Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Audio CD copy protection (Read 4488 times) previous topic - next topic

New Audio CD copy protection

A company called SunnComm Technologies wants to introduce a new way (invented by Stealth Media Labs) to prevent copying Audio CDs. It's called StealthChannel.

They want to use a Miami University "invention" by creating a virtual space in stereo signal, another channel, which would bear a non-destroyable watermark and other infos with range from text to pictures. The channel should come into being by time-shifting of left and right audio channels. The authors claim that human ear can hear no audible difference between the channels. This channel could contain a software which would prevent a copying, among the others. Its advantage should be in the following feature: it wouldn't disappear after copying, even after digital to analog. It is said it would be in the maximum efficient way resistant against digital filtering.

It should be "brought into the life" in reedition of "The Early Sessions" from Ike and Tina Turner.

Info here: http://www.cdr.cz/a/clanky/clanek/5000 (it's in Czech  )

Reply #1
In what way would it prevent copying ?
Do they expect all digital devices to implement their watermark recognition ?

Reply #2
Pio2001:

Sorry, but this is all, what I found. No other details... and the SunnComm website is about everything else, but this topic I haven't found there.

Reply #3
This type of copy protection method usually leads to the condition that PC cannot play the disc  .

Reply #4
Nothing beats the all mighty line-in! If it can heard or listend to, it can be copied.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Legal disclaimer: QHOBBES does in no way, shape, or form encourage piracy, unless it is do defeat pointless copy pertection[/span]
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Reply #5
Don't forget that Bedeox managed to ABX a line in copy from a digital one in my blind test , and a true DAT line in, not a soundcard minijack.

Reply #6
Don't forget that Bedeox managed to ABX a line in copy from a digital one in my blind test

Cheers,
David.

Reply #7
LOL!

People have already stopped making 128 Xing CBR MP3's -- they 'make' them at 48kbps and then transcode to 128.

Reply #8
People have already stopped making 128 Xing CBR MP3's -- they 'make' them at 48kbps and then transcode to 128.

How did you know that my post originally had the word "Xing" in it?

Anyway, why transcode to 128kbps when you can transcode to 320kbps and improve the quality even more? 

(NEWBIES: THAT'S A JOKE!!!!)

D.