Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 384 MP3 to Ogg Vorbis -q5 (Read 4405 times) previous topic - next topic

384 MP3 to Ogg Vorbis -q5

Hi there!

I'm just wondering, music that is encoded in 384kbps MP3 and then transcoded to Vorbis 1.0.1 using -q5 ... what difference in quality do you think one can expect in comparison to vorbis -q5 from CD-DA?

I know... transcoding is never a very good idea, but going from 384 (even when using mp3) to 160 vorbis should give the process a source that is capable of producing a near "from-cd-da-q5-quality", or not? Thx for your opinions!
Ogg Vorbis: 1.0.1 q5 (preferred)
LAME MP3: 3.90.3 standard fast
EAC using UltraPlex

Reply #1
384kbps MP3??? Does such a thing really exist?? I've always thought 320Kb/s was the maximum for MP3....

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #2
I know... transcoding is never a very good idea, but going from 384 (even when using mp3) to 160 vorbis should give the process a source that is capable of producing a near "from-cd-da-q5-quality", or not? Thx for your opinions!

It´s not possible to make a valid statement as the quantization noise introduced by MP3 compression may or may not totally confuse the psychoacoustic model used by Vorbis. Make some encodings and let your ears decide.

Reply #3
384kbps MP3??? Does such a thing really exist?? I've always thought 320Kb/s was the maximum for MP3....

Sergio

Well, there is freeformat MP3 which allows pretty much any bitrate, but there shouldn't be much sw/hw supporting it. IIRC, however, MP2 can be 384 kbps, maybe the file is actually a MP2 with MP3 "filesuffix" (arrgh, don't remember the correct term in english...)

Reply #4
maybe the file is actually a MP2 with MP3 "filesuffix" (arrgh, don't remember the correct term in english...)

extension 

Reply #5
"filesuffix" (arrgh, don't remember the correct term in english...)

Maybe "extension"?

Reply #6
@smz: I always thought that too, but I have in fact run across such files: freeform MP3 is the term. It seems one online music store (www.allofmp3.com) archives their files in exactly that quality and then does an online-encoding: you select which codec (MP3Lame, MP3Blade, WMA7-9, Ogg Vorbis, MPEG-4 ACC, MPC) and which quality (from 128kbps WMA7 to VorbisQ10) and then they encode it right there in front of your eyes... or I should say "transcode"! For some records they have an experimental feature which encodes from CD-DA.

@maikmerten: My ears say: "stop all the cars in front of my appartment, stop the construction work going on two streets away, shut those damn kinds up playing on the street, give me an amp and speakers worth a whole bunch of money, a musical education with lots and lots of ear-training, make me five years younger and prevent me from going to one one disco after the other at the age of 16 'till 19 and then maybe, with a little bit of genetic luck, we could hear the differences."
Ogg Vorbis: 1.0.1 q5 (preferred)
LAME MP3: 3.90.3 standard fast
EAC using UltraPlex

Reply #7
@smz: I always thought that too, but I have in fact run across such files: freeform MP3 is the term. It seems one online music store (www.allofmp3.com) archives their files in exactly that quality and then does an online-encoding: you select which codec (MP3Lame, MP3Blade, WMA7-9, Ogg Vorbis, MPEG-4 ACC, MPC) and which quality (from 128kbps WMA7 to VorbisQ10) and then they encode it right there in front of your eyes... or I should say "transcode"! For some records they have an experimental feature which encodes from CD-DA.

Apparently some of their newer material is stored losslessly on the site and not transcoded.  See this post.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame