fellaws ..

been thinking if there's a mod replayer plugin for foobar which can play mods just as they sound on an original amiga with protracker v2.3d.
i've made one d&b track which maybe ft2 with amiga bla can replay, not exactly the same but almost.

all others just can't. replaying my subbass slides totally wrong.

if any of you dev's want it as reference, hit me!

Reply #1
Please PM me your reference file.

Reply #2
Protracker DnB? I'm interested too, even though I have no ability to help fix things. =3

Reply #3
Please try the tracks with foo_dumb, and make sure that the preferences item "Use playptmod or modplay" is enabled, as is the current default.

With that checkbox enabled, the following replayers are enabled:
  • Playptmod: For various MOD formats, including FT2 variants, and also MTM. Written from the ground up to follow the assembly source of ProTracker 2. Except for the mixer, which is currently based off my resampler.c, using blep synthesis mode, fed through the filter functions originally included with playptmod.
  • st3play: For S3M files. Written based on some borrowed ScreamTracker 3.x source code. Faithfully reproduces all behavior of ST3. Except for the mixer, which loosely models the original, and uses my resampler.c, in any of the six resampling modes provided.
  • ft2play: For XM files. Written based on some Fast Tracker 2 source code, also lovingly gifted by someone who shall remain unnamed. Except, again, for the mixer, which loosely models the original, and uses my resampler.
  • BASS: For IT files, unless it fails to load them, which then falls back on DUMB. This design choice was for supporting the small quantity of Modplug filter using IT files in the wild. It may be replaced in the future with native support for BASS's filters library, and some it2play or similar concoction, assuming I ever get ahold of such a thing.

Resampler.c is a simple low latency resampler, designed to have a maximum latency of 64 samples, which is compile time configurable. It supports the following resampling methods:
  • ZOH: Zero-Order Hold, or no interpolation whatsoever. No attempt is made to handle aliasing or jitter, and any sample ratios (in/out) of 1.0 or higher are guaranteed to start dropping input samples.
  • Blep Synthesis: Like Zero-Order Hold, only converting input sample streams into a stream of deltas/offsets, applying those offsets to the output buffer using a FIR sinc pulse with a slight low-pass filter, then integrating those output samples for the caller. An optional decay is applied to the accumulator on output, which is recommended for sample data which changes regularly, but not where constant DC offset is required.
  • Linear Interpolation: Self-explanatory, interpolates between two surrounding samples in a linear fashion. No attempt is made to handle sample rates over 1.0, so aliasing will occur in those cases.
  • Blam Synthesis: Like Linear Interpolation, only interpolated samples are processed in the same way as Blep Synthesis, through a FIR impulse sinc resampler. For sample ratios over 1.0, input samples are not interpolated, but merely Blep Synthesized into the output buffer, using the same phase/fraction precision as the Blep Synthesis resampler. Thus, high sample rates are handled gracefully, and filtered in a pleasing manner.
  • Cubic Interpolation: Uses a simple cubic spline coefficient table, to draw a cubic spline between four samples surrounding the desired input point. Makes no attempt to handle ratios over 1.0 in a special way, so depending on how high the ratio actually is, some aliasing may occur.
  • Sinc Interpolation: Uses the same Nuttall 3-term windowed sinc to sample from the input data, producing individual output samples. Not exactly the best at low pass or high pass restriction, but produces a fairly decent conversion of decent to high quality samples.

In order from fastest to slowest: ZOH, Linear, Cubic, Blep/Sinc depending, and Blam.

In order from "worst" to "nicest": ZOH, Blep. This group may be preferred subjectively, depending on the type of samples used.
Same, for interpolated: Entirely subjective. Some may prefer Linear, Cubic, or Sinc. Blam provides the upsampling of Linear and the downsampling of Blep or Sinc.

Reply #4
Please try the tracks with foo_dumb, and make sure that the preferences item "Use playptmod or modplay" is enabled, as is the current default.

With that checkbox enabled, the following replayers are enabled:

• Playptmod: For various MOD formats, including FT2 variants, and also MTM. Written from the ground up to follow the assembly source of ProTracker 2. Except for the mixer, which is currently based off my resampler.c, using blep synthesis mode, fed through the filter functions originally included with playptmod.

nope, still not replayed correctly. the note to glide and portamentos are still played wrong!

Reply #5
Protracker 2.3d Win32

here's the protracker 2.3d replayer (now also tracker) i've spoken of.
last update 13hours ago ..

gonna listen my mod on there and let you know if the dude got it right.

wow, a tracker port which also has problems playing it correctly.

what's going on?

i will try to record the song somehow out of winuae or so. ft2 replay's it _almost_ correct, but not precisely.
my amiga died 14years ago and i haven't bought any new one. i also haven't thought that i'd use pt2.3d tricks
that massively that some players have problems with it. or maybe the first mod replayer on pc got it wrong
and the rest is build from that?

deliplayer on/for pc, i think that player was able replaying it correctly, but i think the project died.

DeliPlayer v2

the weird part about this player is that it's using a small 68k emulater and is using the original
replayer (amiga asm) from the amiga  deliplayer.

Reply #6
tEiS: First, play the song with ProTracker 2.3D on an Amiga or WinUAE, and point out what pattern/row it first fails, then post it here. I'm tired of people just saying "this song fails", not telling where it fails! If it works in FT2 mode, then it's an extended period problem, and if so it would seem like you didn't make the MOD with ProTracker.

(MOD in question: http://amp.dascene.net/downmod.php?index=68997)
Protracker 2.3d Win32

here's the protracker 2.3d replayer (now also tracker) i've spoken of.
last update 13hours ago ..

gonna listen my mod on there and let you know if the dude got it right.

wow, a tracker port which also has problems playing it correctly.

what's going on?

i will try to record the song somehow out of winuae or so. ft2 replay's it _almost_ correct, but not precisely.
my amiga died 14years ago and i haven't bought any new one. i also haven't thought that i'd use pt2.3d tricks
that massively that some players have problems with it. or maybe the first mod replayer on pc got it wrong
and the rest is build from that?

deliplayer on/for pc, i think that player was able replaying it correctly, but i think the project died.

DeliPlayer v2

the weird part about this player is that it's using a small 68k emulater and is using the original
replayer (amiga asm) from the amiga  deliplayer.

Reply #7
tEiS: First, play the song with ProTracker 2.3D on an Amiga or WinUAE, and point out what pattern/row it first fails, then post it here. I'm tired of people just saying "this song fails", not telling where it fails! If it works in FT2 mode, then it's an extended period problem, and if so it would seem like you didn't make the MOD with ProTracker.

pos 24
pattern 11
channel 4
from row 06 to 35

it's fixed .. great job, 8bitbubsy!

Reply #8
Yeah I fixed it on my ProTracker clone, but I have yet to change the code for the foobar2000 replayer. Not sure when I get in touch with kode54, as he's usually online when I'm sleeping, vice versa.

Reply #9
It should be fixed in foo_dumb as of several days ago.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass, the fix I uploaded wasn't for that, it was for something else. Hold up.

Reply #10
Bumping the topic to report that it should most definitely be fixed now. Please test to be sure, though.

Reply #11
Bumping the topic to report that it should most definitely be fixed now. Please test to be sure, though.

yup seems all fine now. note slides are as they should be