Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDex + nero aac wont VBR (Read 5751 times) previous topic - next topic

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Hello
i am trying to rip my cd collection using CDex + nero aac encoder at VBR, but i notice none of the aac files that i convert are VBR. But when i convert them with itunes i can see they are VBR.
This is the setting i am using for CDex+Nero aac encoder
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/6843/cdessetting.png

and here is the comparisson of the same files ripped with itunes and CDex+Nero aac codec both at VBR 192kpbs, anyway the filed encoded with nero does not show the VBR info as itunes do.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/a...esvsaacnero.png

what i want to do is to rip my music cds with nero encoder to true AAC VBR, not just AAC.
If anyone knows the best setting for Nero AAC VBR, please let me know it.

i hope somebody can help me

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Reply #1
Of course the Nero AAC files are VBR, otherwise they wouldn't have an average bit rate of 171 kbit/s. It's just that iTunes doesn't call them VBR. I'd call that an iTunes "feature", not a problem with the Nero encoder.

Try loading them in Foobar and it will give you a clearer picture.

Also, there's no such thing as VBR 192kpbs - there's VBR, CBR 192kbit/s, and constrained VBR with a miminum bitrate of 192 kbit/s. Your Nero encodes are true VBR, the iTunes ones look like they might be constrained VBR with a miminum bitrate of 192 kbit/s.

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Reply #2
Ok and thank your for your reply.
but i have another question, why the bitrate of the itunes encoded file is 192kbps while the file encoded with nero is just 171 kbps?, what does it mean?
please check the comparisson i made:
http://imageshack.us/f/803/aacitunesvsaacnero.png/

in the other hand i like the way nero aac reduced the file size to almost 1MB in comparisson with the itunes aac file size.
i also would like to know if there is a BEST setting for this nero aac codec to achieve the best quality possible out of CDDA, i am encoding my music cds to listen to the nero aac vbr files on my ipod touch 4th generation 32 GB.

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Reply #3
From post #2
Also, there's no such thing as VBR 192kpbs - there's VBR, CBR 192kbit/s, and constrained VBR with a miminum bitrate of 192 kbit/s. Your Nero encodes are true VBR, the iTunes ones look like they might be constrained VBR with a miminum bitrate of 192 kbit/s.

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Reply #4
Yes, I already checked your comparison when you posted it the first time....... 

It means that the iTunes encoder is probably constrained 192 kbit/s VBR, where the minimum frame size is equivalent to 192 kbit/s. The Nero encoder isn't constrained, so all frames are encoded to achieve the desired quality, and that means where the music is sufficiently compressible then the frames can be encoded at a lower effective bit rate, hence the overall bitrate is lower and the file is smaller. Alternatively, it could mean that the iTunes encoder is set to give you a higher quality level, and the bit rate being the same as one of the standard CBR bit rates (192 kBit/s) is just a coincidence.

The best setting for the Nero encoder is the one that is transparent to your ears. If you don't have time to do your own listening tests then q=0.5 is a good setting, but q=0.4 might also be just as good - it really depends on your ears and your listening environment.

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Reply #5
you are an eloquent person, anyway i am so curious, maybe the itunes setting is somehow getting me better quality than the nero setting?
is there any software that i could use to check the quality of both itunes and nero aac versions?, i mean a software with graphics or something like that for me to meter that quality.
Not always it is so easy to do and ear test, i mean there is too much noise all around, and i think it affects the concentration or appreciation of sounds within or without a particular audible range, and i think a software would show graphically the true quality levels of sound, no matter how much noise could be outside there, etc.

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Reply #6
i am so curious, maybe the itunes setting is somehow getting me better quality than the nero setting?
is there any software that i could use to check the quality of both itunes and nero aac versions?, i mean a software with graphics or something like that for me to meter that quality.
Not always it is so easy to do and ear test, i mean there is too much noise all around, and i think it affects the concentration or appreciation of sounds within or without a particular audible range, and i think a software would show graphically the true quality levels of sound

No, it would not. Visual representations of audio, particularly audio that has been processed by a lossy encoder, are largely meaningless and are not useful for evaluating the perceptual quality of a signal; for this reason, they are proscribed by #8 of our Terms of Service. One listens to music through ears, not eyes. Perform a double-blind test or do not make claims about quality, which may be imagined anyway.

CDex + nero aac wont VBR

Reply #7
Ok now i got the message
sometimes i want to dig deeper and deeper and go as far as possible in the topics i am interested in.
Try and fail
thank you for all your time bro, c ya