Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Copying Foobar settings after Windows reinstall (Read 2713 times) previous topic - next topic

Copying Foobar settings after Windows reinstall

I'm trying to copy my Foobar 2000 settings over, after having done a reinstall of Windows 7 onto a new SSD. I unplugged the HD with the existing install of Windows 7 during the installation process, and plugged it back in after.

But now, when I go to my old Windows 7 boot drive (now D: ) and try to access the AppData folder to copy the data from it, it seems to be showing me the contents of my current AppData folder on C: (the new SSD) instead. Is this what Windows does? If so, is there any way around it, so I can retrieve the application data that I'm after?

On a related note, I tried to copy my "components" folder from the old Program Files directory to the new, but my components didn't seem to be there. I installed them from new, and they seem to be working just fine, but the respective DLLs don't appear in the "components" folder under "Foobar2000". Is that normal?

Reply #1
You can get a Linux Live CD and retrieve the files you need. That is basically a working OS on a CD from which you have to boot. I use Knoppix but there are many distros for that purpose.

Reply #2
You can get a Linux Live CD and retrieve the files you need. That is basically a working OS on a CD from which you have to boot. I use Knoppix but there are many distros for that purpose.

Thanks, I was about to go down that route, but I've found a workaround now.

I was looking in D:\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData\Roaming, and seeing the contents of the AppData folder on my C: drive instead. But if I look in D:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming, this shows me the AppData folder on the D: drive (from my old Windows install), which is the behaviour I was wanting and expecting.

I can only assume that the symlink set up by my old install of Windows 7 has now come to point at the new install of Windows 7, by virtue of it having the same path name. Damn, that's confusing!

Reply #3
I was looking in D:\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData\Roaming, and seeing the contents of the AppData folder on my C: drive instead. But if I look in D:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming, this shows me the AppData folder on the D: drive (from my old Windows install), which is the behaviour I was wanting and expecting.

I can only assume that the symlink set up by my old install of Windows 7 has now come to point at the new install of Windows 7, by virtue of it having the same path name. Damn, that's confusing!

Yep, recent versions of Windows don't use "Documents and Settings" any more, that symlink is just for compatibility, the settings are stored in the "Users" folder.

On a related note, I tried to copy my "components" folder from the old Program Files directory to the new, but my components didn't seem to be there. I installed them from new, and they seem to be working just fine, but the respective DLLs don't appear in the "components" folder under "Foobar2000". Is that normal?

All components, apart from the ones that come with foobar2000s installer, are stored in the Application Data as well (AppData/Roaming/foobar2000/user-components/, to be precise), so yes, it's normal that they don't show up under Program Files.

Reply #4
That's great, thanks for the info - I've managed to get all my settings copied across, and everything is running nice and smoothly now. Cheers!

Reply #5
Great to hear!