Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: About data CD-Rs and folder structure (Read 2334 times) previous topic - next topic

About data CD-Rs and folder structure

Okay, this is a very stupid question. But I've never had an opportunity to test it. I'm going to start archiving my audio files to CD-R (the only option right now.) I want to maintain my folder structure (Artist/Album/Track, etc) on the discs. Will doing this make them in any way OS-dependent? In other words, if I make these on an XP computer, will they have trouble reading on a Vista machine later on?
I think something went wrong and now I own a blind camel.

Reply #1
Is it possible Microsoft would make billions of CD-ROMs unreadable in a new OS version? Perhaps, if they can somehow make enough money by doing so, but that would be extremely huge compared to the current DRM complaints being bandied about. How could they ever prevent second party software from taking up the slack?

Reply #2
There won't be any problem from Windows to Vista.

Food For Though: You WILL have problems from Windows to any sort of Unix based OS if you don't know what you are doing with the File/Folder names. I am fanatic about DJ Tiësto. Unfortunately all my CD rips I made in Windows have ë in the file name, and Ubuntu doesn't recognize the files correctly. So until I find a media player that supports APE images, CUE sheets, and RAR-archived MP3s [just like FooBar2000], or find a language pack to install into wine, I am stuck with my favorite music unplayable with my wine-emulated FB2K.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(