Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cleaning vinyl with woodglue (Read 5309 times) previous topic - next topic

Cleaning vinyl with woodglue

Link is here - judge for yourself....
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #1
I did not bother to look at the link. The topic has been beaten to death many  times. Polyvinal Alcohol, and probably a number of variants, is used to make a protective flexible coating over the surface of expensive equipment and scratchable surfaces (even entire automobiles) for shipping. It goes on as a fairly thin liquid, that has very good wetting properties, and quickly becomes a springy solid coating. Anything already on the surface is incorporated into it as it solidifies and thus lifted off when it is removed.

It will do the same thing on an LP surface, but is probably not any better at getting foreign material off than is a good detergent rinse. It can also be difficult to peel off in one piece and can leave many very small adhering bits behind that, while soft, thus not readily causing damage, are a pain to remove. The occurance of this problem probably depends considerably upon how even the mixture is, how evenly it is applied, and if enough material is used to make the coating thick enough to hold itself together while it is removed from the surface.

Reply #2
The before/after audio samples are quite impressive though...

Reply #3
There was a previous discussion about this and some other similar record cleaning substances.

Reply #4
If the LP is very dirty, that will show up in playback. Cleaning the dirt off does help. The big difficulty in comparing different cleaners and methods is the essential impossibility of directly comparing the before and after cleanliness, and in knowing what in any perceived audio difference is due to dirt or to something else. Then there is the fact that an given LP will have differences each time it is played, regardless of any or no treatment between plays.

Reply #5
There is a HUGE thread about this on the turntable message base on AK

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

Too bad this doesnt remove scratches!! (I wasnt very careful years ago with my records (I didnt know just how valuable they are) and some of them arent in good shape now )