Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Dreaded SV8 Question... (Read 13824 times) previous topic - next topic

The Dreaded SV8 Question...

I realize it's nearly impossible to ask a simple question and get a simple answer here...

But please, try.

I got some stuff I want to encode to MPC, but as SV8 is just in beta now, I'm holding off.

The question:

Approximately how long until the Final version is out?

I mean, are we talking about a few weeks, 5 months, or.. a year...??

...or more?

What's the rough estimate?

Thanks in advance for any (good) replies.

Reply #1
-

Reply #2
I got some stuff I want to encode to MPC, but as SV8 is just in beta now, I'm holding off.

I wouldn't bother holding off, I don't believe any changes have been made in SV8 that affect the quality of the audio and there is a tool to losslessly convert from SV7 to SV8.

Reply #3

I wouldn't bother holding off, I don't believe any changes have been made in SV8 that affect the quality of the audio and there is a tool to losslessly convert from SV7 to SV8.

K, sounds good...

Thanks for the replies. 

Reply #4
-

Reply #5
Currently I've got MPC copies of my collection (transcoded from my lossless archive) in SV7 because AFAIK SV8 still doesn't work in Rockbox. I'll probably switch over as soon as I can play 'em on my Sansa, although truth be told I've neither seen nor heard of any progress on that front since SV8 came out.

Reply #6
-

Reply #7
what impresses me is that, the TODO is quite easy to get done with 3 or 4 developers working little time on it... but not even this...

Actually, there is only one guy working on encoder and one working on decoder AFAIK. Maybe we can count one for DS filter as well, but he is not a part of developer team.
Anyhow, the last compiled beta version is pretty ready for use IMHO. At least I haven't found any problems with it.
However, the biggest problem is that no other programs (taggers, media organizers, media tools etc.) support it. Except Winamp and foobar2000

Reply #8
I've just found this codec-status info about Mplayer. It looks amazing. Maybe we should add it to the list of sv8 capable players. Not tested though.
~

Reply #9
-

Reply #10
Oh please, let's not emulate the whole "KDE 4.0 is not KDE4" fiasco!