Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Distracting Room Reverb What Do I Do? (Read 1668 times) previous topic - next topic

Distracting Room Reverb What Do I Do?

Something about the construction of the walls in my apartment causes the rooms to have very distracting reverb.

It sounds like a delay effect with a fast repeat time and a long feedback has been applied to any transient sound.

It's kind of interesting and I'm going to try to take advantage of it in recording, but it makes the rooms useless for monitoring.

What can I do to mitigate this?

Re: Distracting Room Reverb What Do I Do?

Reply #1
Put absorption on the wall at the speaker end, diffusion at the other, a mix on side walls between.

Absorption is soft and thick, acoustic foam ($$), several layers of blankets, fiberglass sound board (like Owens-Corning 709) covered with fabric to keep the fibers in, etc. 

Diffusion is a hard but irregular surface.  A book case full of books of varying sizes and shapes with the spines NOT all lined up perfectly works OK, or make or buy a Skyline Diffusor (google it).

There are lots of DIY projects for both of these. Again, google is your friend.

Reply #2
Thank you for the guidance. I'm familiar with the solutions you mentioned. I think I can figure it out from here :)

Reply #3
RealTraps.com has some good information about room measurement & treatment.  (They are selling bass traps, but I believe the technical information is good.)

It's kind of interesting and I'm going to try to take advantage of it in recording
It might be and interesting effect once.  :P    The reverb/reflections in a  "music hall" are good for certain kinds of music but artificial reverb in post production  is easier to adjust & control and most modern recordings are made (and mixed & mastered)  in acoustically-dead studios.

Or there are some studios with larger "good sounding" recording spaces, again used for certain kinds of music.   (Maybe Capitol Studio in L.A., but Capitol also has famous underground echo chambers.)   And there are were some famous studios that had a "signature sound" that wasn't considered "good" (Sun Studios, Abby Road) but they made so many hit records that everybody wanted to record there to get the same "hit sound".

Reply #4
RealTraps.com has some good information about room measurement & treatment.  (They are selling bass traps, but I believe the technical information is good.)
Only if one holds anti-science, anti-blind listening test views. Then, sure. ;)

The reverb/reflections in a  "music hall" are good for certain kinds of music but artificial reverb in post production  is easier to adjust & control and most modern recordings are made (and mixed & mastered)  in acoustically-dead studios.
You sure about the former Doug? https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,110109.0.html
The latter, yes, beliefs hold fast.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #5
Acoustic measurements are not science?

Reply #6
Acoustic measurements are not science?
Your red herring claim. Using the facade of measurements as Ethan does, to make anti-scientific claims about perception and thus peddle elixirs, is the issue.
Note also your lack of response to the linked perceptual science largely contradicting your claims, provides an answer.
It won't have any effect on your beliefs/claims though, as that nearly 5 yr old thread (among others) shows.
The circle of confusion will continue.

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #7
What "claims" are you talking about?   The O.P. says he's got some acoustic problems and I'm recommending diagnosis before treatment.   And, I'm suggesting his "interesting" acoustics are probably not a good recording space.   And, I'm NOT advising that he convert his apartment into a dead-sounding "studio".

Reply #8
Stop arguing on my thread. I don't record.

I'm only going to record anything at all specifically because the room sounds weird and I want to capture the sound of my weird room.

I only want to reduce or eliminate this weird reverb in one room so that it doesn't interfere with my monitoring.

Reply #9
What "claims" are you talking about?   The O.P. says he's got some acoustic problems and I'm recommending diagnosis before treatment. 
Yours and worse, Ethans anti-scientific anti blind listening test studiophile nonsense. that you constantly recommend.
If anyone wants real knowledge of "acoustic problems" as heard by 2 ears, read Dr Floyd Toole, papers, books, videos, etc. instead of studiophile belief nonsense.
Loudspeaker manufacturer