Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_shpeck (Read 724876 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #150
had 0.2.0 and updated to 0.2.1 and CRASH
Thanks for reporting! It was broken in 0.2.0 as well, but it could crash only occasionally.

---

Shpeck v0.2.2
(obsolete links removed)

Changelog:
  • Fixed: Crash on files with sample rate < 44.1 kHz or on song change between files with different sample rate.
  • Fixed: Reporting possibly invalid waveform/spectrum data from files with non-standard channel count.
I wonder what those "beta versions" everybody else is using are for...
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #152
No, I meant the usage in software development process generally, so that uninterested people can use some kind of stable version, upgrade only once a while to another stable version and don't be bothered with unstable new code. I thought I should try that too, once.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #153
Great plugin but i still have have problems with using it inside a box (UI element).
Maybe it isn't implemented yet ... or i'm just too dumb.

I created my own layout (0.9.5.1) and have a section with the standard spectrum-visualisation.
Now i want to put the milkdrop (or any other visualisation) right into that box (instead of build-in spectrum-visualisation).

I go to layout-editing mode, choose "replace ui-element" but i don't see a way to pin the visualisation to that box.

Anyway ... keep on working ... as i said before - it's a great plugin

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #154
Currently, Shpeck works as a part of the layout under Columns UI/Panels UI only.

Support for 0.9.5+ default UI elements will be added when the SDK for creating third-party components with this functionality is released by the fb2k developer.

That will happen when the interface is finalized and most useful UI elements are sanely developed, without the risk of dozens of shitty components appearing and attracting innocent users.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #155
ok .. .thank you

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #156
Hi,

I am using winamp 5.52 and foobar 0.9.5 and latest shpeck.

I only see AVS plugin. Not milkdrop. My directory is c:\program files\winamp

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #157
Hi,

I am using winamp 5.52 and foobar 0.9.5 and latest shpeck.

I only see AVS plugin. Not milkdrop. My directory is c:\program files\winamp

copy the file
nscrt.dll
from
c:\program files\winamp
to your directory where foobar is installed
(like c:\program files\foobar2000)
just copy it into the same folder, where foobar2000.exe is.

After a rescan for plugins of shpeck you'll see all of the new vis-plugins of winamp

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #158
thx a lot!

Maybe add directions to the first post for us noobs?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #159
how can i open shpeck plugin via command-line?
this don't work:"C:\Archivos de programa\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /command:"Shpeck - Start 'Geiss 2[1.0] / Geiss 2[1.0]'".which should be the command?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #160
Maybe add directions to the first post for us noobs?
Maybe.

how can i open shpeck plugin via command-line?
this don't work:"C:\Archivos de programa\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /command:"Shpeck - Start 'Geiss 2[1.0] / Geiss 2[1.0]'".which should be the command?
`foobar2000.exe /command:"Shpeck - Start 'MilkDrop 1.04 / MilkDrop 1.04'"` works fine for me. Something breaks with the square brackets, or with Geiss only, perhaps?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #161
Is there anybody with Shpeck and AVS working right under Vista?
I can see only black screen and no visualization. Though when i select certain AVS presets i can see blinking or something like that. Like half of visualization is missing.
But AVS working OK with Winamp.
And everything is fine with foobar+shpeck under WinXP.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #162
Please, Yirkha! Can you do something with that? Save my poor soul

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #163
No, as there is no Vista in my proximity, your soul is doomed.

Anyway, do you use it in a CUI/PUI panel? Does it help if you try to resize the Shpeck window?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #164
No, as there is no Vista in my proximity, your soul is doomed.

Though I've never tried to resize the window, I tried to run the visualization in fullscreen. Still black screen only.
And it's under ColumnsUI.
Forgot to mention this: though I can't see visualization itself, I can see controls on top of the shpeck window.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #165
I was wondering: does anybody use the latest version of G-Force? Does it run embedded or does it still run in its own window?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #166
Thanks a lot for this. I have a problem with Milkdrop not responding to my keyboard though. The F-keys work fine (F1,F2,etc.), but regular keys like space and other numeric/alphabetical keys don't respond.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #167
Though I've never tried to resize the window, I tried to run the visualization in fullscreen. Still black screen only.
And it's under ColumnsUI.
I thought this had something to do with resizing, because it's quite messy when running in a panel (normally, the plugin creates the window itself with the width and height it wants, now I force it to live in a window created externally and to conform to the given size). But if it doesn't work in the full screen mode as well, it has probably some other cause - looks like the sound data are not getting through. I don't have any other ideas how to resolve this.

I have a problem with Milkdrop not responding to my keyboard though. The F-keys work fine (F1,F2,etc.), but regular keys like space and other numeric/alphabetical keys don't respond.
You might want to add some more information, particularly how do you run the plugin (in a stand-alone window or inside a panel).

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #168
This component instills wootage in my heart. Nullsoft Tiny Fullscreen runs error-free and smoothly.

Small notes (though I think some of them can't be solved within the plugin):

- Nullsoft tiny is a spectrum vis, exactly like FB's default, and the first 5-10 or so pixels are the exact same slanted gradient pattern as in FB's spectrum window when you start it. It also appears on Stop. No anomalies between songs, though, which is good.

- Shpeck Tiny shows the same upward streaking as FB's defauls spectrum. It's as if Bob Ross came by with his big brush and brushed gently upwards. I'm not sure how that happens. The plugin does the calculating, not FB. Or does it? Possibly related to issue 1.

