Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Split WAV By CUE Sheet --> "Append File..." gives shorter files (Read 4460 times) previous topic - next topic

Split WAV By CUE Sheet --> "Append File..." gives shorter files

I have a large WAV file that I'm trying to split into separate tracks. The original file has a 2sec "gap" of silence at the beginning. I have tried a number of different methods, but all of them are producing the same strange result: when I re-append all the files back together, the new track is always 0:00:00.008 shorter than the original untouched WAV file.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Indexing the gap with:
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:02:00
    Then splitting by "Individual Indices".

• Indexing the gap as "track 1", with INDEX 01 00:00:00
    and the first track as "track 2" with INDEX 01 00:02:00
    And then splitting "With Gaps", "With Gaps Corrected", and "Leave Out Gaps". All three produce the same result.

• I've tried splitting only the gap off, making only two new files. Again, when I append them back together, I am off by the same amount of time.

• I've even tried leaving the gap attached to the first song and abandoning the idea entirely. However, when I split the rest of the album up I still get the same time error, 0:00:00.008 shorter.

Every single method I've listed above produces identical results, each with matching Checksums. It's just that these files are all slightly shorter than the original unaltered WAV file.

This is not my first time manipulating CUE sheets to split files. I have frequently split individual tracks to extract "hidden files" from the end of songs. However, this is the first time I've been unable to produce bit-for-bit perfect results. I've never had troubles with the Append File operation before, so I'm not sure what has changed now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Split WAV By CUE Sheet --> "Append File..." gives shorter files

Reply #1
a) what program do you use
b) what's the length of the original wav file (and also its samplerate?)

Reply #2
Does your original WAV end on a frame boundary? In other words, do you get a whole number when you divide the total number of samples by 588?
korth

Reply #3
a) what program do you use
b) what's the length of the original wav file (and also its samplerate?)
a) I'm using EAC to splice and append. Sorry, I thought that was clear by the context.
b) The WAV files is 20:17.928 according to Adobe Audition

Does your original WAV end on a frame boundary? In other words, do you get a whole number when you divide the total number of samples by 588?
What's the best way to check the total number of samples?

EDIT: I think I found out how in Adobe Audition. It says the total number of samples is 53710666.

Reply #4
Was the cue file created using the same source (CD) material as the wav file?  Looks like your wav file has a few extra samples in there...
JXL

Reply #5
Was the cue file created using the same source (CD) material as the wav file?  Looks like your wav file has a few extra samples in there...
JXL
The WAV file comes from a Bandcamp download. It was released as a cassette and digital DL, and the artist decided to only make it available as a single file. He provides time markings for the individual tracks though, and so I wanted to try making a CUE sheet (from scratch) to split up the file.

If it matters at all, you can find all the info and DL for free here: https://miloraps.bandcamp.com/album/boyle-and-piles-ep

Reply #6
What's the best way to check the total number of samples?

EDIT: I think I found out how in Adobe Audition. It says the total number of samples is 53710666.
Audition will work.
53710666 / 588 = 91344.67006802721 (not a whole number)

I've even tried leaving the gap attached to the first song and abandoning the idea entirely. However, when I split the rest of the album up I still get the same time error, 0:00:00.008 shorter.
I think you'll find this WAV to be 53710272 samples.

The Split WAV By CUE Sheet tool in EAC is dropping the extra samples in the last track back to the previous frame boundary.
korth

Reply #7
Oh... I see.  The source is not a CD.  EAC is simply ditching the extra samples in your wav file to make the resulting files CD compliant.
JXL

Reply #8

The Split WAV By CUE Sheet tool in EAC is dropping the extra samples in the last track back to the previous frame boundary.

I've never had an issue with EAC like this before, as I've said. I've always been able to write a CUE sheet by hand (to split up a hidden track) and it always appends back together perfectly. Is this because the original file wasn't generated on a CD? Is there some other tool (besides EAC) that I can do this with?

Also, no matter where I split the WAV files, nor however many tracks I split it into, the "glued together" versions were all identical. Does this mean EAC is always trimming the remainder samples from either the absolute-end, or absolute-beginning?

Reply #9
Oh... I see.  The source is not a CD.  EAC is simply ditching the extra samples in your wav file to make the resulting files CD compliant.
JXL
So what would happen, theoretically, if I burned this single WAV file to a CD, then re-ripped it, and tried to split the re-ripped WAV?

Reply #10
Most burning software will pad the file with null samples to the next boundary. So your original 53710666 sample WAV would be 53710860 samples on the CD.
korth

Reply #11
I just checked and you are totally right. Any idea where the extra samples are being dropped from? The beginning or the end?

Reply #12
The tool drops extra samples beyond the last complete frame.
Is there some other tool (besides EAC) that I can do this with?
CUETools (will pad null samples (to the end) up to the next frame boundary).
(Files must be 16-bit, 44.1kHz samples, stereo)
korth