Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.3 Released (Read 59319 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #25
It's on my todo list, but I have no timeline as to when it's going to appear.

Thanks for that reply. The missing timeline doesn't matter, at least it's good to know that support for APE is planned to be added sometime in the future.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #26
There is a small bug in FLAC decoder v1.1.2b included in Winamp Essentials: option 'show average bitrate while playing' gives oposite results.

yep, that's a carryover from the reference plugin, it should say 'show instantaneous bitrate while playing'

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #27
Funny ways AOL has of making themselves look good... :)

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #28
Funny ways AOL has of making themselves look good...

If you'll notice, the code used to generate that graph seems to fill the bars -minimally- to the end of each item's text.  MSN is the only one that reaches beyond.  Just an odd bug, or poor design, and kind of offtopic too.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #30
I see in the changelog that 5.3 supports 24bit decoding. Now, is 24bit able to improve playback quality (audibly?) of compressed audio such as mp3 when the decoder itself creates 24bit output? This could be the case, since mp3 "waveform" is created at output time. What would the improvement actually be, just SNR?

BTW, does anybody know how foobar handles this? I assume bitrate conversion happens after decoding there.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #31
I see in the changelog that 5.3 supports 24bit decoding. Now, is 24bit able to improve playback quality (audibly?) of compressed audio such as mp3 when the decoder itself creates 24bit output? This could be the case, since mp3 "waveform" is created at output time. What would the improvement actually be, just SNR?

The native output of Winamp's mp3 decoder is 64bit float, so converting to 24 or 16 only happens at the end.  If your soundcard's DAC is 24bit, why decimate to 16 only to have the driver add zeroes to go back up to 24?  It makes more sense to go straight to 24.  Also, applying ReplayGain and decimating to 16bit is problematic, as you effectively lose 1-2 bits of dynamic range, and that's starting to head into audibility territory.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #32
Benski, on the topic of the mp3 decoder, does the in_mp3 plugin perform any dithering when it is set to output 16 bits? If not, is this planned for a future release?

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #33
@LMS

Dithering is always used if "Use Dither" is selected in the "Playback" options. It's a global setting that works for in_mp3.dll, in_vorbis.dll, in_wm.dll and in_mp4.dll. The additional in_flac.dll should be supported by it as well.

Edit: It's "setting", not "settings"

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #34
The native output of Winamp's mp3 decoder is 64bit float, so converting to 24 or 16 only happens at the end.  If your soundcard's DAC is 24bit, why decimate to 16 only to have the driver add zeroes to go back up to 24?  It makes more sense to go straight to 24.  Also, applying ReplayGain and decimating to 16bit is problematic, as you effectively lose 1-2 bits of dynamic range, and that's starting to head into audibility territory.

So, if I understand correctly, if one has an audio card, that only supports 16-bit output, one should not enable ReplayGain, as it will decrease output quality? Is it recommended then to use DirectSound output, which can output 24-bits even if the audio card doesn't support it. I know that there is a conversion done, so the actual output is still 16-bit, but is the loss you described not present with 24-bit output w/ DirectSound output?
lame -V 0

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #35
There is now an update pack installer available which contains updated bugfix versions of in_mp3, ml_local, ml_playlists, and the missing filereader.w5s

Download Winamp 5.3 Update Pack | More Info

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #36

So, if I understand correctly, if one has an audio card, that only supports 16-bit output, one should not enable ReplayGain, as it will decrease output quality?

Note the very careful wording: "starting to head into".

In practise it will only apply to files with large negative gains, which usually don't exactly have a lot of dynamic range to start with.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #37
When I use 24 bit, it is interressant to enable dither or not ?

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #38
Found possible bug: when playing internet radio stream, the "View file info" or alt+3 should display stream URL, codec etc., however it doesn't do anything.

J.M.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #39
When I use 24 bit, it is interressant to enable dither or not ?

Not really. Dithering is important for 16 bit playback of 24 bit source material, but not the other way round.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #40
Sorry if this been already answered, but I seem having problem with id3 tags - I have files with both id3v1 and id3v2, but Winamp will display id3v1?? shouldn't it display id3v2 if both id3 versions are present?
Also to the new mp3 file info box, I'm missing some information here (mainly stereo type)

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #41
Sorry if this been already answered, but I seem having problem with id3 tags - I have files with both id3v1 and id3v2, but Winamp will display id3v1?? shouldn't it display id3v2 if both id3 versions are present?
Also to the new mp3 file info box, I'm missing some information here (mainly stereo type)

Yes, ID3v2 takes precedence over ID3v1.
It sounds like you've installed some 3rd-party mp3 input plugin,
eg. one of: in_mad, in_!mpg123, or in_mp3pro, maybe?

The only known issues with the extra fields (Album Artist, Disc, Gain) in the newer in_mp3 Tag Editor are:
1) tabbing is not in the correct order, and
2) Disc isn't grayed-out when ID3v2 is unchecked,
both of which have already been fixed internally for 5.31

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #42
Updated in_mp3.dll available
http://stashbox.org/2168/in_mp3.dll

This fixes the following 5.3/5.3a-specific issues:
-Lame header ignored when ID3v2 tag is greater than 16kb
-An ID3v2.4 per-frame unsynchronization bug
-Crash when modifying ID3v2.4 tags with UTF-8 data
-And possibly some other minor fixes...

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #46
the predixis crap generally adds about 0.5Mb to the installer once it's been built

-daz

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #47
Unicode, support for 24 Bit, ReplayGain scanner, CD Text support, this all brings a few kb more.

But I agree, Predixis is huge and crap.

[Edit]Hey DrO, two times the word "crap" related to predixis, that's funny.

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #48
Quote from: http://flac.sourceforge.net/
Winamp 5.31 now includes Nullsoft FLAC plugins for encoding and decoding. The decoder is based on our reference decoder plugin. However the current encoder plugin is based on a pre-release of flake and we recommend to not use it for archival yet.

Also see:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=443961

Winamp 5.3 Released

Reply #49
Oh noes.. 1mb larger download. Tragedy!!!
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei