Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: does my dream player exist yet? (Read 2779 times) previous topic - next topic

does my dream player exist yet?

1) built-in large capacity (~1 TB) (i.e. no need to strap on an external drive)
2) HDMI output
3) bit-perfect (e.g. WASAPI) output
3) built-in player software (e.g. foobar2k) and screen
4) portable 

iow, shrinking my current laptop+ f2K + HDMI + external USB storage down to something like an old style iPod.

assume price no object (for now)

?

Re: does my dream player exist yet?

Reply #1
Just few thoughts, I know the iPod Classics can be modified with a 1TB drive and I know some can be modified with Rockbox, maybe you can find one that supports both? And maybe they made an iPod to HDMI adapter? Not sure, just thinking here.

Also, why don't you build one with a SBC (Raspberry Pi or similar)?

Reply #2
Just few thoughts, I know the iPod Classics can be modified with a 1TB drive and I know some can be modified with Rockbox, maybe you can find one that supports both? And maybe they made an iPod to HDMI adapter? Not sure, just thinking here.

because an aggressively DIY solution is definitely not my *dream*.

Reply #3
I dunno...  Do smartphones support 1TB USB drives?    You'd have two "boxes" (or maybe you could Velcro them together) and together they'd be bigger than an iPod but I don't think you're going to get smaller than that.  

Reply #4
I dunno...  Do smartphones support 1TB USB drives?    You'd have two "boxes" (or maybe you could Velcro them together) and together they'd be bigger than an iPod but I don't think you're going to get smaller than that.

No, my dream is not  a phone with an external HD strapped to it ...   ::)

Smartphones maybe *could* support a 1TB internal SD (or at least, ~400GB microSD) card, though....and there are some smartphones with HDMI output....hmmm.

Reply #5
because an aggressively DIY solution is definitely not my *dream*.
For clarification, your innitial post was a rethorical question, right?

With DAPs going the way of the dodo and, unless you're willing to waive some of those features, (say, if you went for the phone + large SD solution already suggested) DIY'ing is probably going to be the only feasible option for your making your dream come true.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução