Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to find someone to 'design' my digial music library/listening system (Read 2517 times) previous topic - next topic

How to find someone to 'design' my digial music library/listening system

Greetings all

It has been some years since I started down this 'digital music library' road.  I read your 'stickies' and I think I'm OK posting this here in GA because:  a) my Q spans a couple different forums; and b) there isn't a forum for my actual Q.

So - I went through the process of ripping my CD collection - well, some years ago, using Flac and EAC.  While I've listened to some of my music - I have never gotten to the point of actually 'using' my digital library.  There are just too many other things on my plate and this topic doesn't really interest me - I just want my system set up and usable!

So - any suggestions on how I might hire someone to complete the task of figuring out how best to get my digital library to play through my stereo system.  What other hardware do I need (slim device?? stereo components etc); While I have all these flac files - they are not in any sort of database - I seem to recall reading about Monkey 'something' and foobar . .   maybe database isn't the right word. 

I don't know that I need someone to 'do' the setup - I just need to know Specifically - what I need to do/buy etc.  I just don't have the time/interest to figure it all out!  I need a "knowledgeable/well versed" consultant!

any suggestions are appreciated - Is it inappropriate to solicit a consultant here?? 

Thanks
Kelly

btw:  Thanks so much for the 'autosave' feature - just as I was about to post - I had been logged out and thought I lost all this!!

Re: How to find someone to 'design' my digial music library/listening system

Reply #1
What audio equipment do you already have?

Where are your ripped files currently stored?

Reply #2
Hey @Apesbrain  -

My audio equipment is a basic receiver (Denon) and speakers (Energy floor speakers - don't remember the model and not home right now).  I am not an audiophile - but I would build out the system to enjoy my music 'fully' - if that makes any sense.  I don't need a 'home theater' setup - just good/better quality audio. 

as for my ripped cd files; they're sitting on a 250 (?) gb  external hard drive; with the overflow on a 32 g usb drive. 

Thanks for your help

Kelly

Reply #3
I just bought one of these for this reason and as a phono-pre-amp. ~ https://artproaudio.com/product/usb-phono-plus-project-series/

I think this unit has been recommended here before, however, I'm also curious whether this is the way to best accomplish this.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #4
the most comfy yet energy effective solution is probably some kind of tablet where foobar2000 can be installed
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #5
Have you considered the Sonos Port (or older Sonos Connect)?  It is made for people like yourself who are seeking a "plug & play" solution.  Just plug its audio output into an AUX or TAPE IN on your receiver.  Almost everything you need comes in the box.  It will index all music files it finds on your network.  You control it from an app on your PC, Android, or iDevice.

Reply #6
Thanks for the replies @2tec , @magicgoose  and @Apesbrain  . . .   (btw 2tec - love your profile image!)
Yes, there are lots of ideas and ways to do this out there.  But as the subject of this topic indicates - I have no interest and no time to research all the possibilities and put it together! 

Are there any consultants out there who know enough about this and would like a side gig?  Don't mean to be terse - and I truly do appreciate your help.  Despite best intentions - it's not what I need.  But thanks

maybe I just need a post with the subject "Consultant wanted" . . .  

Kelly

Reply #7
Buy a Sony HAP-S1.

1- Copy the audio files (from LAN or USB) or plug your hard drive/USB drive with them.
2- Plug the device to your speakers / audio system.
3- Play the music.

Reply #8
Most cities of any size have professional audio installers that will install a system for you, including software and hardware.  They will likely want to install some version of either (1) Sonos, (2) Roon, or (3) Logitech Media Server (LMS).   Any of these can work well.  I'm a user of LMS and Roon.   A Central server with all my music, can be controlled by laptop, iphone, ipad, and can play to multiple endpoints in my home, either synched or something different to each endpoint.  Play local music files, internet radio, or various music streaming services.

Reply #9
as for my ripped cd files; they're sitting on a 250 (?) gb  external hard drive; with the overflow on a 32 g usb drive. 
Kelly
Do you own a laptop? What is your budget in actual $$ ?

