Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_midi (foobar2000 v2.0) (Read 26024 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_midi (foobar2000 v2.0)

Reply #25
The only pity is that it can't use system MIDI mapper

It can't. By design.

For FB2K to work, it needs audio decode services to output to PCM, which then data is used for visualization/converting/DSP/etc. Windows MIDI system drivers don't do this and use their own code for outputting sound.

Could the component's volume be raised a bit, then? It's overwhelmingly quiet compared to most other components and media files. Unless this was fixed in a newer version of the plugin I don't have, of course. This is the main reason I use alternative programs like Falcosoft's MidiPlayer to listen to MIDI files rather than foobar2000 like everything else.
Sincerely, LegoLoco7

Reply #26
If there is only one VST or SoundFont you prefer to use and don't change often, you can replaygain-scan midis, though it does require having appropriate tags to store the replaygain info in, such as External Tags (foo_external_tags by Case.) Output volume can change dramatically between devices and soundfonts though, so replaygain is not so practical in the situation where change between multiple cores (though you can use kode54's EBU R128 normalizer instead.) In any case, the volume is dependent on the midi core being used, not the MIDI component, so I recommend investigating those options.

You can also use Run Services (foo_run by Florian Heidenreich) to open a playlisted MIDI in your oldschool MIDI player of choice if foobar2000 still won't cut it. I use TMIDI by Fummy this way, mainly because I have a Yamaha XG hardware rompler I like to use occasionally. You just pre-configure the service as:

Code: [Select]
"C:\Local\Directory\SOFTWARE.EXE" "%path%"

Then you can assign that to a button in your interface, and voila, whatever you have selected in your playlist will play in your favourite MIDI player instead.

Also, just a quick query of my own! Does the recompiled component still work with the "Secret Sauce" for SCVA? I don't want to find out the hard way~

Reply #27
the recompiled component doesn't include scpipe exes atm but I test with old exes from old components, using 64bit dll and fb2k 64bit, it plays midis.

Reply #28
If there is only one VST or SoundFont you prefer to use and don't change often, you can replaygain-scan midis, though it does require having appropriate tags to store the replaygain info in, such as External Tags (foo_external_tags by Case.) Output volume can change dramatically between devices and soundfonts though, so replaygain is not so practical in the situation where change between multiple cores (though you can use kode54's EBU R128 normalizer instead.) In any case, the volume is dependent on the midi core being used, not the MIDI component, so I recommend investigating those options.

You can also use Run Services (foo_run by Florian Heidenreich) to open a playlisted MIDI in your oldschool MIDI player of choice if foobar2000 still won't cut it. I use TMIDI by Fummy this way, mainly because I have a Yamaha XG hardware rompler I like to use occasionally. You just pre-configure the service as:

Code: [Select]
"C:\Local\Directory\SOFTWARE.EXE" "%path%"

Then you can assign that to a button in your interface, and voila, whatever you have selected in your playlist will play in your favourite MIDI player instead.
Oh wow, thanks! I'll consider trying foo_run.
Sincerely, LegoLoco7

Reply #29
v2.7.4.3, 2022-11-20, Returning to BASS

- Re-added missing BASS libraries.
- Re-added recompiled versions of scpipe32 and scpipe64.
- Upgraded JSON parser and build to latest version.
- Started fixing compiler warnings.
- No added functionality.

URL: https://github.com/stuerp/foo_midi/

Download from the Releases page.

Reply #30

- Re-added missing BASS libraries.
- Re-added recompiled versions of scpipe32 and scpipe64.
- Upgraded JSON parser and build to latest version.
- Started fixing compiler warnings.
- No added functionality.

thx for the update pqyt. 

I will try installing it now...
but I have noticed there is no download on the main Foobar2000 component repo... yet.. :(
is there an issue with uploading to the site?

EDIT1:
ok successfully installed over Kode54's version, but had to re-index the library folder that had midi files.. and its not detecting all of them.. so I manually created a new midi playlist ofr midi files...
in the past I only listened to midi once and a long while.. as I didn't really need them anymore...

Reply #31
EDIT1:
ok successfully installed over Kode54's version, but had to re-index the library folder that had midi files.. and its not detecting all of them.. so I manually created a new midi playlist ofr midi files...
in the past I only listened to midi once and a long while.. as I didn't really need them anymore...

I can't think of a reason why you had to re-index the library since I haven't touched the file recognition and parsing code.

Reply #34
It only works with Windows 10? Was there some big change?
It was only tested with Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Does that mean it will likely still work with older versions of Windows?
Most likely. I haven't used any new system calls or upgraded existing ones. The focus was on porting the application functionality.

