Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1359003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_discogs

Reply #2750
Update:  Yes it is necessary to have a Discogs account for this plugin to work properly

Reply #2751
Sounds like you're looking at a CD. When you tag it in foobar it saves the metadata to foobar's database. There's no central metadata database for Windows - it's reading those values from the CD-TEXT or showing you default values if the CD was mastered without any metadata.
If you rip the CD, the tags will be read correctly from the files in Windows explorer and everywhere else.

Reply #2752
Hello, I'm using this excellent plugin on a regular basis with good results but I have some small grievances.

1. Everytime I tag a release via this component it overwrites my carefully manually tagged genres with the generical genres from Discogs. This is especially annoying when substituting "Progressive Rock" with "Rock", "Folk" with "Folk, Country & World" etc. In the plugin configuration I have already set it to not "Remove any pre-existing tags" but that's obviously not enough.

2. The plugin writes disc information even for media that doesn't have multiple discs, like digital media. An option to only write disc information for multiple discs would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Reply #2753
for 1:
I re-route the discogs genre value to its' own field (you can do this with any, adjstting the foo_discogs templates/"edit mappings"...). i.e. I generate "discogs_genre" metadata field so it doesn't overwrite my 'genre' field I've set by hand, but are still accessible if I want to.
for 2:
you can construct IF queries into your tagging scripts inside of foo_discogs, see:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Title_Formatting_Reference

Hope this helps.
c.

Reply #2754
After locating the correct album release from Discogs a lot of metadata is written/updated which is great.  However the "Track Name" of the track is not. I believe this is the actual file name. The "Title" of the track is updated but not the "Track Name"/File Name as it appears in the file tree in Foobar2K and as it appears in the file tree on windows 10.  The "Track Name"/File Name appears as "01 Track1", after clicking on "01 Track 1" in the Foobar2K file tree the "Track Title" in the metadata appears as "Phonograph Blues".  Is there a way to get the "Track Name"/File Name as displayed in the file tree to be updated?  I looked at the Discogs tag mappings and there is not an option for File Name.
foo_discogs does not rename files, but there is a built in plugin "file operations" which can be used to bulk rename based on tags. Alternatively, you may be able to configure your UI plugin to use tags instead of file names. I don't use the file tree so not sure about that one in specific.

Reply #2755
Hello, I'm using this excellent plugin on a regular basis with good results but I have some small grievances.

1. Everytime I tag a release via this component it overwrites my carefully manually tagged genres with the generical genres from Discogs. This is especially annoying when substituting "Progressive Rock" with "Rock", "Folk" with "Folk, Country & World" etc. In the plugin configuration I have already set it to not "Remove any pre-existing tags" but that's obviously not enough.

2. The plugin writes disc information even for media that doesn't have multiple discs, like digital media. An option to only write disc information for multiple discs would be nice.

Thanks in advance!
Both can be solved by editing the tag formatting strings in your foo_discogs configuration.
1. Something like only update style if it's not already set, or merge the update with what's already set.
2. Check if multiple discs, if not leave that tag blank.
See the "syntax help" page in the foo_discogs tag mappings config dialog.

Reply #2756
Yeah thanks, but that is way over my head. Just looking at that monster of mathematical expression makes my eyes water. I'll just keep correcting manually. Sorry, was looking at the track formatting string. Editing tag mappings now... :-)

Reply #2757
I need some help with these:

1. Want to join RELEASE_GENRES with existing GENRE
Code: [Select]
$join($append(%<RELEASE_GENRES>%,$if(%GENRE%,%GENRE%)))
makes the values comma separated. To make them multi-value, I still have to "Split values". Also, would generate something like "Classical, Classical" instead of merging the two matching names.

2. Want to replace "Prog Rock" with "Progressive Rock" in Styles
$join($multi_replace(%<RELEASE_STYLES>%,'Prog Rock','Progressive Rock'),%<RELEASE_STYLES>%)
doesn't quite work...

Reply #2758
1. Want to join RELEASE_GENRES with existing GENRE
$join($append(%<RELEASE_GENRES>%,$if(%GENRE%,%GENRE%)))
makes the values comma separated. To make them multi-value, I still have to "Split values". Also, would generate something like "Classical, Classical" instead of merging the two matching names.

Check out the Syntax help link from the tag mapping configuration.
$array() should turn a comma-separated list into an array. edit: but you're using $join() to turn an existing array into a string. If you want a multi-value field, shouldn't you leave it as an array?

On the array, you can use $unique() to get rid of duplicates.

Reply #2759
What? No entiendo... I'd appreciate a code solution, I already looked through the help page.

