Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Preview of foobar2000 mobile v1.4 (Read 17873 times) previous topic - next topic

Preview of foobar2000 mobile v1.4

foobar2000 mobile v1.4 preview
Android (Google Play)
Android (APK downloads)
iOS

Preview change log:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Mobile_Version_1.4_Preview_Change_Log

Most notable changes:
  • Revised Android TV support. Defaults to dim screen with current system time and subtle now-playing-track info instead of glaring skinned playback controls that don't work with TV remote anyway.
  • REMOVED support for Android's sandboxed filesystem
  • Latest revision of HTTP & FTP code, improved use of persistent connections, implemented encrypted FTP support.
  • Added WebDAV share support in Media Library / Media Servers, add as webdav-http:// or webdav-https:// URL.
  • Codec tech updates.
  • Browsing by folder now lists archives & lets you browse their contents.
  • Lots of bugs fixed.
  • Added media buttons lock mode, press play/pause repeatedly to activate/deactivate.
  • New DSP: Push the Tempo

Details about Android filesystem changes
Support for Android sandboxed filesystem, also known as "Storage Access Framework", or "DocumentFile API", has been removed.
I'm sorry. Some will hate it. I also hate axing something I spent months working on. It's simply broken. It was responsible for fun issues such as "loading list of playlists takes over 10 seconds". I can't go around yelling at users to stop using it, because that's not how software is supposed to work.
Please either use "foobar2000 music folder", or give foobar2000 full disk access permissions if you wish to access normal SD card folders.
You might have to remove & re-add your music folders for new foobar2000 to pick them up.
Thanks for understanding.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Re: Preview of foobar2000 mobile v1.4

Reply #1
thx for the new beta Peter,
will this effect my Samsung Galaxy S21+?
I found using folder viewing method easiest instead if trying to create playlists...
you mentioned above  filesystem changes.. O_o

Reply #2
If you only use "foobar2000 music folder", you're not affected.
If you use SD card folders on some new-enough phone, you might have to remove folders from foobar2000 media library and add them again, at which point you will be asked to grant foobar2000 full disk access permissions.

Reply #3
I do not use the Foobar2000 music folder.. I don't even know where it is located on the phone's file system.. lol
I use [ JoeMusic ] folder in the root of my android phone's internal storage...
as the Samsung Galaxy S21+ does not have an SD card slot...

Reply #4
I hope this addresses FTP server hammering issues some have been suffering from.
The new release was like Christmas for me, but I'm afraid to report: the problem with "421 Unauthorized client limit reached" still exists.
What did you change? Is there a hardcoded "x connections per minute" or "sleep x seconds" value, that could be made configureable via the options?
I don't mind waiting for 30-60mins to get the indexing done, as long as it succeeds.

The new beta is still only able to index about 1/3 of my whole song library.

Edit: There seem to be additional new entries in the indexing error log saying "225 ABOR command successful", which I don't remember to be there before.
They also sometimes popup when trying to play a file.
Towards the end of the indexing error log, the messages change to "network error".

Reply #5
Browsing by folder now lists archives & lets you browse their contents.
On a related sidenote:
shouldn't fb2k display embedded cover art when playing a file?
At the moment I only see a cover displayed when there's a cover.jpg in the same folder.
For files with embedded cover art it's neither indexed nor extracted & shown when played.

Reply #6
Additional observation:
I seem to be only able to play FLAC files via FTP with the new version.
OGG and MP3 files don't play at all: "Playback error: 225 ABOR command successful" comes up and  the next file is tried with the same result.
This procedure doesn't stop before a FLAC file is in the list, which then plays.

OGG and MP3 playback via FTP works when I go back to the previous version.

Edit: Managed to play a MP3 file (320Kbps CBR, 12.5MB) via FTP.
A Podcast file in the same folder with 64 Kbps CBR (12.2MB) doesn't play ("225 ABOR").
When I download the podcast file to the fb2k music folder, the file plays there.
Confusing...

Reply #7
Is there any chance I can try this FTP server software myself? What device/software is it exactly?

Reply #8
Is there any chance I can try this FTP server software myself? What device/software is it exactly?
Basically any AVM Fritzbox router (70% market share in DE/AT/CH) with its integrated NAS function.
They run  this FTP daemon.