Reply #35
v2.7.4.4, 2022-11-21, I'm SoundFont of it

- Bug Fix: The new scpipe32 and scpipe64 in the previous version had issues. Secret Sauce is back.
- Added support for compressed SoundFonts (.sf3) to BASS MIDI player.
- Updated Munt (MT32 emulator) to v2.7.0.
- Reduced the component package size a bit. Only one copy of each vsthost and scpipe executable is included.

Reply #36
- Reduced the component package size a bit. Only one copy of each vsthost and scpipe executable is included.

That is not gonna work right...
The root of the component installer/archive is for 32bit versions of FB2K v2.0
and the sub folder must contain the 64bit version,
those host files from the root folder will not get installed if some one is running 64bit v2 of FB2K.

as I am still running 32bit v2 beta 13 of FB2k.. it would not effect me till all the components I use have a 64bit version...

Reply #37

those host files from the root folder will not get installed if some one is running 64bit v2 of FB2K.

as I am still running 32bit v2 beta 13 of FB2k.. it would not effect me till all the components I use have a 64bit version...
And yet it does. Peter's components do the same. Apparently all files from the root of the package get installed unless there's a 64-bit version of it.

Reply #38

And yet it does. Peter's components do the same. Apparently all files from the root of the package get installed unless there's a 64-bit version of it.
ooh.. ok alrighty then nvm then... lol

Reply #39
It's too bad the midi and lyrics components are separate projects - I have a lot of karaoke midis with lyrics data foo_midi doesn't expose and foo_openlyrics can't see.

Poking around in the settings - what actually is "Secret Sauce"?  I'd never heard of that in the context of midis before foo_midi

Reply #40
It's too bad the midi and lyrics components are separate projects - I have a lot of karaoke midis with lyrics data foo_midi doesn't expose and foo_openlyrics can't see.

Poking around in the settings - what actually is "Secret Sauce"?  I'd never heard of that in the context of midis before foo_midi

If foo_openlyrics has an service that I can consume to push the lyrics to, maybe I could extract the lyrics and send them to it. Haven't looked into either problem yet.

I don't know the origin of the term "Secret Sauce" but it's a code word for an interface to the commercial SoundCanvas module. If you own it then foo_midi can use it to render MIDI files.

Reply #41
@pqyt

Thank you for carrying on the torch of foo_midi.  :)

I wonder whether you would be able to add support for MIDI files that use channel 16 as a second drum channel? For more details on the issue please check my post here. I've also uploaded an archive with example MIDI files that is still available for download here.

Reply #42
Sure, I'll have a look at it.

Reply #43
Hi, found a bug. I noticed that as of 2.8.1, pressing enter on the foo_midi entry in the decoding panel to open the MIDI Player preferences no longer works.

Reply #44
pressing enter on the foo_midi entry in the decoding panel to open the MIDI Player preferences no longer works.
Could you please explain a little: what is the "decoding panel" in this scenario? And why is opening the preferences page after pressing Enter an expected response?

Reply #45
He means the "configure" button at the end of the input entry on Preferences -> Playback -> Decoding no longer works.

Reply #46
He means the "configure" button at the end of the input entry on Preferences -> Playback -> Decoding no longer works.
Finally got around to looking at this bug. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue. I don't even know what made it work in the first place.

Is there another plugin author that knows?

Reply #47
I'm speculating here but correct this GUID or nuke the method if you don't have a preferences page.

https://github.com/stuerp/foo_midi/blob/d4068dea9e4f9af4613279d77fb8644f87f3f445/InputDecoder.h#L234C17-L239

edit: I know it's safe to omit. I recently compiled foo_input_ofr for fb2k 2.0 and made it derive from input_stubs like your component. It's fine without it.

Reply #48
I'm speculating here but correct this GUID or nuke the method if you don't have a preferences page.
Quite the speculation... Thanks. That did it. I should return the GUID of one of the preferences pages instead of some random GUID. Makes sense afterwards.

Reply #49
v2.8.2.0, 2023-05-20, Spring Cleaning

* Bug Fix: MIDI files with malformed tracks caused a crash.
* Bug Fix: MIDI files with malformed SysEx events caused a crash.
* Bug Fix: Work-around for weird rendering problem in Dark mode.
* Bug Fix: Restored access to the Preferences page from the Decoding page in the Preferences dialog.
* Improved: Tweaked the size of some of the labels of the Preferences dialog.
* Improved: Added a message to re-open the Preferences dialog after any of the paths were changed.
* Improved: Changed Shift-JIS detection in meta data. A copyright sign (©) was interpreted as Shift-JIS.

Download from https://github.com/stuerp/foo_midi/releases or the Components Repository.

Automatic update from within foobar2000 still does not work...