Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem with foobar2000 mobile not recognizing certain MP3 tags (Read 671 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with foobar2000 mobile not recognizing certain MP3 tags

Hi!

I have a problem with tagging MP3 files: it seems that information I write into certain tags is not recognized by foobar2000 mobile.

Here are the details:

I use mp3tag (v3.02 on Windows 10 Home) to tag my MP3 files.

Information I write into tags like ARTIST, GENRE, TITLE, COMPOSER etc. are recognized by foobar2000 mobile (Version 1.4.1 on my iPhone 13 running iOS 16.6.1).

Recently, I tried to use the tag STYLE to tag some MP3 files. After transferring these files to foobar2000 mobile (and rescanning the library, of course), I still get only one entry when clicking on Browse/Style: "(unknown style)". This entry then includes all my MP3 files (including those containing a STYLE tag).

The same problem occurs with the PERIOD, INSTRUMENT and CONDUCTOR tags.

Am I using the correct field name "STYLE"? Does anybody have a clue what the solution might be?

Thanks so much in advance! :-)

Re: Problem with foobar2000 mobile not recognizing certain MP3 tags

Reply #1
Ok, I put my question differently: Has anybody *ever* successfully used one of the tags I mentioned (STYLE, PERIOD, INSTRUMENT or CONDUCTOR) in foobar2000 mobile (i.e., do you see something different than the global "(unknown style)" etc. lists)?

If so, I would be very happy if you could send me one MP3 file which is properly displayed in your foobar2000 mobile app. Then I have a chance to go trouble-shooting myself.

Thank you so much!

Reply #2
Yes, all my MP3 and Opus files work fine with these tags, but I do not tag really anything with Mp3Tag, instead I just use the default foobar2000 tag editor. Here is a free, public domain, legal MP3 file I've tagged on my desktop in foobar2000 that meets the criteria you've sent and shows these tags as expected in the foobar2000 mobile app. I put this file onto my phone using FileZilla.

TAGS:
Artist Name: Eddy del Rio
Track Title: Liebestraume No.3 in A-Flat Major
Album Title: HYDROGENAUDIO
Style: HYDROGENAUDIO
Composer: Liszt
Performer: Eddy del Rio
Album Artist: HYDROGENAUDIO
CONDUCTOR: Test Conductor Field
INSTRUMENT: Piano
PERIOD: Romantic

MOD note: audio samples should be less than 30 seconds

Reply #3
Your file did not work either, but it helped me to solve the problem: Obviously, it was a bad idea to use iTunes for synchronizing my MP3 files. Some tags obviously get lost in this process. When I copy my files to the foobar2000mobile directory, all tags show up perfectly in the app.

Thanks a lot! :-)