Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Zenith console Locked turntable troubleshooting help (Read 24270 times) previous topic - next topic

Zenith console Locked turntable troubleshooting help

Here's a video illustrating my question: https://youtu.be/Qh5pqC4FG8k

I just bought a Zenith stereophonic turntable console from an estate sale. It work and sounded great--aside from a slight scraping noise that the turntable was making. When I clicked the switch over to "REJ" (reject), the turntable locked and although I hear a motor running the turntable is locked in place and won't turn. Any assistance would be great. I'm curious as to whether I'm not operating correctly, or whether something is broken.

Thanks!

Re: Zenith console Locked turntable troubleshooting help

Reply #1

Here is the link for where I've gotten so far after removing the platter: https://youtu.be/cltisJQzwb0

I removed the platter and examined the underneath. From the little I know of terminology the idler wheel does not seem to be making very good contact against the pulley motor. What I cannot determine is whether it is because the idler wheel is too hard, or whether there is some type of spring or mechanism that is preventing good contact--or maybe the idler wheel is fine, but something else putting up resistance somewhere...
Thanks,
Ben

Reply #2
What I cannot determine is whether it is because the idler wheel is too hard,
That's a common problem but that wouldn't lock-up the platter.    You would be able to manually turn it and (if that were the only problem) it would finish the cycle as you rotated it by hand.

Reply #3

Here is the link for where I've gotten so far after removing the platter: https://youtu.be/cltisJQzwb0

I removed the platter and examined the underneath. From the little I know of terminology the idler wheel does not seem to be making very good contact against the pulley motor. What I cannot determine is whether it is because the idler wheel is too hard, or whether there is some type of spring or mechanism that is preventing good contact--or maybe the idler wheel is fine, but something else putting up resistance somewhere...
Thanks,
Ben

I used to work at a stereo shop where I was the turntable guy because I was part time and none of the full timers wanted to work on turntables. Your problem is almost certainly dried up lubricants on the main cam (about 5 " diameter on the bottom surface of the turntable deck plate). It likely will be fine after a "disassemble, clean and lube". In the mean time DO NOT RUN IT AND DO NOT FORCE IT !  DVDdoug is correct about the idler not being the issue from hardness but the idler may need to be replaced regardless. If you attempt to 'Do It Yourself', see if you can find a service manual on the table. Take LOTS of pictures before you take it apart. There is no such thing as too many pix. EVERYTHING that moves needs cleaning and relubrication. At that age, dribbling oil is not good enough. Parts must be opened and cleaned and THEN new oil. I highly recommend Nye Oil II as you oil which will run you about $13 for a 2 ounce bottle. It's synthetic and will not dry out and gum up. You will not have to do it again for MANY years. Be careful when opening up the motor as putting the coil assembly upside down will run backwards.

Back when I did this regularly I could knock one out in 90 minutes but be prepared to spend 8-16 hours.

Good Luck

Reply #4
Thanks for the great advice! appreciate it! Here's the latest video, FYI:
https://youtu.be/498aJcV-uxw

Reply #6
Thanks all for the advice! I think I'm going to send it out for an overhaul so I can get it done correctly! I'll keep everyone posted!

-Ben

Reply #7
https://youtu.be/fXm7-_MuCNQ

Thanks to Voice of Music ( www.thevoiceofmusic.com ) for putting me in touch with David Z. I sent the turntable to David and he rebuilt and replaced the following parts:

Rebuild complete  Zenith VM A 1293                        95.00             J70
Replace idler 45000                                                   35.00
Rebuild motor  Alliance 75076                                   15.00
Replace 3 motor mounts                                              4.75
Replace A/C switch 45470                                         16.00
Replace "o"  ring to platter                                           2.00
Replace trim ring to platter  43308-C                          8.00
Replace Zenith stylus    LP/78                                   12.50
45 adapter is good    sent
Cartridge zenith "bobber type"   good at this time
Repair reject jammed
Re set- set downs  7 10 12"    good
Arm weight 2 grams
Clean and polish complete
Shipping UPS w/ 200.00 insurance                            27.00
Total                                                                           215.25
Deposit check                                                 -60.00
Balance due                                                              155.25

I think this is more than a fair price and he did an excellent job! It sounds great. I would recommend going in this direction if you are really looking for a long term solution to your turntable issues. Turn around time on this was only a couple weeks. Good luck to all with similar issues.

Reply #9
Thanks!

Reply #10
You're welcome.