Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to Convert to WMA Using foobar2000 in Win7 64-bit (Read 17764 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Convert to WMA Using foobar2000 in Win7 64-bit

I've recently built a new PC with Win7 64-bit.  Have installed foobar2000 V1.0b3.  I'd like to be able to convert FLAC files to WMA format.  Can someone confirm/correct the steps to accomplish this listed below?

1. Find Windows Media Encoder 9: is this the latest version of the encoder?

2. Should I install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the encoder?

3. I understand about configuring the commandline encoder in fb2k as I've had this working on an older 32-bit WinXP machine, but there appears to be some wrinkle about 32-bit vs. 64-bit that means my old commandline won't work.  Can someone explain which files need to be copied to the fb2k folder and how the commandline should then be structured?

4. Do tags convert over properly?

Thanks.

Reply #1
I'd recommend using dBpoweramp and it's broad codec support - totally free, if you don't need MP3 encoding.

Reply #2
@grommet: Thanks for the suggestion but I've been using fb2k forever and would like to stick with it for now.

I installed the 64-bit version of Windows Media Encoder 9.  Copied the cscript.exe file from \windows\system32 to foobar directory.  Used the following settings:

Encoder: C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\cscript.exe
File extension: wma
Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" //NoLogo -silent -input %s -output %d -profile a128

All seems to work very well.

Reply #3
Encoder: C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\cscript.exe
File extension: wma
Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" //NoLogo -silent -input %s -output %d -profile a128

Thanks mate works for me, I was trying to change the parameters for Q90 but line from your config seems a bit differ.
I have changed "-profile a128" to "-a_setting Q98_44_2" from this thread
Now my parameters line looks like:
Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" //NoLogo -silent -input %s -output %d -a_setting Q98_44_2

- it works but I'm not sure is it wrong or wright syntax ... any suggestions?

mmm...
I'm asuming you are using WMA for mobile phone from docomo or soft-bank, am I right?
If by chance it is so, could you please also suggest software for song transfer to phone? (Mine has no MTP mode : (((curently I'm using m-sync but it doesn't work proper) Sorry for offtop, PM me please if there are any

Reply #4
- it works but I'm not sure is it wrong or wright syntax ... any suggestions?

When you specify a WME preset "profile" it includes instructions for what codec and encoding mode are to be used.  Your full custom parameters should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" //NoLogo -silent -input %s -output %d -a_codec WMA9STD -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q98_44_2

WMA9STD is the default codec so you can leave this part out if you wish.  I think you need the mode switch otherwise the default is CBR unless the Q setting overrides this.

See this page for WME switches:
http://www.goelweb.com/software/zune_suppo...d_line_use.html

Sorry, can't help with your question about transferring files.

Reply #5
If by chance it is so, could you please also suggest software for song transfer to phone? (Mine has no MTP mode : (((curently I'm using m-sync but it doesn't work proper) Sorry for offtop, PM me please if there are any

Separate discussion but it'll depend on which phone you have as to what methods can be used to transfer files to it

Reply #6
Use this one, easy and effective: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=90519

For lossless:
wmaencode.exe
wma
-input - -output %d -c lsl

For Pro (50%):
wmaencode.exe
wma
-input - -output %d -q 50 -c pro

For Standard (75%):