Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.6.5 - Album Art Viewer showing wrong cover during track change (Read 5129 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.6.5 - Album Art Viewer showing wrong cover during track change

When changing tracks, under specific circumstances, the wrong album art is shown in the Album Art Viewer element.

Let's say you're changing tracks from one album (A) to another (B). It's possible that when changing from track A -> B, the album art for track Z is shown between A and B while track B is preparing to play.

Little tricky to reproduce but I'll try my best to describe what settings I think cause this issue.
  • Cursor follows playback
  • Preferences -> Display -> Prefer current selection

Assume you have the following elements displayed:
  • Album List
  • Album Art Viewer
  • Playlist View (with Library Viewer Selection playlist)

Assign a global hotkey to Playback -> Random.
In the Library Viewer Selection playlist, double click on a random track (track A) to start playing it. The album art for that track should appear in the Album Art Viewer since that track is selected.
Single click a different track (track B) in the Library Viewer Selection playlist so that the Album Art Viewer shows its artwork.
Make foobar2000 lose focus, such as by clicking on another window or the taskbar. The artwork for track A should now show.
Press the global hotkey for Playback -> Random.
Before the next random track (track C) starts playing, the artwork for track B shows momentarily before the artwork for track C shows.

This basically causes foobar2000 to have to decode/resize artwork for an additional track that it thinks is selected, making the UI a little less responsive.

Re: foobar2000 v1.6.5 - Album Art Viewer showing wrong cover during track change

Reply #1
Can confirm, I was able to re-produce this behavior. I am using foobar2000 on win 10 x64 (20H2)

Re: foobar2000 v1.6.5 - Album Art Viewer showing wrong cover during track change

Reply #2
Fixed in 1.6.6 beta 2 as well.

Reply #3
The issue seems to be not completely fixed with version 1.6.6.

As soon as consecutive tracks have the same "Artist" or "Album Artist", only the embedded album art of the first track is displayed, the album arts of the following tracks are ignored.

If a track by a different artist follows at some point, the album art will be updated again and displayed correctly.

I hope this can be fixed. Thanks a lot!

Reply #4
It's still the issue in foobar2000 v1.6.7 beta 5

Reply #5
Gonna make a quick guess that the album art caching system only stores images per album/artist, and doesn't support fancy things like each track of an album having its own unique artwork.

Reply #6
You're right, it's probably also still related to a common "Album Title". However, it had worked for years so far and only the new version has broken the display of individual covers. Therefore it is a bug for me.

I have tracks with an album title such as "Party Mix 20xx" and with these the new error now unfortunately occurs.

I don't think it's particularly fancy for a player to pay attention to individual covers and tags. Just my opinion.

@TuNk77: Thanks for confirming and checking the beta.

Reply #7
I have a similar problem but it worked before. I tried older versions and to me it looks the problem actually started with verion 1.65.

Reply #8
Thank you for the confirmation. Correct, as far as I can remember the issue started with version 1.6.5.

Reply #9
Unfortunately, the issue was not fixed even in the new final version 1.6.7. :(

Reply #10
It seems problem is fixed in 1.6.8

Reply #11
It seems problem is fixed in 1.6.8
I also noticed that the behavior of the Album Art Viewer has changed, for example for the URL of the playlist items.
But for local files like mp3, the behavior hasn't changed. It is the same as mentioned here: Reply #5
When moving to the next file, the cover changes if the next file has a different album name or a different artist name, this is typical for "Front Cover".
However, this is not the case for "Back Cover" and seems to work as expected here.
I am attaching the video to demonstrate what was said.

Reply #12
I tested it with local files. For both FLAC and mp3 fb2k 1.6.8 beta 6 is showing correct embedded picture (front in my case) in properties and picture is changed in album art viewer UI element when track is changed even if tracks have the same %album% and %artist%.

I tested it with properly tagged tracks. In your video all 3 tracks have no tags at all except picture when picture is not changed. To have the same %album% and %artist% tags and to have no tags at all is not the same.

Reply #13
when track is changed

This scenario works if foobar2000 is not playing. It does not work when playing or pressing next/previous.

The even numbered tracks in this selection with identical artist/album tags have a silly image...

Reply #14
It work for me when playing. And with pressing next/previous it works too.
https://youtu.be/meZz1Mnhkhc

Reply #15
Rollin,
could you check for those mp3 files?

Reply #16
could you check for those mp3 files?
It doesn't work. But these files have no tags except picture.

Reply #17
I agree.
It's all about the "Track Title" tag. If it is not empty then it works as expected.
I think the question is closed, if there is no other point of view.

Reply #18
But still this behavior is not exactly as in 1.6.4. In 1.6.4 correct picture is displayed even for files with no tags.

Reply #19
Still does not work correctly in my opinion, unfortunately (v1.6.8b6).

I tagged the 3 files from Sergey77 with only 3 tags: each with the same "Album Title" (ALBUM) and "Artist Name" (ARTIST), as well as different "Track Title" (TITLE). But the album art does not change! This happens only when the files get different "Album Title" (or "Artist Name").

Why can't foobar2000 just basically read the album art every time a track changes? What should be the big advantage of the current variant?

Many thanks to all who also test and help here.

Reply #20
From version 1.6.6 up to the current version 1.6.9 there is still a cover art bug.
- For example: Many single tracks in one folder, Foobar Playlist used.
- When clicking on individual titles, only the cover photos of files that also have metadata such as titles etc. are updated.
- No update of the cover photos for files without metadata
- Exception: Jump from/to files with metadata
- In 1.6.6 something was apparently changed with the cover display
- Solution:  Bugfix, so that the cover photos are reloaded every time the title is changed, as before version 1.6.6

Reply #21
So it looks like either this bug or this one is back because I just had an instance with 1.6.9 where having the track that's currently playing highlighted in the playlist caused the album art (external JPG in the folder) to simply not show.

Highlighting (but not playing) another track from the same album caused the art to re-appear, but once again highlighting the now-playing track caused the album art viewer to incorrectly show "[no image]".

I stopped playback of the current track and started it again and voila, album art appeared. Haven't been able to reproduce since, strangely.

While we're at it, another bug with the following prerequisites (at least that's what I use):
  • Preferences -> Display -> 'Prefer current selection'
  • Preferences -> Advanced -> Display -> Album art -> Embedded vs external -> 'Prefer external'
  • Assign a hotkey to next/previous track so that you can press it without changing focus using the mouse

Steps:
  • Play a track in the currently selected playlist
  • Press Ctrl+F (I think that's the default) to open the Media Library Search window
  • Press the next/previous track hotkey until you're playing a track in a different album, such that the album art should change

The album art doesn't change. I believe in this situation it should change. I say that because if you do the following steps, it does change:
  • Play a track in the currently selected playlist
  • Press Ctrl+F (I think that's the default) to open the Media Library Search window
  • Click in the white space of the Media Library Search window where the search results normally are (below the search bar/columns)
  • Press the next/previous track hotkey until you're playing a track in a different album, such that the album art should change

The only difference is the click. Visually, the playlist behind the Media Library Search window looks no different between the two methods. In both instances, the current selection (which is what the preferences are set to) hasn't changed as far as I'm concerned.