I own several, so I simply installed Foobar (free) on a functional one. Connected external drives, usb drives, etc. like yours.
Bought one of these ($200-400 used-new).
Plugged "Sender" into laptop. Plugged "Receiver" into stereo (a Denon AVR). Played all my music from drives. And streaming Amazon HD, etc, etc.
Since my files are all digital, I always have an irresistible urge to surf online etc. while listening, but YMMV.
Total outlay $200-$400. Plugging in a couple cables that came with kit.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #10
Ummm...raspberrypi, hifiberry digi+ for s/p-dif connection to the AVR, install piCoreplayer on the pi, tick the box and install slimserver and plug the external drive in. All in one solution. Total cost less than £100, can control via a phone app.

https://www.picoreplayer.org/
https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digiplus-standard-version/

This is what I use :) Then another pi and an amp+ in the bedroom so I don't even need an amp, and then I can put other pi's around the house. Can sync them all ala Sonos.

Reply #11
time does fly doesn't it .  .  .   I'm still here . .   OK - so 
@AngelGR . . .    Ummm - thanks for the idea but $1k is a bit out of my price range (Sony website) - even if I can find it cheaper than that - probably not by much. 

@garym    are these folks in the 'yellow pages'?  I'm not that ol' school (but I am that old!) . .  Where does one find such a person??

@ajinfla  . .   Yes I have a laptop.  I actually have (and forgot to mention) an old (old) desktop running Win 7, with a newer video card that is my 'dedicated' "TV" for internet movies etc, using HDMI port to a TV (which I never use for "TV).  Figured this could also be used as my digital library 'server'.   Budget is probably <$500 - depending on what I need and how much I'm paying someone.    so . . Foobar reads flac files?  Also . .  "YMMV"???  I'm not to savy on IM speak (?) . . .  (see previous reference to 'old school'  :-)   )

@probedb  . .  Ummm .  .  appreciate your time to drop a note, but this would require way way way more time than I want to spend just trying to figure out what that is!  - But I Do appreciate you help.

I think that covers everyone.  And I think I'm making progress. 
Super thanks to all who take the time to add their thoughts!

Stay safe -
Kelly

Reply #12
@ajinfla  . .   Yes I have a laptop.  I actually have (and forgot to mention) an old (old) desktop running Win 7, with a newer video card that is my 'dedicated' "TV" for internet movies etc, using HDMI port to a TV (which I never use for "TV).  Figured this could also be used as my digital library 'server'.   Budget is probably <$500 - depending on what I need and how much I'm paying someone.    so . . Foobar reads flac files?  Also . .  "YMMV"???  I'm not to savy on IM speak (?) . . .  (see previous reference to 'old school'  :-)   )

Stay safe -
Kelly
Well..if you can run that HDMI to Denon (AVR?), then you could use Denon HDMI monitor out for TV...and you wouldn't have to buy anything. I use that wireless system because I prefer to be untethered,
Yes, Foobar plays FLAC.
Your Mileage Might Vary. That whole line was a bit of a this website joke.
If the Denon doesn't have HDMI, you can still use the USB on laptop to either wirelessly or wired stream your drives music to Denon, either using Windows Media Player (in Win 7), or better yet, install Foobar.

cheers

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #13
are these folks in the 'yellow pages'?  I'm not that ol' school (but I am that old!) . .  Where does one find such a person??

Yes, they may be in the Yellow Pages. Or find an upscale "Stereo Equipment" store in your town, and they will have suggestions for local system installers.  I live in a town of less then 200,000 people, and I'm aware of at least two such system installers locally.

edit:  some of the other suggestions would literally take you about an hour of time and are really good (for example, I use some rPi units running LMS with attached HDD, and they are both cheap and very good....(I don't actually care that they are cheap, just good and very user friendly).  I"m not a computer guy, but can follow simple instructions and I had my rPi's up and running in less than an hour.

Reply #14
My suggestion is to buy a semi-decent USB audio card (like ASUS Xonar U7). That way you can use any computer (desktop or laptop) as a player, you can use any software player (like foobar2000) and you can use any amplifier (your Denon receiver will do). You can change and mix those components at any time and you will not be dependent on any online services/apps that may disappear at any time.