Reply #2760
Hello,

today I entered "100%100TKA" in Artists Search Field and I got this error:

(FATAL) Error: Authorization Failed (401) [Is OAuth working?](url: https://api.discogs.com/database/search)

[ESCAPE to close]

At the same time, other artists work fine, I tried several others (i.e. Madonna), not in the cache,
so I guess, the artist string breaks the search :-]

Tested with f2k 1.5b12 and component version 2.20

Reply #2761
Hi,

I'm getting too less results from the search of the fine component and I'm not sure why:

When searching the DiscoGS site via https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=Franck+Pourcel+Et+Son+Grand+Orchestre&type=artist
I get all releases of Franck Pourcel Et Son Grand Orchestre

Then, searching the Discography for "Une Belle Histoire", I get 5 LPs from the Master Release Page => https://www.discogs.com/Franck-Pourcel-E-La-Sua-Grande-Orchestra-Une-Belle-Histoire-UnOrchestra-Nella-Sera-N-21/master/939071
(Screenshot: une belle histoire master release.png)

Thats fine, because I'm looking for a special Version of "Une Belle Histoire".

Now, using the fine components search, I only get singles (7") as a result: (Screenshot: "only singles as a result.png")

I'm not 100% sure, I used the correct API call to show you the output, but please, have a look:
https://api.discogs.com/database/search?oauth_consumer_key=kQFLKuHXrEsVfZTDvOdz&oauth_nonce=156854656929&oauth_signature=<YOUR_oauth_signature_here>%3D&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&oauth_timestamp=1568546569&oauth_token=<YOUR_oauth_token_here>&oauth_version=1.0&per_page=100&q=Franck%20Pourcel%20Et%20Son%20Grand%20Orchestre&type=artist
(I catched this from the f2k console log)

This is the JSON output (Screenshot: JSON output.png)
It tells something about "Invalid object" for "master_url":
{"pagination": {"per_page": 100, "pages": 1, "page": 1, "urls": {}, "items": 3}, "results": [{"thumb": "https://img.discogs.com/_cXZ5aYga-dxfAbshl3CKc80Dg4=/150x150/smart/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/A-443337-1538615737-6882.jpeg.jpg", "title": "Franck Pourcel Et Son Grand Orchestre", "user_data": {"in_collection": false, "in_wantlist": false}, "master_url": null, "uri": "/artist/443337-Franck-Pourcel-Et-Son-Grand-Orchestre", "cover_image": "https://img.discogs.com/LJi6K8oeukCFrtiQL2_uJka_iCc=/600x830/smart/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/A-443337-1538615737-6882.jpeg.jpg", "resource_url": "https://api.discogs.com/artists/443337", "master_id": null, "type": "artist", "id": 443337}, {"thumb": "", "title": "Franck Pourcel And His French Strings", "user_data": {"in_collection": false, "in_wantlist": false}, "master_url": null, "uri": "/artist/920722-Franck-Pourcel-And-His-French-Strings", "cover_image": "https://img.discogs.com/590af34984117956bc045947e853efe852d39c92/images/spacer.gif", "resource_url": "https://api.discogs.com/artists/920722", "master_id": null, "type": "artist", "id": 920722}, {"thumb": "https://img.discogs.com/6VTuAYzWCg8FgUhVaiNGC0cJ3Ks=/150x150/smart/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/A-322090-1458156191-5622.jpeg.jpg", "title": "Raymond Lef\u00e8vre", "user_data": {"in_collection": false, "in_wantlist": false}, "master_url": null, "uri": "/artist/322090-Raymond-Lef\u00e8vre", "cover_image": "https://img.discogs.com/WjK8sclYjhk0JfCof66hAZb4yds=/415x490/smart/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/A-322090-1458156191-5622.jpeg.jpg", "resource_url": "https://api.discogs.com/artists/322090", "master_id": null, "type": "artist", "id": 322090}]}

Anybody an Idea on how to solve this, so the fine component shows ALL results (master release and LPs) ?

Thank you.

Reply #2762
Anybody an Idea on how to solve this, so the fine component shows ALL results (master release and LPs) ?

Thank you.
Your example seems to be working correctly for me. Perhaps something changed on the Discogs side.

Reply #2763
Your example seems to be working correctly for me. Perhaps something changed on the Discogs side.
Thank you for testing. Strange....I don't know if something changed on the discogs side, because their API give and gave the correct result.
I just wasn't shown in the releases tab of the fine component.

I tested this again (new virtual machine, new f2k1.5b15) and on a fresh start of f2k  (empty cache of the component) it worked as it should.
After a hard working day (say 5 hours of doing stuff with f2k and tagging with your component), it did not work as expected anymore.

So there is a kind of "workaround" with restarting f2k, but that eliminates all the cache, which took so many time to load (escpecially, when dealing with artist which have a looooooooong list of releases, i.e. >30 releases) 

I guess its the same strange phenomen in the component like here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=50523.msg967983#msg967983 (you clearly see it in the animated gif)

The component swallows some information retrieved from the cache under some unclear circumstances :-)

Reply #2764
Thank you for testing. Strange....I don't know if something changed on the discogs side, because their API give and gave the correct result.

I tested this again (new virtual machine, new f2k1.5b15) and on a fresh start of f2k  (empty cache of the component) it worked as it should.
After a hard working day (say 5 hours of doing stuff with f2k and tagging with your component), it did not work as expected anymore.

