Skip to main content
Topic: High Definition Vinyl (Read 870 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: High Definition Vinyl

Reply #1
So they are hoping they can sell enough to make a profit. Besides that, what is the point?

Reply #2
This doesn't address any of the issues that I have with vinyl.

Reply #3
"30 percent more amplitude". In order to appeal to pseudo audiophiles PR will state it's "30% more 'tude than your grand pa's records"

Reply #4
I didn't know records weren't already HD, being analog and all.
Is 24-bit/192kHz good enough for your lo-fi vinyl, or do you need 32/384?

Reply #5
Hmmm. Sounds pretty SD to me.

Given that "SD audio" is usually thought to be 16/44.1 digital, this isn't even likely to match (mere) standard definition.

It's going to be significantly substandard, in fact.
So really it's SSD? Or maybe sSD?

Reply #6
Low Definition and Ultra Low Definition.  Extreme Low Definition.  Did I mention low definition?

Reply #7
in the unlikely event, this comes to the market place. Which I have my doubts

Would they be charging a premium price for this so-called HD Vinyl?

And would lovers of Vinyl pay this, If they already think Vinyl is perfect now.

And what would the LP Crackle sound like in HD. :))

Reply #10
I didn't know records weren't already HD, being analog and all.

Sarcasm aside, this is just what is wrong about the "HD" term in digital audio. Just a weasel word for the notion that certain other formats (44.1/16, but also 48/16) are not high enough.

Reply #11
The HD vinyl process involves converting audio digitally to a 3D topographic map.

And what would the LP Crackle sound like in HD. :))
Clearer snap, crackle, pop, with more resolution, but still blurred. Until MQA is used in 3D conversion.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #12
So basically this is just plain old vinyl with an updated (laser cutting or whatever) mastering process? Maybe curcumventing the need for the electroplating process? Still not buying into it from an audio perspective, but i can see how this process might cut the cost of vinyl production, especially for small runs. Not a vinyl-believer myself, but seeing how crucial physical sales are for small record labels and underground music at this time,  this might turn out to be a good thing after all. Just to clarify: i don't care much about those records. But i do care about those labels and the music scene.

Reply #13
Anyone got the irony of the next "audiophile" thing in analog audio being mastered in a purely digital process?

Reply #14
30% more amplitude is +2.28dB...   Almost 3dB more dynamic range!     ::)

Reply #15
30% more amplitude is +2.28dB...   Almost 3dB more dynamic range!     ::)

I assume that the direct-to-stamper laser cutting stuff might significantly increase the SNR anyway. In the best case, vinyl just got a bit less horrible. Also i suspect that if the amplitude can be increased by a significant amount, you'd also need a cartridge that mechanically can handle such high levels. Audio equipment salespeople will love this!

Reply #16
 "higher audio fidelity, louder volume, and longer playing times than conventional LPs. "

replacing a traditional cutting head with a laser ....all to get what CD already offers.  And it will still be noisier and less accurate to the source signal.

iow, typical vinyl fetishism

Reply #17
Not charging more would defeat the whole point of this. Its only reason to exist is that some people are planning to get other people's money by trying to sell them BS.

Reply #18
Not charging more would defeat the whole point of this. Its only reason to exist is that some people are planning to get other people's money by trying to sell them BS.

Ignoring all the audiophile-speak, i wouldn't call the whole thing bullshit per se. I can really see how this stuff *might* result in better or at least more consistent quality. I see two points of potential improvement here:

1. The HD Vinyl (*sigh*) magical  laser voodoo cutting process *might* be more accurate than what a traditional cutting lathe can do, because of the cutting stylus physics & dimensions, etc.

2. Unless you need several stampers (i.e. you're probably Jack White) there's no need for the electroplating process, one of the production steps where quality loss happens. The quality control in this step has a big influence on the surface noise and frequency response of the final product.
What you get out of the HD Vinyl (*aaarght!*) mastering process is a finished stamper that goes directly into the record press with no intermediary steps involved.
At least if i understood everything right.

But in the end, it's still vinyl with all of its well known problems and limitations.

Reply #19
2. Unless you need several stampers (i.e. you're probably Jack White)

I admit that I laughed. But is it so nowadays that LPs are shipped worldwide, or do they rather press locally/domestically due to shipping costs (or that vinyl runs are often just licensed off)?
(I did a quick check for import tariffs on LPs, and for North America or Western Europe there aren't much of it. Canada 3 percent is about it.)

Reply #20
Ignoring all the audiophile-speak, i wouldn't call the whole thing bullshit per se.
It's a plastic disc with a needle scratching against it.

I can understand using existing records. They can be fun. But coming up with new vinyl standards? Just... why? There is exactly zero reason for it, other than taking money from people who have too much of it.

Edit:
If some people can't stand digital for some weird reason, they could instead invent some new high-speed tape standard. Go for "HD Tape" or something. Good tape sounds excellent and is quite practical. But vinyl? Seriously, come on. This isn't about audio anymore. It's about the gadgets themselves.

Reply #21
Ignoring all the audiophile-speak, i wouldn't call the whole thing bullshit per se.
It's a plastic disc with a needle scratching against it.

I can understand using existing records. They can be fun. But coming up with new vinyl standards? Just... why? There is exactly zero reason for it, other than taking money from people who have too much of it.

Edit:
If some people can't stand digital for some weird reason, they could instead invent some new high-speed tape standard. Go for "HD Tape" or something. Good tape sounds excellent and is quite practical. But vinyl? Seriously, come on. This isn't about audio anymore. It's about the gadgets themselves.

So, you won't be 1st in line when it goes on sale then?  :))

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018