Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't get my AIF files to play (Read 4649 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't get my AIF files to play

I know this may be a stupid question.  However,  I can't get my AIF files to play.  Does foobar have support for this file type?

Reply #1
I think theres a bunch of different formats that can be in AIFF.  What are yours?

Reply #2
I think theres a bunch of different formats that can be in AIFF.  What are yours?

Not sure I understand?  Is AIFF a container?  I thought is was a format.

Reply #3
Not sure I understand? Is AIFF a container? I thought is was a format.
Right.  It can be a container.

If it's a "regular" AIFF file, foobar2000 should play it...  But, "everything" else should be able to play it too...

A "regular" AIF/AIFF file is uncompressed PCM (like a WAV file).  But, there are format variations and an AIF file can contain compressed audio in a variety of compression-formats.  (WAV files can be compressed too.)

So, what can you tell us about the file?  Do you know anything about the file?  (Sample rate, bit-depth, number of channels,  etc.?) Where did it come from?  What's the file size?  Do you have any idea of the playing time?  (From the file size and playing time, we can guess if it's compressed or not).

Try running MediaInfo or GSpot to see if you can find out anything about the format.

Reply #4
Yes most all of them was created in iTunes via CD rips.  iTunes allows you to edit the AIFF encoder settings.  Sample rate is set at 48kHz Channels s set to stereo and the Sample size is set to 16-bit.    I rip all my CD with these settings.  Now in Foobar the stopped is selected under Playback Stopped is selected and it wont play.  The same files play fine in iTunes and J. River.  Do I have to add a plug in? 

I'm running my files off 2 NAS drives.  Looks like Foobar picked up all my folder and files on both drives.  But now wont play.  Next question I'm going to have is cover art.

Reply #5
Why do you rip to 48KHz? That requires resampling your CDs from 44100Hz.

Reply #6
Why do you rip to 48KHz? That requires resampling your CDs from 44100Hz.

I noticed a more open sound when I did a A/B the 44 seemed to sound more closed and muffuled, the 48 sounded more open and full to my ears.

Reply #7
If it were properly resampled, you would not be able to hear any difference. There is a possibility that it involved some sort of terrible resampling that distorted the signal.