Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: microphony and DAC/filters/crossovers... (Read 1613 times) previous topic - next topic

microphony and DAC/filters/crossovers...

hi,

does putting the DAC's, filters and digital crossovers in a 'oofing great speaker like the Linn Exakt 350 run the risk of microphony from the drive units

affecting these components?

thanks

phil

Reply #1
does putting the DAC's, filters and digital crossovers in a 'oofing great speaker like the Linn Exakt 350 run the risk of microphony from the drive units

affecting these components?

In theory yes. Solid state equipment is far more resistant to microphonic effects but at some sub microscopic level, they are there.

In the old days of tubes, audible microphonic effects were far more common.  I've seen tubed PA equipment that was so monophonic that it caused feedback just like an open mic.

In modern times I've measured the microphonic properties of some ordinary-looking vinyl jacketed audio cable. It took a fairly loud noise, and the effects were down close to a SOTA noise floor, but they were measurable.

In practice, microphonics in SS electronics is rarely if ever audible.

Reply #2
Certain caps can show microphonic effects.
"I hear it when I see it."