Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NOKIA AAC Encoder Module (MCL_AAC_E.dll) (Read 6259 times) previous topic - next topic

NOKIA AAC Encoder Module (MCL_AAC_E.dll)

Nokia PC Suite has 2 way of converting to AAC:
1) Nokia Music Manager (can rip CD discs only). As a result, we get the most possible bitrate of 160 kbps (MPEG-4 AAC LC);
2) Nokia Multimedia Player (can convert WAV 1411 kbps to AAC). As a result, we get the default bitrate 128 kbps only (MPEG-4 AAC LC or MPEG-4 AAC LTP). There are not bitrate options.
I found out that the encoder in both cases is the "MCL_AAC_E.dll" (NOKIA AAC Encoder Module) located at:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\PlayerModules\MCL_AAC_E.dll"
I want to find out if I can run MCL_AAC_E.dll somehow miraculously through the command line or change the parameters to increase the bitrate to 320 kbps.
I want to get to AAC files 320 kbps by the Nokia AAC Encoder. I understand that this encoder is probably outdated, but I still want to do it. Is this possible?
Is there listening tests of Nokia AAC Encoder at 128 kbps?

Re: NOKIA AAC Encoder Module (MCL_AAC_E.dll)

Reply #1
I want to find out if I can run MCL_AAC_E.dll somehow miraculously through the command line or change the parameters to increase the bitrate to 320 kbps.
I want to get to AAC files 320 kbps by the Nokia AAC Encoder. I understand that this encoder is probably outdated, but I still want to do it. Is this possible?

That encoder is probably completely useless, but if you really want to spend the time to write a command line interface for it, you can likely load the dll in your own c++ application and then call the functions it exports directly.  If it is capable of 320kbps, there is likely a function to configure that bitrate.  Aside from an exercise in windows programming, there is no reason to do this however.

Reply #2
In my opinion, the only interesting part would be LTP since most AAC encoders dropped it's support a looong time ago. It's really hard to find an encoder that does LTP these days.

Reply #3
Yes, but which player supports LTP decoding?

P.S. Also LTP and Main profile don't guarantee a high quality. It depends on an implementation. A not enough good implementation of one particular AAC encoder can be even worse than MP3 (no matter which tool set it used)

Reply #4
NOKIA AAC-LTP Encoder (Nokia Multimedia Player) has a good quality at 128 Kbps, but the bitrate is limited to 128 Kbps. I do not know how to increase it.
Old Nokia phones plays good the LTP profile. I Don't know about the new Nokia devices.

Reply #5
3GPP Release 5 includes LC and LTP profiles. But I can not find this encoder. Probably it is used in Nokia Multimedia player.

Reply #6
NOKIA AAC-LTP Encoder (Nokia Multimedia Player) has a good quality at 128 Kbps, but the bitrate is limited to 128 Kbps. I do not know how to increase it.
Old Nokia phones plays good the LTP profile. I Don't know about the new Nokia devices.

Most AAC encoders sound good at 128k, however, this one is probably worse than newer codec.

You probably shouldn't use LTP since it is a dead format.