Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Switching between playlists (Read 3215 times) previous topic - next topic

Switching between playlists

Being utterly thick here...

How do I switch between playlists - I can't get it to just stop playing a track, select a different playlist and start playing that one instead, since it simply restarts the last selected track from the previous playlist.

Help!

Reply #1
The "playing playlist" and "active playlist" are separate.
Double-click the new track, or choose the Play command from its context menu.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
The "playing playlist" and "active playlist" are separate.
Double-click the new track, or choose the Play command from its context menu.

I get that, but if I want to switch playlists - from 'All Music' to another for instance - I activate from the playlists selection screen but, the playing playlist is unaffected. 
If I stop the currently playing track and switch the active list it gets ignored too.

To clarify, I tend to listen to the all music list on shuffle, but for a single album I'll use default.

If I understand you right, I have to explicitly play a track to start the playlist off?

Reply #3
From my experience: yes, and I don't like it too, actually.

There is a workaround though. It's not ideal, and I don't use it, but it might be helpful for you:

EDITTTTTT!!!! ERRROR: 1. Get foo_playlist_attributes. (WAS foo_softplaylist)
2. open preferences > tools > playlist attributes
3. Select playlist "all music"
4. Set both "bookmark last played position" and "playback on active playlist"

So for example if you play track from "all music" playlist, then choose track from another one, and you want to go back to "all music" exactly where you were, select "all music" and press play.

Reply #4
I get that, but if I want to switch playlists - from 'All Music' to another for instance - I activate from the playlists selection screen but, the playing playlist is unaffected.

All playlists in fb2k are potentially "playing playlists"; they don't get their contents sent somewhere else to play.

This is different than, say Winamp, because Winamp was designed to only have a single active playlist loaded at a time, and then multiple playlist functionality was added on later, when the Media Library was added. On the other hand, foobar2000 was designed to handle multiple playlists from the (near) beginning, so handling them is quite a bit less obfuscated.

If you enable playlist tabs, it becomes quite a bit less cumbersome to use more than one playlist.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5
Yeah, I know what you mean (ie. no "now playing playlist" bullshit), and this behaviour is desirable . But thats not the point.
There should be some kind of bookmark, which would mark last played track on each playlist, so you could easly go back even if you decided to play track from different playlist for a while.

Reply #6
What does that have to do with oldgoat's topic?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #7
Hello shakey_snake,

probably you misunderstood xezzy: if i undersand correctly he is not talking abot the "now playing playlist stuff" but about the feature of playlist_attributes to override foobar2000s default behaviour that play-button is related to last playing playlist instead of active one.

However i don't know why xezzy is talking about a workaround: foo_playlist_attributes (wich was never foo_softplaylists! ) lets you even define these options globally and not only for one playlist.

Reply #8
That with softplaylist was a typo...  I edited that before you wrote your reply, but apparently not fast enough

And damn me, youre right, its not workaround, it actually works o.0 I thought that this makes active playlist as "play next song from active playlist" (so if one track ends, next track will be from active playlist). But its not...

Anyway... foo_playlist_attributes is a good solution ^^
Sorry for the mix up 

Reply #9
Still no clearer on this, as I haven't used Winamp for a few years, since their CD info lookup died, and as FB blows the competition out of the water anyway......

Sorry, back on topic....  No, I don't quite get the bit about the multiple playlists. I use three tabs in the playlists element, one is the list of playlists that I use. I generally use the all music one in shuffle mode, but occasioanlly fancy listening to one album, and so dump on album into another playlist.
I can live happily with stopping playback and switching to another playlist and starting that from the top, even if that's a little counter-intuative, but switching back to a shuffle play list and having to randomly pick a track to start with kind of misses the point a bit.

I'm going to try the bookmark idea, and see if it at least helps.

Reply #10
Have you tried to use the playback queue? Just add the first track of the next playlist you want to be played to it (by using the context menu and selecting the command 'Add to playback queue').