So there is a kind of "workaround" with restarting f2k, but that eliminates all the cache, which took so many time to load (escpecially, when dealing with artist which have a looooooooong list of releases, i.e. >30 releases) 

I guess its the same strange phenomen in the component like here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=50523.msg967983#msg967983 (you clearly see it in the animated gif)

The component swallows some information retrieved from the cache under some unclear circumstances :-)
Working fine for me, first time ever installing it.

Reply #2765
@fuffi It may also depend on which OS you're running foobar2000 on. I can't guess what you're running from your user agent, because that's kind of prying, and the two user agents I have seen from you don't agree completely.

Windows virtual machine? Which Windows? It may be a case of legacy Windows versions not being tested properly, if you're using the long out of support XP. It almost makes me wonder why Peter and I continue to build with the XP supporting toolchains, when at least I don't actually bother to do any testing to see if anything actually blows up there, and I don't know what Peter does for old OS testing, other than maybe doing some targeted testing when someone points out a bug.

Of course, this discogs issue is a different developer entirely, I don't know if they build for XP, or if that is even applicable in this case.

Reply #2766

If it worked the first time, then it should continue to display the same result while the info is in the foo_discogs cache (unless there's a bug in foo_discogs). Not working 5 hours later suggests to me that some or all of the info was probably kicked out of the foo_discogs cache by then and so it was reloaded from the Discogs API. The Discogs API could have returned something different at that point, or there could be a bug in foo_discogs (ie. maybe something goes wrong if part of the data is cached while another part is reloaded).

It's always hard to investigate a bug that can't be reliably reproduced. This seems to happen rarely so perhaps it's not worth putting much effort into. I played around a little with a small cache size in foo_discogs, but wasn't able to trigger it.

As for that other one about the country being displayed in the find release dialog, I suspect that one is probably related to the Discogs API search endpoint sometimes returning country and sometimes not (at least that's how it used to be). The release endpoint, which is loaded after you press "Next>>", always returns country. So when the results are repopulated when you go back and change the filter, the new information is reflected there.

Testing for foo_discogs is minimal. I use it for tagging my personal collection so that constitutes most of the testing aside from problems reported by other users. My configuration and workflow don't cover all possible ones that others might use. I've never used foo_discogs on XP or anything other than Windows 7. foo_discogs shouldn't care about the OS, but it is possible that Discogs API could behave differently.

Reply #2767
I'm having trouble tagging this box set :

Paul Weller - Hit Parade

I keep getting this message:

"(FATAL) Error: Error loading release 1560471: JSON Parser ExceptionError parsing release credits."

Is there anything I can do to get past this?

Reply #2768
The problem is likely that the ranges given for Paul Weller as Written-By span discs. 1-16 to 2-6 and 2-16 to 3-1 are probably not situations that the parser has come across!

You could separate out the credit ranges per disc on there, or maybe @zoomorph thinks this is an edge case worthy of an update...

Reply #2769
The problem is likely that the ranges given for Paul Weller as Written-By span discs. 1-16 to 2-6 and 2-16 to 3-1 are probably not situations that the parser has come across!

You could separate out the credit ranges per disc on there, or maybe @zoomorph thinks this is an edge case worthy of an update...

Hi frogworth,

Thanks for replying to my problem so quickly.

You suggest that "You could separate out the credit ranges per disc", how would I go about this?

I'd like to give it a try if possible, if not I'll wait and see if @zoomorph can suggest an alternative.

Appreciate the help.

Reply #2770
You suggest that "You could separate out the credit ranges per disc", how would I go about this?

I'd like to give it a try if possible, if not I'll wait and see if @zoomorph can suggest an alternative.

Hi @hoopsa65,
I mean that you could edit the release on Discogs, and carefully change the credit.
Instead of:
1-16 to 2-6
write:
1-16 to 1-21, 2-1 to 2-6
and instead of:
2-16 to 3-1
write:
2-16 to 2-18, 3-1 to 3-15

Actually, now that I look at it, it's quite possibly not the ranges spanning discs.
It's more likely this:
2-16 to 3-1 to 3-15
That makes no sense. You could try simply removing "to 3-1" so it reads:
2-16 to 3-15

If you have not edited many Discogs entries in the past, your changes will probably be held until somebody approves them, so you may not be able to do it immediately.

Reply #2771
@hoopsa65 I've gone and changed that one credit with the two ranges.
It's now got 2-16 to 3-15. See if that works better!

Reply #2773
Still the same message appearing, should I give it some time or are the changes you made instant?
I think the changes should be immediate.

It could still be because of the ranges that start on one disc and finish on the next.
I'm reluctant to change that on Discogs, as there's no strong reason to do so.

I suggest we wait for @zoomorph to take a look.

Reply #2774
Still the same message appearing, should I give it some time or are the changes you made instant?
I think the changes should be immediate.

It could still be because of the ranges that start on one disc and finish on the next.
I'm reluctant to change that on Discogs, as there's no strong reason to do so.

I suggest we wait for @zoomorph to take a look.

Thanks frogworth, really appreciate the help.

Let's see if zoomorph can come up with something.