Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decompressing FLAC files to WAVs (Read 11149 times) previous topic - next topic

Decompressing FLAC files to WAVs

Hi, I'm kinda new with loseless codecs. I downloaded an album in FLAC and i want to decompress it to WAVs files. What's the best tool to make this ?
I know about DBpowerAMP, in fact i use it to convert other audio types, but I don't know if its good decompressing FLAC files. If not, what others programs do you recommend ?

Thanx!

Reply #1
Hi, I'm kinda new with loseless codecs. I downloaded an album in FLAC and i want to decompress it to WAVs files. What's the best tool to make this ?
I know about DBpowerAMP, in fact i use it to convert other audio types, but I don't know if its good decompressing FLAC files. If not, what others programs do you recommend ?

Thanx!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332402"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FLAC is lossless, therefore any decoder which does not decode to the original wav files would be flawed;  dBPowerAmp should work fine, foobar2000 can do it, too.  Winamp with plugins should be ok..

etc, etc..

Reply #3
cool, i will use the flac frontend to decompress it, seems more professional than dbpoweramp

thanx.

Reply #4
cool, i will use the flac frontend to decompress it, seems more professional than dbpoweramp

thanx.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332425"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Might you care to elaborate on that comment? In what way is it more professional?
--
Eric

Reply #5

thanx.

Might you care to elaborate on that comment? In what way is it more professional?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332444"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Give him a break, I'm sure he's didn't meant the word "professional", Flac frontend it's a easier tool to usefro decoding to wav, by no means of "professional"
(unless you refers to as a bundle with flac) 

Reply #6
In what way is it more professional?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332444"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ssssshh... you're gonna kill his placebo effect...

Reply #7
I said that just becouse the flac frontend uses the original DOS window to decode the flac files, not just a simple bar like dbpoweramp, besides its an "official" FLAC tool. Anyways, it was just a personal comment, it doesn't mean its better or worse, i guess its the same though.

edit: hey, don't kill the newbie 

Reply #8
I said that just becouse the flac frontend uses the original DOS window to decode the flac files, not just a simple bar like dbpoweramp, besides its an "official" FLAC tool. Anyways, it was just a personal comment, it doesn't mean its better or worse, i guess its the same though.

if you ask me, the "simple bar", is more profesional than the DOS (lookings wise)...

Reply #9
Emiliano, the word is: GEEKY

Reply #10
Emiliano, the word is: GEEKY
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332499"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hehe, yeah maybe you're right 

Re: Decompressing FLAC files to WAVs

Reply #11

thanx.

I wouldn't use the term professional, but I've always trusted the CLI tools are doing exactly what they're supposed to do, while many GUI tools are focused on being pretty, and don't always behave as expected.

Reply #12
i want to decompress it to WAVs files

You can do so but you run the risk of loosing your tags. Tagging support for WAV is haphazard.
Observe that all computer audio formats makes no sense to a DAC. A DAC doesn't play FLAC, MP3, etc.
The moment you select a file in a media player and press play, the media player invokes the right decoder. It will decode e.g. FLAC (or any other format) to linear PCM. Hence what you attempt to do manual, will by design done for you by the media player.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #13
my brethren, please scroll up and look at the date ... i cant XD