- FB keys are disabled. I've mapped Ctrl+Left and Right, and a few others, to Next, Prev, volume up etc., but they don't work in Tiny Fullscreen. It's a bit of a shame because not having keyboard control in fullscreen is half the purpose defeated.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #169
- Nullsoft tiny is a spectrum vis, exactly like FB's default, and the first 5-10 or so pixels are the exact same slanted gradient pattern as in FB's spectrum window when you start it. It also appears on Stop. No anomalies between songs, though, which is good.
This is a feature of the foobar2000 core. The component asks for the spectrum data. If they are not available yet (as they are not computed when no visualisation needs them), it can ask for some kind of "dummy" data to show in the meantime.
I can easily just show nothing in that case, if the consensus is that it's better. Actually, I already do it that way in case of oscilloscope data, because it looked bad in the "Classic Spectrum Visualisation" I tested.

- Shpeck Tiny shows the same upward streaking as FB's defauls spectrum. It's as if Bob Ross came by with his big brush and brushed gently upwards. I'm not sure how that happens. The plugin does the calculating, not FB. Or does it? Possibly related to issue 1.
First, let's see how horrible the Winamp visualisation plugins interface is. They can ask for either the waveform data (oscilloscope), spectrum data, or both. And none of these methods are really realiable.
The spectrum data is only 576 values wide, presumably because of some old MP3 optimalization. Now that both limits the resolution considerably, particularly for the fullscreen display, and also makes it difficult to supply, because all normal FFT output has always been sized in powers of 2. (Shpeck just uses the 512 values wide one and stretch it a bit.)
Because of how bad the spectrum data are, I noticed the plugins tend to use the waveform data and compute the spectrum itself. But this is not ideal as well - each time, the plugin gets only 576 sample values. To get the precise spectrum for CD Audio, for example, it would need to be called exactly 44100/576=76.5625 times per second, which is not too feasible.

Now back to your question: If that plugin uses the spectrum data, there is not much I can do. It's foobar2000 which prepares it. All I could do is to use the 1024 values wide one and shrink it instead of stretching the lower resolution data, but I doubt it will have much impact - as you wrote yourself, the built-in visualisations looks the same, and they are using the data directly and in a perfectly sane way.
And if the plugin computes the spectrum itself from the waveform data, I can't do anything at all. Blame it on Nullsoft.

- FB keys are disabled. I've mapped Ctrl+Left and Right, and a few others, to Next, Prev, volume up etc., but they don't work in Tiny Fullscreen. It's a bit of a shame because not having keyboard control in fullscreen is half the purpose defeated.
I generally have no control over keyboard input in plugins. Or, to be precise, I do in case of plugins running in an embedded window, because they forward the unknown keystrokes to my parent window, but that isn't the case for fullscreen mode and the Tiny Vis.. However, some plugins might also be forwarding the unknown keystrokes to the faked Winamp main window - I don't know if that really happens, but I'll look if it works and include it in the next version if yes.

In some plugins, the classic Winamp controls (ZXCVB for prev., play/pause, stop, next or how it is, arrows for seeking/volume, etc.) seems to work at least, but that is unfortunately not the case of the Tiny FS vis you are using.

Edit: And of course, you can always use foobar2000 global hotkeys everywhere, including fullscreen.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #170
Thanks for the elaborate reply.

When tiny runs in winamp, I have full control over playback, so I'm fairly certain there's some way for Shpeck to pick up the keystrokes and turn them over to the proper authorities.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #171
All right, here is your new version.

Shpeck v0.2.3
<obsolete links removed, see the first post in this thread for information about the latest version>

Changelog:
  • Keyboard shortcuts not processed by plugin are correctly forwarded to the main window now
  • Blank spectrum data are used when they are not available instead of the fake "gradient"
  • Contents of the default Winamp installation directory is scanned automatically on first run
  • Fixed preferences page layout ("Available plugins" listbox border, scrollbars, etc.)
  • Using better method to get icon for "embedded windows"
Edit:[/u] Meh, I just realized that some people might need the new Microsoft's run-time library since I switched to MSVC++ 2008. So, if the component doesn't load at all (messages about side by side assemblies, "unable to load component", foobar2000 asks whether to remove Shpeck's settings, etc.), grab the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #172
cool thx
I needed the msvc++ pkg

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #173
Hm... Does anyone else have problems with visualizations pausing every few seconds? It seems to happen with mine, regardless of resolution.

Hi, you already solved the problem, but since I had long time suffered the exactly same behaviour (small pause at every ~4 seconds), I decided to find what was causing it.

Somehow (at least in my case) this is related to Convolver DSP component and playback thread priority:
If i disable the Convolver component, visualisations run smoothly, but it is no option for me as I really need that component. Then I found that the playback thread priority on fb2k's advanced options can be set to 3 or less and the visualisations run fine again, even if using Convolver. If I set the priority to 4 or more the pausing starts (default priority is 7). Setting the priority low leads to occasional skipping of audio when there are other programs consuming cpu-time, so this isn't the best solution either.

Can Yirkha help on this issue, maybe visualisations' priority can be somehow set higher?
I will report this behaviour on Convolvers thread also, maybe there is something on that plugin causing it. Shpeck-component isn't the only one suffering from this issue as the built-in ones are affected too.

Environment:
2.2GHz Athlon, 512MB RAM, Windows XP SP2, foobar2000 0.9.x, foo_vis_shpeck 0.2.x

Thanks in advance 

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #174
Good work, you identified what's causing the problem - thread priority setting.

Plugin's main thread is intentionally lowered to "one step below normal". It sounded reasonable for me to lower the priority of additional visual eye-candy and leave more responsiveness to user interface, working threads, etc. - after all, it seems that the built-in visualisations are going the same way.

Would a checkbox on Shpeck's preferences page called "
  • Don't lower plugin's thread priority" be satisfactory?