Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: file operations / delete folder (Read 4689 times) previous topic - next topic

file operations / delete folder

hi there

when i right-click i miss the file operation
delete folder (where the mp3 is stored in) in addition to delelte file.

this operation would be quite useful,
because if i just delete the files i have to go to the directory manually to delete it.
would be nice if this could be done whithin fb2k.

Reply #1
Reinstall over your existing installation.
During install go through the available options and set foobar to install File Operations.

terry

Reply #2
@tpijag: The component is installed.

He is asking for a new feature to be added to it, namely the ability to delete folders.

Reply #3
Actually foobar2000 deletes the folder automatically as long as it's empty. So if you delete all the MP3s stored in a folder, the program will ask you if you want to delete the folder as well. But if the folder contains other files (for example, covers) it will remain there and you have to delete it manually.

That said, it would not hurt to have an option to delete an entire folder.

Reply #4
When this is going to be implemented it would be great if it was customizable like you set up a creation of a foldertree with titleformatting.

example:
fileoperations delete:
%album artist%/%album% %date%/files.ext would also delete all the parental folders. %album% %date%/files.ext only the first parental folder

its foldercreation in reverse...

Reply #6
did anyone who is involved in the project read this topic?
or how to contact anyone who is involved?

Reply #7
> or how to contact anyone who is involved?

They read. Be patient. Don't nag.

> When this is going to be implemented it would be great if it was customizable like you set up a creation of a foldertree with titleformatting.

CDex does this for the creation of folders -- add slashes to the titleformatting, it presto: folders.
It's hella handy and I was so pleased when I found it out.

Reply #8

Frank Bicking is involved.

Reply #9

Your suggestion was added to the list of "Feature proposals" some days ago (last entry under "File Operations"), so the developers are considering it.

Reply #10
thanks Lashiec for letting me know!

Re: file operations / delete folder

Reply #11
The guys from foobar apparently did NOT care to do this IMPORTANT  upgrade

because it is totally useless to delete the "files only" because we all have at least the cover art for each album we have so the damn folder is never deleted !!!

Thank you foobar developers......... 7 years later................. nothing is done....

Reply #12
Manually deleting folders is a viable option. I perform all deletions that way; it's quick and confirmation that the folder is gone is immediate.

Reply #13
when i have a delete all files option, i would assume that the remaining files ( pictures obviously..) will not prevent the folder from deleting

usually...when i click delete i want delete

when i have 1200 new albums and i want to select quickly the ones i want to delete....

Foobar lend me to believe falsly that i could do that but i can't , nobody can't

----  >>  an upgrade would have been apreciated, especially 10 years later  << -----

Reply #14
The Delete File(s) operation simply determines if any files remain, without regard to their type(s), and offers to delete a folder only if it's empty. That's all it is programmed to do, any assumptions to the contrary notwithstanding.

I agree that it would be good if the operation would open a dialog offering to delete a folder if only non-music files remain; however, there doesn't appear to be a widespread hue and cry for it. Hence, while it remains in the "feature proposals" list, it is not a high-priority item.

Rather than complain in a thread dormant for seven years, a new post asking nicely if this functionality could be added would have served a better purpose.

Reply #15
A quick way to do this is to right-click "Open containing folder" and delete the folder there in the file manager.

Reply #16
@jaihouse, yes i did a new post like you suggested.

Reply #17
The new 1.3.14 beta version addresses your wishes. It may require configuring file mask for extra files that you allow being deleted along with the directory. By default thumbnail cache and folder setting files the OS may have written won't prevent the directory removal. Also hidden jpeg images that WMP creates are allowed to be deleted. But any user saved extra files will require configuration.

The settings can be found under Preferences -> Advanced -> Tools -> File Operations -> Empty folder detection. Add the appropriate patterns to "Ignore files matching pattern" field. For example if you may have .jpg and .png images and cue sheets in the directories you want to remove remove, use pattern *.jpg;*.png;*.cue.

Reply #18
Thank you very very much that is super nice, and convenient

Reply #19
Hi it's me again
I have tried the new feature "File operation - delete file"
But all this is doing is delete the cue file

Obviously I restrict the library to cue files because otherwise there is a bunch of files that appears without puprpose ( the FLAC files)
So explain me how this is supposed to work then please?

I tought it would have been a "do you want to delete all in the folder + the folder itself" yes/no option
But what is it then?

Reply #20
PLEASE I NEED HELP
Ok I did what the user "CASE" said :
I went to : preference--> advanced-->empty folder detection

1 - At first on "ignore files matching pattern" I wrote:  *.jpg;*.png;*.cue;*.flac;*.wav;*.m3u8;*.mp3;*.tiff;*.txt;*.log

because i wanted to be sure everything will be always deleted when i click on delete (its a delete button obviously i want everything deleted) and leaved the "ignore hidden files matching pattern"  by default

did NOT worked out ( only the cue file is deleted ( as i put in my library to detect only cue files because otherwise foobar recognise every files and everything is all messed up)

2 - i tried to remove everything on both lines patterns  still NOT working

if I want to delete everything when I click delete what should I do please ?
can you believe everyone will have to figure out by themselves all this ?
Can't it be a simple delete everything button?   like in windows ( folder and subfolders and everything that's in them)

Reply #21
Can someone help me please, I still had no answer

I want to know how I can delete all the files in the folder , not only the cue sheet (when using FLAC files)

I have not seem to be able to find the correct option to use in preference settings

Reply #22
It is not doable at the moment. The component protects you against deleting music files that you haven't explicitly selected. Someone would need to convince Peter to change things to work with your usage.

If your cuesheets were embedded in FLAC images the deletion would work without trouble.

If you wish to make your life easier you should consider stopping the use of cuesheets for this purpose and instead store music as one file per track. It works everywhere and there are no unexpected side effects. Cue sheets are meant for CD burning and you will always face problems or limitations by using them as your album describers.

Reply #23
Only Peter has the power to change this?       I'm surprised
the last beta version included a brand new change when deleting files, I asked for this and someone did it
It maybe just need some adjustment?

If I would do the one file per track I would have to alter the torrents
Somebody on this forum told me not to do that

but even if I would , this would mean I would have do this to every albums
as I am searching a way to make things more convenient

as I have many files my goal was to limit the process when listening to something new,   and save a little bit hassle by deleting with a shortcut

changine all files would be a big job