Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where to locate Components on my computer (Read 3869 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to locate Components on my computer

The Foobar installation guide I am using says to download Foobar to an easily locatable folder.  Should this be a 'system' file or can it be anywhere.  Will I be able to download add-ons to the same folder?  Sorry if this is a stupid question but just starting with Foobar
Mitch

Re: Where to locate Components on my computer

Reply #1
Not sure which question you are asking. Let me assume you use an ordinary install (not portable).

The downloaded install file could be in your usual download folder, just like any other thing you download and want to find. The installation does not depend on where you downloaded to. Same with components.

Sure you didn't mean to ask about where to install it? Using what the program suggests, will be just fine for most of us.

Reply #2
Many thanks - may be you are right and where to install them is what I do mean.  The instructions (Foobar for dummies) asks me to press 'install' to download the component - when I do I get a file explorer page of my file structure with a blank 'file name' panel at the bottom - is this so that I can navigate to a particular folder?  I do not seem to be able to do anything with this page.  When I delete it and press 'OK' the component is in my foobar component page and by restarting foobar the component seems to function - but where is the component stored on my computer? I cannot find it - it is not with the components from the original download which are in the Programme Files (x86) Foobar folder under components - the new plug-ins have gone somewhere else?  I know to an expert this may sound either simplistic or daft but I have struggled with this.
Thanks,  Mitch

Reply #3
when I do I get a file explorer page of my file structure with a blank 'file name' panel at the bottom - is this so that I can navigate to a particular folder? 

Yes. You need (well, see next "But") to find the file you downloaded. Typically, if you look in the left margin, you will find a folder called Downloads, which is the default choice for download folder.  Have a look at what you have in there.

But, if you want a component from the official component repository, https://www.foobar2000.org/components , then you can do as follows:
* You find the component page in your web browser. Say, https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_queuecontentsRight-click "Download" and choose to copy the link ("Copy link address" in Chrome, "Copy shortcut" in IE).
* In foobar2000's components page, click the Install button. It opens the file selector, as you have already seen.
* In the "File name" field, paste from clipboard (Ctrl-v or right-click->Paste). Hit "Open" or Enter.

After a minor delay (for it to download), it will be done.

If you don't get it from the official repository, it will still work, provided there is a link to the .fb2k-component file itself - I know that some authors deliver it packed in a .7z archive, and then you have to both download it as in the first recipe, and also unpack it (edit: that is not particular to fb2k - also, some standalone applications are downloaded that way. Many of us already have https://www.7-zip.org/ installed for that purpose, and you might need it sooner or later anyway.)

Reply #4
[...] where is the component stored on my computer? I cannot find it - it is not with the components from the original download which are in the Programme Files (x86) Foobar folder under components - the new plug-ins have gone somewhere else?.
Thanks,  Mitch
Hi there,

The 'components' folder is for default foobar. Third-party user components (mods) go in the 'user-components' folder.

In a standard installation they are problably in your personal folder -
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\

(Or thereabouts)

In a portable installation everything goes in the install folder -
Code: [Select]
%installpath%\foobar2000\

(Use a portable install if you want to easily copy your foobar setup between computers. It is independent of the operating system so no file associations, however)

Cheers 8)

Reply #5
Thanks Guys,

I will have another try now.  This has not stopped me using Foobar, but I find it really annoying when I do not understand what is going on.  I am sure I will need that understanding before I can make best use of the program.

Mitch