Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK shared/static library for linux possible? (Read 5358 times) previous topic - next topic

TAK shared/static library for linux possible?

Hi.
Is it possible to provide linux static / shared libraries to link against?
Maybe porting delphi code to lazarus pascal?
Thanks.

Sorry for my bad english.

Reply #1
Sorry, I might not be clear, can't find the edit button, so sorry for double posting.
From what I understand Thomas doesn't want to open source TAK.
Is it possible for Thomas to also build TAK static/shared libraries for linux and ship it with newer SDKs so people can make a native TAK decoder in linux without knowing the source of TAK?
Thanks.

Reply #2
Sorry, I might not be clear, can't find the edit button, so sorry for double posting.
Is it possible for Thomas to also build TAK static/shared libraries for linux .

I'm sure you have your own motivation that this would satisfy.  Note this would only run on X86 linux computers, not powerpc based, or the variety of audio appliances that run linux on ARM or powerpc processors. 

Try searching this site with "TAK linux" AFAIK the author is happy with a strictly Windows effort.

Reply #3
Is it possible for Thomas to also build TAK static/shared libraries for linux .

I'm sure you have your own motivation that this would satisfy.  Note this would only run on X86 linux computers, not powerpc based, or the variety of audio appliances that run linux on ARM or powerpc processors. 

Try searching this site with "TAK linux" AFAIK the author is happy with a strictly Windows effort.

AFAIK he wants to port it to other platforms eventually (that's what his website says even), but I remember hearing it was written in Delphi which is not very portable. Therefore only a rewrite in C/C++ or something along those lines would make this worthwhile (and probably get it included in RockBox and various software players).

Reply #4
OK.  I stopped following TAK a while ago.  At that point he was concerned that open sourcing would mean the demise of TAK as all the "goodies" would end up in FLAC

Reply #5
OK.  I stopped following TAK a while ago.  At that point he was concerned that open sourcing would mean the demise of TAK as all the "goodies" would end up in FLAC

It's rather difficult for FLAC to do much new and innovative things because now that they are "popular" they really can't risk breaking compatibility with anything (especially hardware players).

Reply #6
At that point he was concerned that open sourcing would mean the demise of TAK as all the "goodies" would end up in FLAC

And that's a fair concern. Open source or not, it's one of the best codecs around and he knows it.