Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OPUS audio hardware decoders? (Read 1659 times) previous topic - next topic

OPUS audio hardware decoders?

Do OPUS audio hardware decoders even exist? Why hardware capable playing OPUS remain so limited compared to its MP3, WMA, and AAC counterparts?
LAME: -f -V 0 -Y
 Xing: -V150 -X2 -U2 -HF-1 -TX0

Re: OPUS audio hardware decoders?

Reply #1
I think Xiph foundation even open sourced the hardware implementation. Guess there are no takers since OPUS is not backed by a huge corporate.

I also wondered the same a while ago you may want to check it out.

One of the replies

Are dedicated DAPs with fully custom software even needed these days? Everything can just run Android. (where Opus support is built into the OS, and even if it's not usable for some reason, you can install a player which supports it, such as foobar2000 for Android)

Reply #2
I don't think hardware audio decoders have been much of a thing for the better part of 20 years.

Like, crappy mobile chips were fast enough to decode Opus at least as early as 2001 when the first gen iPod came out,

Reply #3
Is there reason why a lot of  MP3 player and car stereos don't support OPUS? (I know certain Sandisk players can play Vorbis, but not OPUS).
LAME: -f -V 0 -Y
 Xing: -V150 -X2 -U2 -HF-1 -TX0

Reply #4
Is there reason why a lot of  MP3 player and car stereos don't support OPUS? (I know certain Sandisk players can play Vorbis, but not OPUS).
You write "MP3 player". Guess why they are often called that.
Check out the dates the codecs were released. There was virtually no competition in the nineties.

And Opus is ten years younger than Vorbis.

Reply #5

Yes, additional development time, additional testing and validation, and additional support costs. All to support a codec the 99.99% of the market don't even know.

MP3 has long been 'good enough'.