Reply #9
Build 752 posted, see link above.

Again fixed lots of FTP bugs (thanks to pyr452 for great help).

I was finally able to get encrypted FTP working.
Use ftps:// for implicit encryption (rare), ftpes:// for explicit (more common).
If you connect to a server that requires explicit AUTH TLS using ftp:// address, foobar2000 will automatically enable encryption.

Reply #12
(Peter will probably fix the link soon)

Peter also squashed many bugs affecting embedded cover art indexation
yeah,
he probably will fix it sooner or later lol. ;)
It was just important enough to report it though.

Reply #13
I'm happy to learn mobile fb2k is still being developed, although with some trepidation since the filesystem change applies to me, as I have a 128GB microSD with a load of music crammed into it in OPUS format. I have very little internal storage, so it's essential. If it means I'll have to copy everything off and back on again, I may take the opportunity to start over from scratch, and may use onewaysync going forwards...

A few features I'm hoping will be added:

- Exposing the Date field for the currently playing song. Maybe any user-defined metadata fields could be displayed, but Date feels to me like it should be a default.
- Failing that, since the above can be managed via skinning AFAIK, fixing the currently broken skin support. Ideally I'd just keep/modify the default skin though, if that's possible.

Reply #14
- Exposing the Date field for the currently playing song. Maybe any user-defined metadata fields could be displayed, but Date feels to me like it should be a default.
Where would you position the date?

Another optional useful feature would be the data from the status bar of the desktop app (filetype, bitrate, hertz, mode). In the mock-up below it's positioned in the middle, but if and where could be configurable: "no data/top/middle/bottom"

Reply #15
Just another mockup idea:

Reply #17
New build up.
Fixed widget errors, updated target API levels to latest (33) as Google Play Store isn't accepting API 30 I used until now.
I'm working on getting this released as open beta in Google Play Store.

Reply #18
New build up.
Fixed widget errors, updated target API levels to latest (33) as Google Play Store isn't accepting API 30 I used until now.
I'm working on getting this released as open beta in Google Play Store.
nice!
thx Peter :D
will there be any issues with the video game music components built in from Kode54 src that you are still working with?
SNES & Sega Genesis, PlayStation 1&2, Sega Saturn, etc are what I use.. :D

Reply #21
Sorry, it seems I keep failing at linking for some reason.

Added download info to https://www.foobar2000.org/apk

Reply #22
In meanwhile, the update got rejected by Google Play, they disagree with full storage access.

This is BULLSHIT.

Mainstream competing media players (VLC, Kodi) have full storage access.

Google insists that it's not "core functionality" and it's possible to use foobar2000 without it.

It seems I have to choose between releasing dumbed down version without access to SD card folders, or dumbed down version without "foobar2000 music folder" so you have to grant full storage access to play music at all.

Reverting to use Storage Access Framework is not an option, it was the main source of bug reports with past versions.

I'm forced to postpone updating Google Play until this is sorted out one way or another.

Reply #23
Google insists that it's not "core functionality" and it's possible to use foobar2000 without it.
Is that the result of an automated inspection or did some human actually look at the app?

I could imagine that the app in its current form almost exclusively uses read commands, while Google expects to see at least some (or more) usage of write commands . So then the verdict is "why full storage access?".

Some sort of workaround (although pretty work intensive) might be to add the possibility to edit ID3 tags.
Just an idea - it could also be that I'm completely wrong about Googles terms regarding the full storage access.

Reply #24
Seemingly automated rejection >> appeal >> apparent human reply rejecting appeal.

There's no option to have only read access.
There's no sanely working option to have only music folder access. Secure Access Framework does it, but with severe bugs and horrible performance, should be avoided this at all costs, caused bugs like "list of playlists takes 10s+ to load" with past foobar2000 versions. I can't yell at every user reporting these bugs to use private foobar2000 music folder instead.
There's no sanely working option to have access only to music files - "media files only" mode hides files that Android doesn't recognize as music, such as Musepack.

I expected trouble, but VLC and Kodi do the same and somehow haven't been rejected.

Finally, users don't actually have to grant foobar2000 full disk access if they don't want to, foobar2000 prompts for full disk access only when trying to add local folders to Media Library.