Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audigy2 + 24 bit playback (Read 6808 times) previous topic - next topic

Audigy2 + 24 bit playback

WindowsXP sp1, Audigy2 latest drivers (5.12.1.323) and foobar2k 0.42.

16 bit playback works fine (well REALLY fine  ) but if i choose 24 bit output my computer hangs after t < 15 min.
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Reply #1
Do you have 'allow hardware mixing' enabled??

Reply #2
Plays 24bit stuff fine, using Win.NET Svr, DX9 and hardware mixing activated.

Reply #3

Yes Guillame, hw mixing is activated and DirectSound output too.
Dx9 installed.
Maybe all the thing is driver-related and possibly not caused by fb2k.
Dunno

Thanks  all
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Reply #4

Yes Guillame, hw mixing is activated and DirectSound output too.
Dx9 installed.
Maybe all the thing is driver-related and possibly not caused by fb2k.
Dunno

Thanks  all

Try disabling it, I'd say...

Reply #5
Perhaps we can again safely say that 24 bit is more *ahem* creative advertising.

Reply #6
Perhaps we can again safely say that 24 bit is more *ahem* creative advertising.

No. The A2 is perfectly capable of outputting a true 24/96 hardware mixed DirectSound stream. I suggest the original poster either adjusts the buffer settings and/or put the A2 in another PCI-slot.

Reply #7
Yes, and the Audigy1 has a genuine 24/96 DAC, but the Emu10k2 is only capable of processing at 16/48. Of course, they may have gotten it right this time, but I don't feel like wasting my money, at least not yet.

Reply #8

No. The A2 is perfectly capable of outputting a true 24/96 hardware mixed DirectSound stream. I suggest the original poster either adjusts the buffer settings and/or put the A2 in another PCI-slot.

Thanks for all the advices.

Done everything, nothing changes 

Anyway this is not a critical issue for me, i'll be happy with 16 bit output 

Bye

Reply #9
Yes, and the Audigy1 has a genuine 24/96 DAC, but the Emu10k2 is only capable of processing at 16/48. Of course, they may have gotten it right this time, but I don't feel like wasting my money, at least not yet.

EMU10k2 is still capable of processing only at 24/96. eX model will feature some improved chip version, but we will see.

Reply #10
What rate the EMU10K2 operates at is irrelevant for pure music playback when it comes to the A2. As long as you don't apply EAX, CMSS etc you get real 24/96 audio. How many people listen to music with reverb effects anyway?

I was sceptical of this at first (given the Audigy1 fiasco), but I have investigated this issue to some extent and the A2 really is a 24/192 playback, 24/96 recording card.

Reply #11
As Audigy1 IS too, if you output to digital output.

Reply #12
In the meanwhile, you can try the kernel streaming (ks) output and see if you still have this problem.
link in this topic