Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar won't Play/Convert OPUS files. (Read 2829 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar won't Play/Convert OPUS files.

Hello everyone.

When trying to convert some Opus files, I found out that Foobar just wouldn't accept any of them.

Source: "C:\Users\user\Music\LEGO\24. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2\Switch\MUSIC_13ATTSTING_CREEPY_01.OPUS"
Unable to open source file: Unsupported format or corrupted file
Conversion failed: Unsupported format or corrupted file

Is there a specific component I need to install for this to work?

Thank you.

Re: Foobar won't Play/Convert OPUS files.

Reply #1
What happens when you just try to PLAY the file?  Same message?  What format are you trying to convert the files into?

If the Opus files are indeed corrupted, opusinfo.exe should tell you that and supply a reason.  It's part of the opus-tools package here:  https://github.com/Chocobo1/opus-tools_win32-build/releases

Download opus-tools.exe and the extract "opusinfo.exe" into the folder with the Opus files.  Open a command window in the folder, and enter:

opusinfo -v "(your filename).opus"

The resulting analysis should point out if/why the file is corrupted.

Reply #2
This is a non-standard .opus file format. You will need VGMStream, and you may possibly need to rename them to .lopus or .vgmstream, since the component no longer takes over the .opus filename extension, due to conflicts that caused it to play files, but not support tagging.

Reply #3
This is a non-standard .opus file format. You will need VGMStream, and you may possibly need to rename them to .lopus or .vgmstream, since the component no longer takes over the .opus filename extension, due to conflicts that caused it to play files, but not support tagging.
How do I go about renaming them? I'm still new to flying foobar2000, so I don't know every nook and cranny yet.

Reply #4
Renaming files is more Windows Explorer job, that foobar's job. Sure, you can do this from foobar, but simply opening directory in Explorer and hitting F2 should be more straightforward. Just remember to unhide file extensions in Explorer. Alternatively you can use Bulk Rename Utility application, which can do serious magic when renaming thousands of files at once - but that's an ultimate solution, if you have hundreds of such files.

Reply #5
Renaming files is more Windows Explorer job, that foobar's job. Sure, you can do this from foobar, but simply opening directory in Explorer and hitting F2 should be more straightforward. Just remember to unhide file extensions in Explorer. Alternatively you can use Bulk Rename Utility application, which can do serious magic when renaming thousands of files at once - but that's an ultimate solution, if you have hundreds of such files.
Works like a dream! I can convert these to MP3 easily now.

Thank you very much.

Reply #6
They're already lossy, so you're converting lossy to lossy, because you want to play on a portable device?